1. Please be advised of a few specific rules and guidelines for this section.

RELEASED XS Mechs - Vehicle Edition 1.16a

6 Excessively Destructive mechsuits - Cheerful Giraffe

1. ColonolNutty

ColonolNutty Ketchup Robot

I haven't been keeping up on the dev logs, can I get a link to where they are? I last heard they were revamping space travel, but that's as much as I remember.

2. DraikNova

DraikNova Spaceman Spiff

Just go to the general Starbound section of the forum, and click on Dev logs. They're adding artificial gravity, locations in space (where you can find the new mech parts) and readding a bunch of old monsters and adding some totally new ones to fight there, plus they're changing the travel screen, and they're adding a pause button and a better rail platform.

3. Gratuitous Lurking

Gratuitous Lurking Space Kumquat

There was a few ideas on how the parts could be split up and toyed with in the ZZ thread, but I guess until we get the system proper noone's going to be able to experiment with them yet. Still, in theory the modular system that the new vanilla mechs work on could be modified easily to work with the XS/ZZ mechs, and even allow upgraded/special parts to be looted in the mech crates.

4. jonathonspy

jonathonspy Existential Complex

Sorry for bothering everyone, but how do i get the quest to go to ZZ's ship?
    Pete doesnt have the quest

5. DraikNova

DraikNova Spaceman Spiff

That's the ZZ mech modifications mod. You need to download that one too to be able to go to ZZ's ship, and I think the quest to go to Pete only unlocks once you've finished one of the missions, the Hunting Caverns (Floran) one, I think.

jonathonspy likes this.
  6. jonathonspy

ah, thanks!

7. LoPhatKao

LoPhatKao Space Kumquat

1.3 compatibility update soon™

not much to change, XS Mechs will be staying how it is

however I want to make a XS Parts pack so you can get xs style weapons at least for the standard modular mech
    bodies would be ok also, for the xs look - would be pretty much just cosmetic i think
    it won't happen for 1.3 release, sometime after tho

Toa_Derax and jonathonspy like this.
  8. LoPhatKao

LoPhatKao Space Kumquat

LoPhatKao updated XS Mechs - Vehicle Edition with a new update entry:

SB 1.3 update

Read the rest of this update entry...

Ainzoal likes this.
  9. LoPhatKao

LoPhatKao Space Kumquat

forgot to mention, Glad giraffe compatibility has been dropped
    all it was doing was causing non-critical errors to show up in log file

day later edit:
    apparently CF removed/renamed some of the sounds used, I'll readd them shortly in a future update

Last edited: Jun 9, 2017
  10. Ainzoal

Ainzoal Ketchup Robot

You sir are a god. So glad this mod is not dying even with the new mechs!

LoPhatKao likes this.
  11. rylasasin

rylasasin Cosmic Narwhal

Of course not.

As it stands, XS/ZZ Mechs have their own advantages and disadvantages when compared to vanilla mechs, and they operate quite differently.

Vanilla Mechs:
    Pros:
    • Flies in space.
    • Weapons are generally more powerful than most XS Mechs.
    • Modular Weapons and parts.
    • Repairs by absorbing batteries from killed enemies (in space anyway, not on planets).
    • Protects against environmental hazards (strangely enough, see cons.)
    • Automatically repair to full when you beam back to the ship.
    Cons:
    • Everything drains energy. Moving, attacking, damage, etc.
    • While they CAN be deployed to planets, there is no way to charge them on-planet, so it's only a matter of time until they "die" (hastened by weapon usage)
    • You can't use them on missions.
    • You can't decorate your ship with them.
    • If you encounter a part where the mech cannot follow, you must leave it behind. (This includes enemy ships.)
    • Unless you have mods or admin commands, you have to go to the outpost if you want to modify the mech.
    Overall:
    Vanilla Mechs are more "starfighters with legs" than they are combat mechs, being that their primary purpose is space exploration.

XS Mechs
    Pros:
    • Barring damage and player hunger, XS mechs can operate on a planet's surface indefinitely.
    • Are generally much more suited for planetary missions.
    • You can take them along on missions.
    • You can put them on your ship or base as a decoration.
    • You can "put them away" and bring them out again with ease, meaning you can get around spaces where it can't go (including enemy ships.)
    • Weapons are more creative
    • They look better.
    Cons:
    • They can take damage, and damage is permanent and requires repairing at penguin pete's.
    • You can't use them in Zero G environments (well, you can, but it doesn't work very well.).
    • You can't mine with them (at least not XS mechs. ZZ Mechs has one that can, but it's not as good at its job as the CF Mech.)
    • Save for the Sigma mechs, they're bigger than the Vanilla mech which means they're restricted to large areas.
    • They don't protect you from environmental effects.
    • You can't modify them (... yet.)
    Overall:
    XS Mechs are more suited for surface engagements, and for cheesing the main quest.

ChronoHyperion likes this.
  12. Gratuitous Lurking

Gratuitous Lurking Space Kumquat

13. tactics35

tactics35 Master Chief

i have a problem, when i put this mod in ST 1.3 spacefarer, my game is close by itself, after i deleted this mod, my game comes back normally without this mod, does anybody has this problem?

14. jonathonspy

is there any way to change the part where a few mechs are required to land again before they can resume hovering?

15. ChronoHyperion

ChronoHyperion Big Damn Hero

Hello, I hope you can make the XS and ZZ mechs modifiable, and can fly in Zero-G in the future.

16. DR911

DR911 Void-Bound Voyager

How to install?

17. ChronoHyperion

ChronoHyperion Big Damn Hero

:facepalm: Really?

18. SurfinDolphin

SurfinDolphin Void-Bound Voyager

This is by far the mod I've wanted the most, I always thought Starbound had this Sandboxified MMX feeling and this just made it more appearent. There is an MMX mod which focuses exactly on expanding this specific feeling by incorporating MMX into Starbound. But without the various mechs it just feels incomplete. By far my most favorite mech is XS S-07 Elite Sigma which is mostly because of nostalgia from playing MMX. I've always wanted to have Vile's mech, which has to be my favorite carrier mechs of all time. It can punch, dash, jump really far, and is equipped with a mini-gun of all things.

My MMX fanboying aside, I feel something that most of these mechs seem to lack is that the player cannot use any weapons, items or anything of the sort while controlling the mech. I feel this is needed because most of the time mechs don't offer enough versatility when it comes to equipment. You either have laser & bombs, minigun & bombs, saber & whateverthatorbthingiscalled, minigun & whateverthatorbthingiscalled. Although more diverse mechs may be included in a future update, I feel like allowing the player's character to still be functional whilst driving could prove handy. This could be done by assigning the mech's abilities to keys other than left and right mouse buttons, keys like X and Z which are never used (or F and G for easier reach.)

That's all I wanted to say, this is a great mod and is on my must-have mods list for Starbound. It adds the much-needed variety to Starbound. The mechs all feel unique and special, riding them is a pleasure. Much thanks to the creator of this mod for finally enabling me to have combat-focused mechs.

19. LoPhatKao

LoPhatKao Space Kumquat

20. jje64

jje64 Phantasmal Quasar