1. If you're looking for help-related things (for example, the key rebinding tutorial), please check the FAQ and Q&A forum! A lot of the stickies from this forum have been moved there to clean up space.
    Dismiss Notice

Starbound Theory Thread [Spoilers]

Discussion in 'Starbound Discussion' started by Guest0241525, Jul 8, 2017.

1. PyreStarite

PyreStarite Space Kumquat

No, I don't buy that for a second. I still stand firmly by every point I made, so I guess I will have to explain them again. I'll tailor it as a response to yours, @whipping post

1. Yes, that codex exists, but that doesn't mean that every atomic-like ruin belonged to a more advanced glitch.
    2. The furniture being different is an argument. The two different sets of furniture are designed to suit two different kinds of lifeforms. Hell, you can't even call Glitch lifeforms, they are just sentient machines. I make the furniture differences an argument because the Stylish set is cushioned, and more importantly, soft. Glitch do not benefit from soft furniture because of their hard metal bodies, which is why all Glitch furniture we are used to is solid hard wood. Hell, the Glitch bed is just a table with sheets and a pillow but over it. The Glitch use hard furniture because it doesn't negatively affect them. My last point here, advanced or not, Glitch, or should I say sentient machines because we don't know what the Doomed Glitch were called, are still machines. The "biological" differences between them are about as different between a Human from the space age as the medieval age.
    3. I still believe that Deadbeats were the original inhabitants of Scorched worlds, just as Fenerox are the original inhabitants of Arid worlds. You are making the assumption that because the Deadbeats use the Human base that they are human. I guess according to that logic that all Agarans are secretly Florans. Deadbeats are blue skinned with horns, but any other racial details are up for interpretation because the pixels may not make it clear, such as "Is that a beard, or a mask?". Yes, Deadbeat can mean Homeless. I think I would be a Deadbeat, a Bandit, or likewise miscreant if my home got blown to smithereens by the end of the world. They are homeless, because their homes got destroyed when their world ended, now they just scrap together what resources are left and huddle in what few structures are still standing. They make a lot of traps and the like because they want to protect resources they have. those resources are beyond valuable because they are all of what is left. And finally, yes, they do live in the buildings, they spawn in them, afterall.
    4. Again, completely using the codex to support how few human colonists there are out there. Do these look like "Colonists" to you? No, these are survivors, scavengers, Deadbeats. I should hope that when I think of colonization of foreign worlds that it should be something more to what we are familiar with. One example of what I think of colonization is the plague levels, especially the second one in the Starcraft II Wings of Liberty campaign. Also, WHY THE HELL WOULD YOU "COLONIZE" A DYING WORLD???
    5. You continue basing your argument on the idea that Deadbeats are just Humans in blue skin suits with horns. Do I need to make the Agaran/Floran comparison again?
    What you are not taking into mind is how furniture is designed, why people colonize planets, and the assumption that Deadbeats are Humans because that is how Chuckiefisk decided to create them, is using a set as a short-cut. Btw, did you know that the Shadow People are also actually Humans in a set? Are you going to make the same assumption that Shadow People are just Humans affected by some horrible Shadow Plague, or maybe that they are the lost souls of the Humans that died in space?

STCW262 likes this.
  2. Guest0241525

Guest0241525 Guest

I have to say, I'm with @PyreStarite here. Deadbeats do not strike me as human, despite using humans as a base - I'd say they're simply creatures with a similar speaking style, and I do think they were native to these worlds, long ago. They're vagrants camping in the ruins because there is no other way for them once their world came to an end.

Glitch furniture being hard instead of cushioned is also a great argument. While their designs would indeed get more modern as they progressed, they wouldn't need their chairs and beds to be soft.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 12, 2017
    STCW262 and DraikNova like this.
  3. Guest0241525

Guest0241525 Guest

I've had a somewhat enlightening discussion with Samuri, which seems to suggest that the 8th slot related in some way to the Ruin.
    And, something else came up!
    I'm not if Samuri has seen this thread, but if "no-one seems to have figure out" includes what we talked about here... I wonder, what could that be?

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 12, 2017
  4. DraikNova

DraikNova Spaceman Spiff

My guess is that that thing that no one has figured out somehow relates to the origins of the Cultivator and the Ruin.

Needie likes this.
  5. whipping post

whipping post Cosmic Narwhal

we'll have to agree to disagree.

(though i can't resist throwing this in, guys- you do understand that the glitch and therefore other simulated races don't realize that they're machines? at least on the furniture argument, that doesn't hold water for me. why wouldn't they use cushions? they think they're organics. the glitch COMMONER stuff is wood, because they're, lol, commoners, but have you seen a royal chair? or bed? cushion for days. current glitch stuff is uncomfortable because they're peasants.)

