Gigantic shadowy bird flying over farm at night?!

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by batbunny, Mar 15, 2016.

1. batbunny

batbunny Void-Bound Voyager

Currently on my first play-through of Stardew Valley. It's Spring 13 of Year 1 and I was just dropped back to my farm following the Egg Hunt festival. I decided to do a few last minute tasks before retiring and at 11:10pm I was startled by a gigantic bird shaped shadow (at least twice the size of my character) fly over my farm! Is this normal? I don't remember ever noticing it before... and can only assume it's an Easter egg or some kind of event I haven't unlocked yet. Anyone have any information on it or witnessed it as well? I wish I'd thought to take a snapshot...

• Ghostly Fox

Ghostly Fox Heliosphere

I've seen what your talking about, I think. I just thought it was a crow 'close' to the camera from flying up high, UT it could be something else, given the sometimes ode things CA put in the game.

Tamorr likes this.
      • izzy82

izzy82 Subatomic Cosmonaut

I think those might be bats or maybe owls. I get freaked out when it rains because of what I can only describe as the mating call of space whales or the demon grunts. I wish I knew what was making those noises so I can have less nope in my farming schedule.

Lil' Mini likes this.
        • Ghostly Fox

Ghostly Fox Heliosphere

Well, the noises could be the Junimos- or their relatives, since the presence of little spirits implies the existence of larger ones, to me.

It could be the 'elementals' that the Wizard talks about. The noises could be Rasmodius himself doing experiments, as Marnie mentions that 'unearthly' noises come from the tower sometimes. Or it could be normal noises being warp as they echo around the valley that Pelican Town, the farm, and the surrounding areas are placed in. Choose the most comforting option?

Faeryheart and izzy82 like this.
          • sorrymyfault

sorrymyfault Phantasmal Quasar

i've only seen owls at night

MrToni300 likes this.
            • The Mr.Potato

The Mr.Potato Tentacle Wrangler

It is an owl and perspective makes it look big. I was rather entertained when i first saw it myself.

• batbunny

batbunny Void-Bound Voyager

Awesome! I hadn't expected responses so quickly. Owls do make sense. I just managed to mine a glow ring or I don't think I'd even have noticed it fly overhead. The noises freak me out as well but I'm pretty sure the odd belch-like noise is supposed to be bullfrogs, the odd inhuman yowling is coyotes... but the moaning really creeps me out at night and on rainy days. Thanks for the help guys!

Faeryheart and izzy82 like this.
                • Lil' Mini

Lil' Mini Phantasmal Quasar

Since I knew that combat was involved in the game, I was terrified by the multiple sounds during my first rainy day in the game. :rofl:

Pscyon, Faeryheart and izzy82 like this.
                  • deadleaf

deadleaf Void-Bound Voyager

• Stryder87

Stryder87 Giant Laser Beams

They are why you don't lock your chickens out of the coop at night!!

sunlite likes this.
                    • sunlite

sunlite Pangalactic Porcupine

One of my bunnies on my old save has adapted to being an outdoor bunny. He never complains and never goes inside. Not sure if this is a glitch, but either way it's hilarious, lol.

• Jerev

Jerev Pangalactic Porcupine

The chance of an animal attack is decreased by the number of buildings you own. Or maybe RNGesus just loves your bugged bunny ;)

• sunlite

sunlite Pangalactic Porcupine

I was finishing up that save with two more seasons, and he never was eaten. :)

• Lilliput

Lilliput Supernova

This is because every time a wolf tries for him, there is a hilarious off-screen cartoon chase where your bunny lures the wolf into falling off a cliff, plunging into the river, and getting blown up by the wolf's own elaborate Acme-branded traps.

If only you could stay out there all night and see the antics when you're not around!

• Borodin

Borodin Oxygen Tank

I'm fairly certainly it's a crow. I've noticed in one instance that the following morning after it flew over, a plant had been killed where a scarecrow's influence didn't reach. That's not conclusive evidence by any means, but it leads me to that conclusion.

Of course, owls are cooler.

• Lilliput

Lilliput Supernova

[​IMG]

The actual sprite of the shadowy bird, as taken from the game files. Very much not a crow.

• Jerev

Jerev Pangalactic Porcupine

Then stick to your conclusion because that sounds way cooler than just owls. You have giant crows stalking your farm at night, only to prey on your crops in the morning in front of you in order to taunt you.
                                  But as @deadleaf pointed out: the wiki says it's owls.
                                  http://stardewvalleywiki.com/Animals#Owls

• Borodin

Borodin Oxygen Tank

True, but looking at the sprites Lilliput has put up--it certainly resembles a horned owl. Unless, of course, it's a crow in a rented horned owl costume.

• Lilliput

Lilliput Supernova

Those crows are wily and clever! Next they'll disguise themselves as county farm inspectors and ask for samples of parsnips at your front door!

• Borodin

Borodin Oxygen Tank

You mean that farm inspec...? That she....?

Why of all the nerve! There will be a reckoning with that swine of a crow in a horned owl's costume!

ChaosAzeroth likes this.