1. If you're looking for help-related things (for example, the key rebinding tutorial), please check the FAQ and Q&A forum! A lot of the stickies from this forum have been moved there to clean up space.
    Dismiss Notice

Feedback Empty Asteroid Fields

Discussion in 'Starbound Discussion' started by Doctor Stein, Jul 16, 2017.

1. Doctor Stein

Doctor Stein Subatomic Cosmonaut

I recently came back to Starbound and am loving it, and this is one of the only negative opinions I have on it.

Asteroid Fields are simply bland. All they are is a very, very large space with a few asteroids scattered around which contain either Copper Ore, Silver Ore, or Gold Ore. From what I remember when I played the Beta, Asteroid Fields contained things like abandoned bases and varying qualities of ore in asteroids. It is almost completely useless to go to Asteroid Fields now unless you want ore to create sections of your Space Station, and even then finding asteroids to mine is very droll since asteroids are spread out extremely far apart and you have to fly through vast distances of space to get to them.

To make Asteroid Fields fun and interesting to explore again, I'd recommend adding a lot of features to them. Depending on the level of star system add appropriate levels of ore. You can still have Copper, Silver, and Gold, just add things like Durasteel and Titanium in smaller amounts depending on the system. Also add the random locations again. There could be stuff like abandoned mining bases, small hideouts, maybe even wrecked spaceships that belong to factions like Cultists, USCM, Miniknog, etc. Also, perhaps with the addition of an item like a Gravity Generator, you could build functioning bases with gravity and airlocks and all that cool stuff! It'd be fun to set up a little base in an Asteroid Field to teleport to and mine for materials.

As is, Asteroid Fields are very boring and only useful for common ores. However with some optimization and added features, they could be very fun, and contribute more to the amazing game that is Starbound =3

DraikNova and TrippyJack like this.
  2. TrippyJack

TrippyJack Space Hobo

I agree! Plus, it should also spawn regular mech enemies instead of the ghosts, so when you've cleared all the frequencies in the galaxy, you can still get drops from there.

DraikNova and Doctor Stein like this.
  3. IxFa

IxFa Pangalactic Porcupine

Anomalies spawn and despawn continuously, just wait a couple minutes and more will appear.