1. If you're looking for help-related things (for example, the key rebinding tutorial), please check the FAQ and Q&A forum! A lot of the stickies from this forum have been moved there to clean up space.
    Dismiss Notice

Trying to find the (probably) impossible solar system.

Discussion in 'Starbound Discussion' started by Greenly, Jul 16, 2017.

1. Greenly

Greenly Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Hello everyone, I'm trying to find a fiery star that has all 4 "ocean" world types in it, Oceanic, Toxic, Artic, and Magma.
    Going by the wiki it theoretically should be possible. If any one has the coordinates of such a star please let me know! So far I have only found them with 3 of the 4, Toxic, Artic, and Magma.

I want to have it set up so I can do my fishing all in one place. Bonus if it has an asteroid belt and/or Ancient gateway!
    I will post coordinates myself if I find one.

Thanks!

2. Guest0241525

Guest0241525 Guest

I've seen Lava and Toxic, I've seen Lava and Arctic, and it sounds like you found a system with all these three. I'm really not sure if it's possible for an Ocean planet to appear around a fiery star - it might be tiered too low for that.

If what you're after is an infinite source of each type of liquid, there are ways to transform any type of liquid into another, allowing you to set up a liquid station for all in-game liquids on a single Ocean planet.

3. Greenly

I'm basically trying to see if I can have as many planet types as possible in one solar system. Since there are terraformers, I have the ability to change moons and duplicate planets into something else. But, terraformers don't exist for "ocean" worlds. Hence my desire to find a solar system with all 4 already in it. According to the wiki, there is a 5% chance of a tier 3 plant (oceanic, snowy, savannah) of spawning. I've seen fiery stars that have snowy and savannah so it is possible, but I've yet to see an oceanic one. That's why I'm saying it's probably impossible. So until someone can either confirm or deny that a oceanic planet can appear in a fiery star system, I will continue my search. The odds are not in my favor, but it is a massive galaxy out there.

4. sagenth

sagenth Pangalactic Porcupine

I'd love for the devs to release the algorithms for system generation. Could write a script or code to run through millions of variations finding desired combos.

5. lazarus78

lazarus78 The Waste of Time

It's all just weighted selection lists. You can look in the celestial.config.

Ocean worlds are tier 3 and are not even an option for tier 6 stars. I've spent a TON of time with the config.

Greenly likes this.
  6. Greenly

Welp, looks like my Probably impossible solar system is actually impossible. Thank you for the info! Now I'm just going to look for one that has the Magma, Artic and Toxic, with as many terraformable planets/moons as possible.

7. lazarus78

I stand corrected.

Tier 6 stars CAN have ocean worlds, however, they are only possible as moons for gas giants in the 6-7 orbital rings. But the probability is only 0.05 (5%)

For the breakdown:
    0.3% chance a given coordinate has a star. (~55,340,229,592,608,701 possible stars)
    20% chance that star is Tier 6 (Red) (~11,068,045,918,521,740)
    25% chance the number 6 or 7 orbital ring actually have a planet (~2,767,011,479,630,435)
    90% chance of that planet being a Gas Giant (~2,490,310,331,667,392)
    50% chance of that Gas Giant having a satellite (~1,245,155,165,833,696)
    5% chance of that satellite being an ocean world. (~62,257,758,291,685)

So there are statistically ~62,257,758,291,685 tier 6 systems out there that will have an ocean world in it. Which may seem like a lot, but that is a chance of 0.11% of finding a system with an ocean world, let alone one with one, two, or even three of the other worlds you are looking for.

But hey, it technically should exist...

Greenly likes this.
  8. Guest0241525

Guest0241525 Guest

Somewhat unrelated, but still relevant - has anyone found a star system resembling the solar system?

You know, 4 regular planets, 2 gas giants, 2 ice giants. Maybe 3 regular planets, since Earth can be skipped. I guess ice giants could also be regular planets, terraformed into frozen worlds.

9. Greenly

Well, that's "good" news. It's good in that it should exist, bad in the sense of how rare it's gonna be. So my search will continue for a system that has all 4. I'm still surprised though that I've found around 20 each of the snowy/savannah worlds, but not one ocean world in my search. That's why I was thinking it was impossible. With only a 5% chance I can see why. Thanks again for the help and the continued hope. I do hope for terraformers that can make ocean worlds in a future update to make this easier though.

I actually have a system bookmarked that is close in layout, but not in planet types. It has 2 inner planets, both Artic ocean worlds. 2 middle gas giants, one has 3 planets around it the other has 2. And 3 outer planets, 2 are magma worlds, and 1 toxic. It's a good thing this is a game that doesn't apply real world logic, since the artic worlds are near the sun and the magma ones are the furthest out. Coordinates: -917800539 97109712 Kyren Traverse is the name.

10. lazarus78

OOH! I forgot one bit. That chance is only for the possibility of a "tier 3" world, which includes ocean, snow, and savannah, so the final result should be 1/3 of that.

:rofl:

11. Guest0241525

Guest0241525 Guest

Sounds a lot of what I'm after, but 2 inner planets instead of 3 or 4 messes it up a bit. Have you seen any other worlds like that?

12. Greenly

Unfortunately not, I just look at the list from the star map view. If it doesn't have what I want I check the next one and so on. I don't visit any of the systems until I create the occasional bookmark to better remember my coordinates for when I leave the game. I'll keep an eye out, and if I find any more that better fit what you want, I'll post the coordinates for you.

13. Greenly

Here's one that's a little bit closer: -799978615 799999829 Eri Wake. It has 4 inner, 2 gas giants, and the only thing that doesn't match is that it has 4 outer planets. Although you could say it's pluto and planet X. No asteroid belt either though.

Guest0241525 likes this.
  14. sagenth

sagenth Pangalactic Porcupine

Without knowing the fashion in which those lists are utilized makes it impossible to predict system configs though. I'll keep dreaming of the day they release the algorithm in all its glory, just for the star systems though any further and we'd know too much. With great power comes great responsibility.

15. Greenly

I'm officially calling it impossible. Although the math says it is possible, I have yet to see any variation of ocean world be around a gas giant. I've seen dozens of snow, savannah, midnight, tundra, alien, jungle, volcanic, and scorched. But never any magma, artic, toxic or oceanic around gas giants. Yes I could be incredibly unlucky. I just don't believe it's possible, so until someone proves me wrong, my search is over. I have one star system that has 3 out of 4 ocean worlds, plus enough planets and moons to terraform into one each of every other planet type. Still looking for one that also has a asteroid belt and ancient gateway.

16. LilyV3

LilyV3 Master Astronaut

ah the good old starbound when all palnets could exist in a system.

Darkspinesupersonic8 likes this.
  17. Darkspinesupersonic8

Darkspinesupersonic8 Pangalactic Porcupine

I know, right? Those were the good days...

18. Apollo523

Apollo523 Intergalactic Tourist

i have seen something like that before when exploring with my floran so yes, it is possible still to find a system with the 4