1. Please be advised of a few specific rules and guidelines for this section.

Outdated Starfoundry v1.3.2

Automation megamod including energy, pipes, magnets, data transmission and more!

1. ProfessorDey

ProfessorDey Void-Bound Voyager

You say that, but actually, if you look at the recipes for the work stations, notice that everything that isn't just a worktop/set of tools does actually require a power source in it's recipe (Wiring Station, Pixel Printer, Rail Crafting Table, Medical Station, Agricultural Station and Pet Station all require a Battery, meanwhile the Refinery, Primative Furnace and Apothecary require a fire, Campfires for the first two and a torch for the last, with the upgrades for the furnace requiring coal and then Volatile Powder respectively)

While they're not strictly 'Powered', They do all have a Power Source, meaning it does largely keep in line with what makes sense for a system that would require power.

Edit: It wasn't till answering this question that I noticed it myself, but it does actually work out rather well it that regard, the only real exception being teleporters, but you could construe the Teleporter Core as being some kind of power source. Not a perfect statement, but kinda works.

Last edited: Aug 1, 2016
  2. Nirahiel

Nirahiel Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Yep, but that means those power sources are infinite, if so, those machine do not consume power at all. Should I make some sort of battery or something in the recipes and make the machines powerless then ?

3. BreakingForce

BreakingForce Big Damn Hero

yeah, it seems like you already have a good bit of work on your hands as it is with the mod. remaking everything to need power except on the ship seems like enough more work to make it not worth it, especially when you consider that many people won't like the change. also, more things that need powered means more space taken up by power generation and storage which means less freedom in building plans. which is not ideal :D. power generation/storage is one of the reasons i got tired of FU. the in/out ports weren't clearly marked on anything, so i spent more time fiddling around trying to get the power to even work than i did with the rest of the mod.

4. ProfessorDey

ProfessorDey Void-Bound Voyager

As much as I love the idea myself, I'll agree that a power system will currently just add more work on top of an already complex project, just make sure things require AAs, batteries etc as appropriate and that'll be that. Wasn't trying to say anything more than that, so long as it's getting power from somewhere, it doesn't really matter overmuch.

5. Nirahiel

Thanks everyone for your answers. There is yet another solution. Starfoundry used to have "wireless" power transmission, let's use this. Some nodes to move power around, and that's it. Also it doesn't have to take up a lot of space, AND i could find a way to make spaceships act as a power source if using this system.

6. Djinnetic

Djinnetic Void-Bound Voyager

To me, power in these kinds of mods is a good cost for doing "work". Anything automating a task a player would normally have to do could be considered work. Crafting items, smelting ore, Moving fluids uphill etc... should cost varying amounts of of power based on how much work is being done. And with this machines could have varying tiers or upgrades which could affect power consumption.

The original Starfoundry had batteries as well, that could be placed in a receptacle as a means of storing and transporting power, along with varying tiers of power generation(coal, hydroelectric, nuclear)

Super excited to see someone working on this I've been desperately craving pipes since release. <3

7. BadShaddy

BadShaddy Subatomic Cosmonaut

Out of curiosity: is the project still going? Where can we follow it?

8. Hrath

Hrath Space Hobo

About the power system you could just assume that for all the vanilla machines the player is the power source.
    This also frees up the option of having the first generator with the lowest output be player powered as long as the player keeps the interface open.

Also but this is completely up to you you could make the machine speed scale with power supply e.g. Making them slower if under-powered.

Thanks in advance for being willing to do this project, looking forward to the results:nuruhappy:.

Nirahiel likes this.
  9. ender_omega

ender_omega Scruffy Nerf-Herder

I'm not a great coder, however I'm more than willing to help with debugging / spelling, progression, etc.

RE: Power -- I think that given the (seemingly) large base of FU users, it would be nice to have compatibility with their power system.

If this is still a project you're going to work on, can we get a separate thread started Nirahiel?

10. Nirahiel

Well, sure, i'll also recruit people to help, someone sent me a PM but then they never answered back.
    I'll create the new thread soon-ish :)

11. jje64

jje64 Phantasmal Quasar

Yes, I know I'm totally necro-ing this discussion, but is anything happening with this? As far as I can tell, this was starting to take off and then just stopped, but because it was apparently moving forward, another effort - Starfoundry Re-Coded - stopped and appears to have also been abandoned. So there were 2 attempts to revive this mod and then they both sputtered out.

I think this mod sounds fantastic, and obviously there are a number of people who are interested in using it - any hope of this or the other re-coding effort jumpstarting back up?

Thanks!

12. SivCorp

SivCorp Parsec Taste Tester

Much of the starfoundry mechanics are now within the Frakin Universe mod.
    Look there for the workings of automation :)

13. stealthXG

stealthXG Pangalactic Porcupine

Really? Meh....I really don't want to install FU mod just to use the automation. FU mod just fills up my inventory with a bunch of stuff that I have no idea what it's used for, which is why I uninstalled it.

jje64 likes this.
  14. SivCorp

You don't have to use all the other stuff in the mod if you don't want to. That's the freedom of using it.

jje64 likes this.
  15. jje64

jje64 Phantasmal Quasar

Please elaborate on this. I too just want the pipes and pumps and stuff, but I don't want the whole FU experience. Most of the automation mods have either died off or been swallowed up by FU, so this may be the only option. Starfoundry sounds like exactly what I'm looking for, so if I can get that from FU without all of the added complexity of FU, I'm in.

16. SivCorp

just build the starting bench for FU, upgrade it once, build the electronics bench, upgrade as necessary, enjoy all the automation. If you don't want all the seeds or world changes, don't pick them up or don't visit those worlds.

17. SkyeTheTerribleBeastie

SkyeTheTerribleBeastie Pangalactic Porcupine

I have the same problem- or a similar one, rather. I liked all the sciency stuff like the ore extraction and reprocessing and power and stuff, but I just don't have the CPU to run that AND the other gigabyte of mods that are included, alongside all the mods I already have. My pc has trouble hitting that sweet 60fps vanilla, and only gets to ~32fps with all my mods. And with Frackin' Universe? 10-15, and serious loading times of more than a minute.
    If someone could (with the author's permission) extract FU's science tables/whatever and make a standalone version, that'd be cool. It would just be cutting out a lot of the mod, but...

But anyways, the reason I'm here: does the current version of the mod work with the current version of Starbound? By the looks of it, it would appear not.

18. AngleWyrm

AngleWyrm Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Last update was over three years ago. You can click the "version" tab at the top of these threads to get a quick run-down on release dates.