Dev Blog Starbound Explorer's Guide

Discussion in 'Dev Blog' started by mollygos, Jun 27, 2017.

1. maestro kitty

maestro kitty Aquatic Astronaut

Actually, that's what a sex is. Gender is what one identifies themselves as.

2. General Nuclear

General Nuclear Supernova

no sex is when two people have intercourse with each other.

also you are not your gender thats just a part of the body.

the hole thing with ''there are no gender'' started with someone who was asked what gender are you and took it literally and said *gender? i am not a gender i am me* of course you are not literally a gender and then the other guy Replied with *you moron that was not what i asked you about!* and then it continued with *but you asked me what gender i am! i am not a gender* etc etc and so on. then someone saw it and figure it would be funny to play the devil's lawyer and fun to argue from there on and it just spread from there on to more people.

Last edited: Jul 12, 2017
  3. Guest0241525

Guest0241525 Guest

How about we drop this discourse over semantics? Especially this one, it's been started too many times all over the Internet, and it's giving me a headache. It has nothing to do with Florans, or with the Explorer's Guide, so I'm not sure if it belongs here.

When it comes to the Florans here, they're genderless in the sense that they reproduce asexualy, but can choose different ways to present themselves, some of these ways possibly influenced by the interaction with other races. It's all there is to it, and that's all "no gender" means in this case. There would probably be less confusion if Chucklefish changed that to "genderless" before the book goes to print, which I heartily recommend doing.
    I think @M_Sipher was talking about an "ending" to the original beta story here. The events concerning the Ruin were evidently written and implemented in-game, after all.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 12, 2017
  4. M_Sipher

M_Sipher Oxygen Tank

..........no.

EDIT: That was to the "discourse" because holy shit is there a buncha wrongness going on there.

And yeah, I was referring to the whole Greenfinger/Big Ape/Thornwing/Agaran/MYSTERIOUS ENTITY OOOOO arglebargle in the "they never wrote an ending". Everything about that reeks of "first draft".

maestro kitty likes this.
  5. DraikNova

DraikNova Spaceman Spiff

Ugh, that's a pile of discourse I don't want to touch with a ten-foot laser pole. Anyway, according to what the devs have said on reddit (https://www.reddit.com/r/starbound/...nt_have_genders_why_is_nuru_referred/djloc0i/):
    "Florans don't have a biological sex, reproduce asexually, and the concept of gender is not really a part of their culture.
    But we did give them two different body types (same with Avians), because to do otherwise would have sort of limited player customization choices. The idea was that they'd still choose to represent themselves differently -- possibly influenced by other species they've encountered in space -- and that they may have different body types, but they're not tied to sex or to a gender binary or societal gender roles."

maestro kitty, Cally94 and Pangaea like this.
  6. M_Sipher

M_Sipher Oxygen Tank

Yup. Which is a great explanation and a neat potential character hook...

...that they've admitted they really didn't get out there in the actual game well at all, and having had it in their heads, hadn't quite noticed that it hadn't been properly communicated, thus the confusion when the page turned up.

Which they can now rectify and make sure that info makes it out there in the book (and in future game updates, maybe) and confusion is cleared up for all those people not on key forums. Yay!

STCW262, maestro kitty and Cally94 like this.
  7. Cally94

Cally94 Scruffy Nerf-Herder

To be totally honest, the whole main quest line feels like a side quest... :cry:

8. Roskii Heiral

Roskii Heiral Heliosphere

(I think it is a sidequest, an excuse some people need to explore a really pretty sandbox that they otherwise wouldn't)

General Nuclear and Cally94 like this.
  9. M_Sipher

M_Sipher Oxygen Tank

I think we can sum up the "main" story with this.

[​IMG]

It's there to lead you to explore, find new peoples, new stuff, possibilities. It leads you to new environmental gear and tech and options. It's not The Point Of The Game. The point is how you customize your world.

The story just leads you along new ways to do so.

10. Guest0241525

Guest0241525 Guest

So, do we actually know when the Explorer's Guide is coming?

maestro kitty likes this.
  11. Kelzkat

Kelzkat Space Hobo

Is this a thing?

12. Exilyth

Exilyth Scruffy Nerf-Herder

(in a voice like a bunch of kids after a ten hour drive)
    "Is it there yet? Is it there yet? Is it there yet? Is it there yet? Is it..." :nurutease:

Slightly related:
    Do we know the ISBN yet so we can order it via the local bookstore the moment it comes out?

13. VoidicGod

VoidicGod Space Hobo

Will the book also explain what pixels are. I always wanted to know what the origin of this common currency was.