(oh, and again, the one deadbeat tenant you can get is also classified as a human. but like i said in my earlier posts, that could just be CF being lazy. i don't think the agaran/floran argument disputes this, because as far as i'm aware there aren't any agaran tenants, which means CF wouldn't have to flag them

EDIT: nope, i lied. they totally have agaran tenants, with their own unique dialogue. what was the "base" you were referring to? all they use from the florans are their speaking noise, everything else is unique and they have their own Agaran tag. that actually also kinda helps my point b/c since florans and agarans are distinctly separated now, and the deadbeat tenant is tagged as a human. i think they probably just painted themselves, mad max style. ((i get serious warboy vibes from the deadbeats lol) EDIT #2: though actually now that i think on it, i'm pretty sure that the "creepling" tenant that you can get is tagged "human" as well, which might be an issue. though there are no creepling NPCS, so -that- one might be an example of cf laziness? this is for sure a weak point in the theory

also, the dark people? what? they don't have any dialogue. there might be like, a human model underneath that, but that doesn't prove anything. what i'm looking at are dialogue and tenant tags, which are chucklefish's way of telling us what these things might be. they don't speak or do anything, and they're not tenants so they're equally not tagged. no relationship to humans at all except for yeah, maybe like a base model? all the base models are the same basic concept anyway

that's not what i said. that codex reference i made was designed to establish the fact that no large human colonies exist. therefore, the SCORCHED RUINS could not be human, because they are clearly large scale colonies, which humans, canonically, never made. as my theory that the deadbeats are human nomads (which another codex tells us is a completely unknown number, with around fifteen million humans colonizing worlds in small clumps) who came to habitate the ruins, the codex supports my point. i'm certainly not saying y'all are wrong, or that it's totally impossible or whatever, lol. these are all just theories

the sarcasm is a little unnecessary, bud. survivors? scavengers? where else would they go BUT a ruined planet? a whole planet literally covered in salvage that nobody else in their right mind is gonna go? it is a well storied sci fi tradition to plant savages and psychos on super inhospitable worlds.

also, something i totally forgot and was just reminded of now, running around on a scorched planet, not all of the deadbeats have blue skin. some of them wear strange jumpsuits with full face helms, swarthier, almost yellowish skin, which could totally be weathered human skin. this also implies that the deadbeats are -not- horned, and that's just an affectation of the armor, which could further support the theory that they're human.

Last edited: Jul 13, 2017
    STCW262 and oinkgamer like this.
  6. PyreStarite

@whipping post
    Alright, so some of my stuff may be outdated or fixed, buts let go anyways.
    1. While I can't prove that future Glitch would design furniture with cushioning if more resources were available, I went to Starbounder to see what Glitch think of comfort furniture. I learned that Glitch apparently have hides of (literal) iron while pouring over the Racial Descriptions, gathering that while other races object to the mere though of sitting on some of the most "uncomfortable" of furnitures in the game, the Glitch will almost never complain about sitting or sleeping in anything so long as it doesn't look horrifying or harmful, say a Flesh Chair. They find everything almost comfortable, their concern with some pieces is if it will bite them or not. The Glitch Royal Beds and Throne may have cushioning, but they are the only two Glitch furniture pieces to have them, and even then, it is not copious amounts of cushioning. Glitch can enjoy comfortable furniture, they just have an extremely high tolerance for comfort. Would Glitch design furniture that utilizes cushions? Neither of us can prove that. I will, however, in regards to the decaying buildings bring back the argument...
    2. Yes, I do believe that it is CF being lazy, trying to cut a corner, saving some time. The only similarity I see is the voice, but that does not mean they are human. I did make the Agaran/Floran comparison and this information is outdated and I am sorry. When I played, the Agarans were essentially the same issue, that they were just florans that spoke a funny language no one understood and wore mushroom masks, like these.
      [​IMG]
      The Agaran use the Florans as their base, just as the Deadbeats use Humans as their base, and the Froggs use Hylotl are theirs, etc. I don't know how much of this is patched, fixed, or updated. I have, however, found an interesting argument to see if Deadbeats take off their masks when recruited. As it turns out, my best argument that Deadbeats are as much Human as Agarans are Floran is that Deadbeats, like all non-player-races, and they can never be recruited, because they cannot give quests. The key here is that they are a non-player-race like Agarans and Froggs. Also, where are you getting that Deadbeats are classified as Humans? If you are getting it from Starbounder, same as me, then it could very well be an issue on the site's end.
    3. I have mainly already discussed this in point two. Why would they paint themselves blue? Or Yellow? Do you guys think that the Blue skinned Deadbeats are hostile? They are not, just to make sure you all know. The issue of body paint is why? I know for a fact that their skintone is blue (Or yellow off memory for hostile ones) because the Deadbeat cosmetic items, with the exception of horns, goggles, and masks, are transparent and expose their skin.
      [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
      I have no information on Creeplings. Never had one as a tenant, no Starbounder page. I can say CF laziness or a creepy guy in a creepy suit.
    4. Same argument as Agaran/Floran.
    5. They are not humans.
    6. Not humans.
    7. Some of the Bruisers do not have horns. Some are Uni-horn, others bald. Horns can be shaved off, but not much is provided here as to their identify. It is more suggested that they are a violent variant. Maybe the horn shaving is an initiation rite, but not at all likely in my mind. Maybe it is another variant of Deadbeat altogether, as they seem to be lacking in the horn department. Whoa, we can't even say for sure if the blue's horns are real!

