1. If you're looking for help-related things (for example, the key rebinding tutorial), please check the FAQ and Q&A forum! A lot of the stickies from this forum have been moved there to clean up space.
    Dismiss Notice

Feedback Toxic Ocean Planet Retrofit // Redesign

Discussion in 'Starbound Discussion' started by Zeoinx, Jul 12, 2017.

1. Zeoinx

Zeoinx Phantasmal Quasar

So I warped down to the toxic planet, and this thought came out many times during the beta, and once again, I decided to come back to the game to still find this thought popping into my head. I plop down on the island of random generation, and find myself looking at the tall skyscrapers and other structures in the far off distance and find myself asking..... Why am I exploring useless islands with very tiny toxic filled holes, or tiny bridges that lead over nothing and mutated trees here and there, when I COULD be exploring the awesome looking skyscraper ruins that dot the horizon.

This just makes the universe that much more "well there is interesting stuff somewhere in the universe, but here, we shall plop you on a not so interesting island instead of the real cool looking area of the planet. have fun..."

General Nuclear and DraikNova like this.
  2. Zeoinx

Zeoinx Phantasmal Quasar

More interesting background.PNG

As you can see, a nice large giant group of structures just BEGGING TO BE EXPLORED..... or fixed up to be usable again....

General Nuclear likes this.
  3. Guest0241525

Guest0241525 Guest

Here is a player's take on the toxic city ruins.

Exilyth and oinkgamer like this.
  4. PyreStarite

PyreStarite Space Kumquat

While it would be nice to explore ruined buildings like those found on Scorched worlds, I believe it would be difficult to make them work with the island generation algorithms. They do, however, spawn hylotl houses and gardens on Ocean world islands, so we know it is possible.
    But for right now, literally all of the worth-while action is below the surface.

5. STCW262

STCW262 Heliosphere

That could also be a way to make exploring their surface less annoying, considering that most of the time it involves taking cover from rain, and moving between islands takes forever and requires lots of healing items if the Player doesn't have a boat.

6. PyreStarite

OOOooorrr you could just make/buy Antidotes, they literally last 5 minutes each.

7. STCW262

STCW262 Heliosphere

But not using the boat still is so slow it can make you feel miserable.

8. Zeoinx

Zeoinx Phantasmal Quasar

And again, exploring vast giant skyscrapers would be far more enjoyable on that particular planet style then sailing the poison seas of EMPTY NESS.... Those planets have nothing worth really looking at.

9. PyreStarite

10. Zeoinx

Zeoinx Phantasmal Quasar

Humor me, what exactly is "Under the sea" of poison....

11. CSigma

CSigma Void-Bound Voyager

It's kind of like the floor of an ocean world, only the ground is mud, sewage, and waste, there's some small structures made of sewer and heavy pipes and there's toxic barrels, the mutant tree things that grow on the surface also spawn there. Below that it's like the caves of any other planet.

Anyways I agree that toxic planets need a touch up, currently there's no real reason to visit them, there's nothing on the surface or under the sea and the caverns are just the same as any other planet and the resources can be found elsewhere.

12. florinblain

florinblain Subatomic Cosmonaut

I'm alright with toxic planets being a poison variant of the oceanic planets but I wish the scorched planets felt more urban. By which I mean I wish they looked like a blasted cityscape rather than a municipal tip interspersed sparsely with messed up buildings. I'd love it if scorched biomes' terrain was virtually level, had bitumen roads as their default top layer and densely clustered microdungeons comprised predominantly of very tall ruined buildings.

13. PyreStarite

Well, for one, you could go and find out for yourself, but asking is the shortcut. As said before by @CSigma, except there is also kelp trees. There are a lot of structures that look like junk with a brief glance, but a closer look and some excavation will reveal that alot of them have toxic chests stuffed inside of them. When I made one lap around the sea floor of a toxic ocean world I was not able to carry back all of the cosmetic items, which mainly consist of Hazmat, Mutant, and some other sickness/radiation related cosmetics. The toxic chests also contain blueprints for the toxic themed furniture. The chests are there, they just need to be excavated, as most of them require digging to reach. Still, however, if you are not interested in radiated treasures, then I believe you will not be satisfied as there are no skyscrapers sunk under the waves.

14. Starbounder82

Starbounder82 Space Spelunker

Make a separate Radiation Protection unit, put "Poison Resist" in the augment slot, and voila... no more need for antidotes.

krylo likes this.
  15. rubyoctopus

rubyoctopus Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Definetly. The especially since the parallax looks a *little* like some kind of Protectorate-ish city. Maybe for my next project, once my Protectorate Planetary Base is finished.

16. General Nuclear

General Nuclear Supernova

I have been complaining about all of this ever since i first try to move on to one of those planets.

Also a theory i mention on another thread.
    it looks like they used the buildings originally meant for the poison planet on the Scorched planets instead because they got rushed and hadn't begun on the ones for the scorched planet.
    And why i think this is because the buildings on the Scorched planets doesn't match with the buildings in the backround seeing that they are made of protectorate concrete that barely have be touched by the weather(i mean in the way that you can still what type of materia it is) there and the buildings spawning there are made of iron blocks which would match for the poison planet.

random starbound scorched city planets.png

rubyoctopus likes this.