Shane Questions and Development

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by GMABROJA, Jul 11, 2017.

Tags:
  1. GMABROJA

GMABROJA Space Hobo

Hi, sorry if you guys have seen this thread multiple times. I tried searching for it but haven't seen anything so far, so I thought I'd make a post.

I really liked the idea of Shane as a spouse. I like his character development, I like how he's flawed, and I just enjoy that he has this little immature vibe that's trying to grow into the husband role. The problem, is that I've run into a few questions along the way:

1. Why is he not helping around the farm? He's at like 11 hearts and counting. I usually get my stuff done in the morning, so does it need to be a certain time?
    2. Matter of fact, he's not doing any of the chores that are expected from a marriage. He isn't making food or helping around the farm-- what gives? What are the requirements?
    3. His Marriage schedule is not the same as the Wiki-- in fact, he's just a house husband and pretty much does nothing.
    I'm not sure what the issue is. Is this because I'm working on the community center? Is this because I haven't reached 12 hearts? Is this because it's still the same month that we got married in? What pre-requisites did I miss?

Also feel free to share your opinions and experiences with Shane as a husband! I couldn't find a lot about him and I know I'm supposed to play through the game to find out, but I'm just really curious how everyone else is feeling about their choice and what the results were.

• Seismothesaurus

Seismothesaurus Scruffy Nerf-Herder

1. The extent of 'help' spouses give on the farm is occasionally repairing fences, watering crops, feeding animals, and filling your pet's water bowl. If they did any of those things, they'll let you know the first time you talk to them. It happens before you wake up, so you'll never actually see them do it. They don't do it terribly often in my experience (I've just married one person so far)--maybe once a week or every other week.

2. The only indoor chore they really do is give you breakfast sometimes. I don't think it's that often; about the same as the other stuff.

3. He should leave the house on Mondays and Fridays. If you talk to him in the morning on those days, he'll tell you he's going out. On Mondays, he visits Jas and goes to the forest. On Fridays, he goes to Pierre's and then to the saloon. If he's not doing that and is still in the house on those days, your game may be bugging out.

Not sure about the CC part since I married him long after I finished it, sorry! But I don't imagine that it would conflict?

Spouses being lackluster has been a common complaint with SV. I guess we spend so much time with them that we hear all they have to say, and there's really not much else that can be done with them (no more heart events, no ability to go on dates or anything). I love Shane but I had to make a dialogue mod for him after a while. Edit: I do have to say, I've seen a lot of people say that their spouse will sometimes just stay in bed all day and get snappy with them, even if hearts are high. I've never had this happen with Shane. He still gets depressed sometimes, but he's never taken it out on my farmer. Not sure what's up with that, if it's just RNG or what.

DreamerDrop likes this.
      • ChaosAzeroth

ChaosAzeroth Existential Complex

RNG decides how helpful ALL spouses are, most of the time my spouses have been useless as breasts on a fish.

Seismothesaurus likes this.
        • Seismothesaurus

Or when they do help, they don't realize what sprinklers and auto-feeders are, bless 'em.

• GMABROJA

GMABROJA Space Hobo

What's RNG?

Also, I'm on the XBOX One so unfortunately I won't be able to actually use and mods, not unless they allow mods in the future. But! I still thoroughly enjoy the game, I'm just a little disappointed that it is (like you've mentioned) a little lackluster. Especially with the in-depth cut scenes that we had before marriage. I have yet to experience any unhappy or depressive moods from Shane, I'm wondering if this will occur more in Winter, like a seasonal depression, or if it just never happens.

We are officially in the second season of marriage, and he has given me a few meals and has mentioned being out of shape. But no luck with the crops-- That's the one I really want. Especially with the large fields of wheat. I just want the crops to be watered! It'll be good for him! Especially when his entire diet are pizza poppers..

• GMABROJA

GMABROJA Space Hobo

Also, I'm looking at the mod you hyperlinked and honestly I wish we had mod capability on the console version. I totally agree with the creator when they say that the "deadbeat" aspect is not true to his personality. It really isn't!

• ChaosAzeroth

ChaosAzeroth Existential Complex

Random Number Generator

Basically it 'rolls' for results. Random. Well within limited perimeters. I mean they aren't going to like... Burn your farm down? But 90+% of the time my spouses don't even TRY to do anything... Beyond lack of stardrop lacking a spouse isn't a huge deal gameplay wise for those of us with crap luck.

• Seismothesaurus

RNG = random number generation, how the program decides which result you're going to get from a set of options. I hope I'm wording that alright, I'm not a programmer at all!

Yeah, it's too bad that XBOX doesn't have mods. It's still a great game without mods, but the endgame does get a bit empty. Fair enough, coming entirely from one developer. He probably didn't expect people to put in 400 hours (I didn't expect to, either, but here I am).

Sometimes Shane will say he's losing weight since he moved in. Probably all that wandering around the house looking at stuff, lol.

Thanks, I'm the creator of that mod. :) It was my first mod ever, that's how determined I was to give him better dialogue, lol. I'm glad that I'm not alone in interpreting him that way. I feel like the dev didn't entirely understand Shane's appeal as a marriage candidate (he wasn't one when the game released), so when he went back in to do Shane's marriage dialogue, he went in a weird direction that didn't really jive with Shane's character development by 10 hearts. Like he knew how to make a compelling character with depression, but didn't quite know why it was that people wanted to marry this guy.

Last edited: Jul 12, 2017
                    springacres likes this.