7. DraikNova

DraikNova Spaceman Spiff

Creepling tenants constantly say "I'm just a guy in a creepy suit. Honest" and stuff like that, so...

Needie, STCW262 and (deleted member) like this.
  8. PyreStarite

Thank you for confirming the "creepy guy creepy suit" idea.

9. whipping post

whipping post Cosmic Narwhal

so human base, human. sadly like i said we'll have to agree to disagree. of note is that i did indeed get the human tag from starbounder, cos while they don't offer quests you can attract a tenant and that basetag is human. my fear is -always- that cf or wiki editors are being lazy, i hate it. i much prefer my loremongering in dark souls, where i just have to go find the item in-game and read it

as for the paint thing, it's just not that strange to me. primitive cultures are all about painting themselves (specific nods to native american ritual paint and old gaelic cultures woad, which in real life was not nearly as fancy as hollywood will tell us), and i keep making specific references to mad-max style warboys, who are also painted head to toe. war paint, with horned helms and intimidating looking masks make total sense to me, especially if there's some sort of conflict between the blue and more yellow ones.

though the fact that i often find them fighting could have nothing to do with any overarching lore thing. it's probably just the fact that yellow deadbeats are hostile and blue ones arent.

Last edited: Jul 15, 2017
    STCW262 likes this.
  10. Mallad5

Mallad5 Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Hey uhm uhh I was thinking one day and about the ruin once being a race and the 8th species maybe the ruin was the 8th species and maybe the ruin started eating it's friends and family but some escaped and became fossils because of this the cultivator ripped away the power of their artifact and (This could've lead to their extinction too) the cultivator took away their status as a species then maybe the ruin started converting it's home planet and maybe it's solar system and the cultivator furious that one of its first solar systems have been destroyed attempted to destroy the ruin but it survived releasing the cultivator's power then the ruin started making itself ready for it's feast of the galaxy by making drones and headed to the nearest solar system which was earth and devours it (Or it goes to earth to cripple it's biggest threat) and the game starts there. (Another idea is that the cult brought it to through its beliefs being inspired off that species and later they made them extinct and 10k+ years later the ruin attacks earth and has more people to worship it making it stronger but when you kill the cult members maybe it's weaker that would explain why the ruin is beatable and didn't just send a bajillion of everything at you so maybe it's powered off belief but this theory leaves out alot of things) Also this was written at 1:00 UK time (24 hour clock) so sorry. If I repeated or if this is flawed

11. PyreStarite

I had the opportunity to go back to Scorched worlds in my hopeless search for Foundry biomes and actually speak to them and observe more closely. Their clothes and other items can be obtained as cosmetic items that the player can wear, and again, those items are transparent which is why I still stand behind the idea that blue and yellow are their original skin tones. Your counter-argument is that the blue and yellow are either body paint or body suits, maybe a sort of hazmat suit, but I'm putting words in your mouth at this point. I agree that they are kinda living a sorta 'mad max' style life, scavenging what is left and avoiding what I am calling the 'Brutes', but I am arguing that they are deadbeat scavengers, not human. I think these are a separate species, but during my visit to the scorched worlds I was able to speak to them and to my dismay not only did they use the human voice files, but they also use human dialog, talking about Earth and how they miss it. This could mean that they are humans, but I'm not going to buy it and this could be CF cutting corners again. Why are they blue and yellow? Why are they wearing horns and masks? My most important question; Why are they unique only to Decayed biomes?

