1. If you're looking for help-related things (for example, the key rebinding tutorial), please check the FAQ and Q&A forum! A lot of the stickies from this forum have been moved there to clean up space.
    Dismiss Notice

Hunger alarm..

Discussion in 'Starbound Discussion' started by Barleyman, Jul 3, 2017.

1. Barleyman

Barleyman Void-Bound Voyager

Simply put, I can't hear it. Now having searched the forum I know the attitude is that's its my own fault for being deaf / hard-of-hearing but seriously, it's so faint compared to everything else that I have to crank volume up to obnoxious levels to be able to hear that faint beeping.

Oxygen alarm goes on top of the character which is darn easy to notice, hunger flashes @ the corner of the screen which isn't that noticeable especially since the bar is quite small. When happily mining or crafting I suddenly buy the farm since I overlooked the flashing, pop goes 30% of pixels.

I guess I could try finding the warning beep but it's probably mixed at low volume to start.

Zlyvr and Trenix like this.
  2. ManaUser

ManaUser Cosmic Narwhal

Weird. I don't find that to be true at all. I consider it a rather hard to miss sound, annoying even. I guess really it must be your ears, or maybe your speakers. But this is something that's pretty easy to fix in any case. I went ahead and knocked together a very simple mod that changes it to a car horn. Overkill maybe, at least you'll be able to hear it. There's probably a better replacement, but since it's a bit mysterious to me why that sound is hard for you to hear I'm not sure what to use.

The mod is attached to this post.

Attached Files:

krylo likes this.
  3. Barleyman

I'll check that out. I can hear the beep if I crank up the volume a fair bit, it's clearly mixed quieter than SFX. If the end result is <40dB I won't hear it regardless of what kind of sound it is.

4. Barleyman

The whole issue would be a moot if you could put that knife and fork or hunger bar over the player like the oxygen meter..

Anyways I modified a bit that big stomach mod so full belly goes for 1h 45min. And takes a pile of food to fill.

5. Trenix

Trenix Twenty-three is number one

The sound is low. I can notice it but it sounds too light and misplaced. Also there have been times where I heard my girl's hunger being low, but she didn't even notice it. That's a little problematic.

6. ManaUser

ManaUser Cosmic Narwhal

From what I've seen the developers aren't very responsive to this kind of concern, so modding is probably the best solution for people who have trouble with this. Putting a sign over the player is beyond my newbie modding skills, but I imagine a more experienced modder could do it pretty easily. Even though I don't have a problem with the current setup, that seems like a pretty good idea.

Last edited: Jul 7, 2017
  7. Zlyvr

Zlyvr Phantasmal Quasar

Same here :(
    Every time I'm trying to play in survival or hardcore mode my char dying from hunger in first 10-15 min just because I can't hear warning :(
    So I have to play only in casual...

8. Barleyman

Try the bigger stomach mod. I copied it to steam workshop or you can find it here. With the mod your stomach is 3x or 5x bigger so you can go on for 1h 45min on one refill. Needs pretty decent pile of food of course.

I still can't gear the alarm but it's much less likely I die because I was busy doing something.

9. Pyma21

Pyma21 Void-Bound Voyager

I have the same issue. How can we use your mod?

It is difficult for noobs to juste increase the sound in the files somewhere? Thanks :)

EDIT : test it, it's working perfectly ! A little bit too strong to me but I prefer this than dying lol

Last edited: Aug 10, 2022