Modding Help [Request] Customizable Tram/Lift Platforms

Discussion in 'Starbound Modding' started by Mr.SaunaBarrel, Jul 15, 2017.

1. Mr.SaunaBarrel

Mr.SaunaBarrel Void-Bound Voyager

So, I ran into this slight issue lately. It's nothing big really, but it just bugs me a little.
    I'm building this base and I'm setting up a transportation system using rails and all that.
    But I'm not quite estetically pleased with just having the small platforms and trams. I want something bigger, something like a big cargo lift or a big hangar lift.

So as the title says, I'd like to be able to freely build my own rail platforms and trams using hopefully whatever block and size I would see fit. I have an idea how this maybe could work gameplay wise, but I have absolutely no idea how to put it into code and a workable mod.

This is probably(definitely) no easy task, most probably not even possible.
    But if there's someone who think the same or think they'd be able to make this a thing. To make buildable platforms and trams a thing, then I'd be forever grateful to that person who makes it happen.

So cheers to the one who takes up my request!
    /Mr.SaunaBarrel

2. DraikNova

DraikNova Spaceman Spiff

Considering the fact that trams are vehicles, this'd be very very difficult to do. Maybe some sort of container-based interface for giving it the appearance you want could be made, but custom collision would be nigh impossible.

3. Mr.SaunaBarrel

Hmm, Would be a solution. I don't think the collision may be that big of an issue, though I may be highly wrong since I don't know that much about coding, but the way I'm thinking it might work if you make the tram/platform or the actual vehicle be just a block that you put on the rail. Then this block handles the actual vehicle stuff but it is so you can build and add other blocks to that block. If my thinkings right, which may be completely wrong, the actual blocks or items that you add will have their own collisions and hit boxes. This hopefully will not make the collision a problem.
    But that's if my thinking is right which it probably isn't.

4. DraikNova

DraikNova Spaceman Spiff

See, the issue is that you can't put the blocks on their in a legitimate manner given the way Starbound works. Blocks and placeable objects have to be on the grid. That's why trams were made as vehicles: so that they can move properly rather than be forced to sit in the same place. The most you can really do is just put their images there. Although my knowledge on vehicle collision is limited, from what I do know, changing the collision of vehicles whilst playing would be pretty difficult to get working properly.

5. Mr.SaunaBarrel

Ah, Ok! Thank you for explaining that for me! I knew about the grid, but didn't quite had the thought it was really that rigid. I still going to think about this though, because it would be really nice to have. But we'll see what it might use IF it can manage to work in some way.

6. bk3k

bk3k Oxygen Tank

Yeah an interface to change the vehicle is the only way. A far more realistic idea is just having various sizes.

It might be possible - and I don't think this is all that viable or would work well - but making "vehicles" whose intended purpose is to "stick" to other vehicles might be possible. They'd always try to make their relative position have a certain offset to other the regular vehicles. Keeping them visually in sync might not always happen well, and I don't think the engine is going to handle the multiple collisions well Multiple vehicles side by side are not going to make one solid collision.

And the engine gets wonky about that in less unusual conditions. Place a elevator that has platforms right next to it on the top and middle too, then stand roughly halfway between tiles. You'll see what I mean.