I still believe that Deadbeats are not humans, despite the fact they use human dialog and voices. If they are 'offworld' scavengers that just came looking to dig through scrap, then why are they unique to only decayed biomes? I get that there is only one scrap biome to dig through, but then why don't we see them on Toxic Ocean worlds? Not enough scrap? What about in space? There should be plenty of wrecked ships and stations for Deadbeats to rummage through if they were space faring. There is also the point that if they were human scrappers then why are they dressed that way? If it is for their blue v yellow gang war... it still doesn't make sense to me. If it is a mad max scenario with blue running away from yellow, then why would the blue paint themselves blue? If I wanted nothing to do with a war, I wouldn't dress as a soldier. If they were interstellar, then where is their ship? Their technology? If they came to decayed worlds, then why did they not bring any technology from their ship to help make their search for scrap or even their very survival easier? If you make the argument that they can't afford good equipment to take planet side then the chances are that they wouldn't have a very good ship to begin with that is even jump capable, let alone have life support on board. You can make the argument that they are space faring because you can attract one as a tenant. You can also attract a Fenerox tenant, and we know they aren't smart enough to build or operate a space ship. My last point, if they were scrappers for pay, then why aren't they found in scrap piles or anywhere where good loot might be found? They aren't, which is why they are found huddling in ruined buildings fearing for their lives, using traps and mines to protect their precious food and weapons that survived the end of their world, and marking their territory with watch towers manned only with riflemen.

So to recap in case I organized this post wrong, and using my past related posts, they are not human because; unique to decayed biomes, blue and yellow, horned and masked, no tech, no ships, none in space, soft furniture, and stuck in shelters.

Last edited: Jul 20, 2017
    STCW262 likes this.
  12. Guest0241525

Guest0241525 Guest

Here's something on the toxic planets being the remains of Glitch-like robot civilizations:

cfQdr - Imgur

13. DraikNova

DraikNova Spaceman Spiff

I ask myself the same question every time I watch the Simpsons.

14. Mallad5

Mallad5 Scruffy Nerf-Herder

They could've crashed and made some structures out of their ships

15. PyreStarite

Then why do the structures not look like ships? Why have they only crashed on Decayed biomes? We already know what ship wreckage looks like, just go see the penguin scrap yard at the Outpost. The point is that the structures do not look like ships, they look like barely standing buildings. If they were originally ship, then there would be ship parts lying around like engines, not urban stuff like busted up street lights.

STCW262 likes this.
  16. Guest0241525

Guest0241525 Guest

Everyone has their own ideas about Deadbeats, with their origins being left to player interpretation.

Personally, I believe they're their own race of blue-skinned, horned folk that came to live in the rubble of what was once a functioning civilization. But while I see them as parallel to humans in many ways, it seems a couple of others tend to rely on their similarities to humans much more strongly.

While I personally doubt they're humans, as their existence would no be doubt somehow acknowledged in human lore if that were the case, there isn't much to definitively say either way.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 16, 2017
  17. FarionDragon

FarionDragon Tentacle Wrangler

But who even said, Deadbeats are a race?
    As we have established, cf is lazy, so why programm multiple race encounters, when you can just make them unrecognizeable?
    That is where the masks come from. As for their origin, they are scavengers, who have lost everything in a universe terrorised by the occasus. And of course they have Ships!
    But have you ever seen a landed ship? Only in the tutorial, so it makes sense, that you dont see their ships, because they beamt down from them.
    And that(to me) explains the lack of surviving protectors. They lost their Planet, and have just flewn to a random planet, where they can hide and scavenge.

18. FarionDragon

And i thnk the mysterious fossil is an ancient.

The ancients tried to create life: regulated and doomed glitch.
    While designin, they advanched to the ruin. It doesnt abide life, it assimilates it. The ruin is the ancients. Hence their cycloptic designs. And i think i have proof, the ruin is made out of other creatures.[​IMG] See, how in the background there are multiple brains stuck together(excuse the picture, i am still new to this)? So the remaining ones summonned their god, the cultivator, to keep the ruin from assimilating their creations. After it shattered and the ruin was banished, they gifted their creations(the races) with artifacts, to defend themselves. The one you buy your keys from could be a novakid with a mask, his glow shining through the eyeholes.

19. MysticMalevolence

MysticMalevolence Oxygen Tank

Followup question/example of lore strangeness because of mysterious skeleton: if the ancients are a cycloptic race, all they have ever known is to have one eye, why would their creations be bicloptic (assuming the glitch are theirs)? Just seems a bit strange that the glitch would be modeled after some unrelated race instead of the ancients themselves.

STCW262 likes this.
  20. FarionDragon

The arent. the glitch have little screens on their face. I assume they where once Cycloptic, but Display themselves as Bicloptic to blend in.

theflamingchuthulu and Needie like this.