Tool SMAPI: Stardew Modding API

Discussion in 'Mods' started by ClxS, Mar 6, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. clueless frog

clueless frog Intergalactic Tourist

Hi, my game crashed when I used a hoe on a cask in my basement and now it won't reopen. Anyone know how to fix this?

• 13akoors

13akoors Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Do you have the error log?

• clueless frog

I'm trying to pull it up, but its not showing anymore

• clueless frog

I fixed it! I just reinstalled smapi

• Pathoschild

Pathoschild Tiy's Beard

@clueless frog That sounds like a known game bug (not related to SMAPI). I'm guessing reinstalling SMAPI didn't fix it, but something else you did at the same time (like rebooting) did.

• Kyluridae

Kyluridae Void-Bound Voyager

Hey, my game is crashing when it tries to save. I get into bed and it tries to save then goes black and crashes. I have not downloaded any new mods since the last time I opened the game so I'm not sure what it is. This is the first time I've tried to read the error logs so sorry if it's something obvious :confused: I see that SMAPI is about to update so I might download the beta and see if that helps. Here's the crash log.

EDIT: It's not crashing on my dummy save file which is a bit annoying. So it's something that I'm doing in the game. It also crashes if I exit out of the game to the menu and try to open a different game. Don't know if it's related. Didn't give me a crash log for that.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 6, 2017
              • Yober

Yober Space Hobo

I tried to host a game for me and my friend. I had him join earlier today as a test and it worked fine but now i made a new character and world and tried to get him to join and it just instantly crashed my game multiple times. please help.

Attached Files:

• Pathoschild

Pathoschild Tiy's Beard

• Pathoschild

Pathoschild Tiy's Beard

@Kyluridae We don't get much information from update-loop errors, so you'll need to narrow it down. Does the problem happen if you temporarily remove all mods? If not, install each mod one at a time; after each install, check if the problem is back.

• Pathoschild

Pathoschild Tiy's Beard

Stardew Valley 1.2.31 is released (see the release notes). This update shouldn't affect any XNB or SMAPI mods.

Ladysarajane likes this.
                    • Kyluridae

Kyluridae Void-Bound Voyager

Okaaay so update on my problem. First of all it seems to be only the one file. I haven't run into the issue on any of my other files. The only difference I can think of is I have a horse and a stable in this file. I redownloaded SMAPI and was slowly uninstalling mods but nothing was changing. Then I accidentally ran the game through my backup folder that's in a completely different location. It's where I keep backups of all my things when trying new mods, except I just copied everything so its got the everything it needs to run. I've never done this before. And it worked there. Even though it still had all my mods installed. Steam could detect I was running the game and said I was running the game, but I don't know if I was actually running it through Steam at that point. Discord could not detect that I was running the game, but can detect it if I run it in the normal C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Stardew Valley location. Also my file in the normal location detected I was able to save in the other location, however It won't even allow me to open the save file now. One thing to note is that I have all the normal .xnbs in the different location file. So no animal reskins or map retextures. However these are all working fine in my other files. Included latest crash log but it doesn't really look any different from the other one.

EDIT: Ok so I just tried running this file in the other location in my newest backup. This backup literally shouldn't be different from the normal one at all. Besides that I was running the game for a few days. Like, has all the same mods, all the same retextures, everything. It's just not located in C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Stardew Valley. It's in my documents. Still worked fine.

...while I was typing the edit thought I should try opening it in the normal location. Everythings fixed now....I'm so confused. Happy ending though? I opened it in a different, weird location and it fixed itself.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 7, 2017
                      • Pathoschild

Pathoschild Tiy's Beard

@Kyluridae I'm guessing the problem was caused by one of your XNB mods. If so, playing the backup copy of the game let you continue past the error, so when you went back to your main copy you'd already progressed past whatever was triggering the error condition so it worked fine.

• Pathoschild

Pathoschild Tiy's Beard

SMAPI 1.15 is now available on Linux/Mac/Windows! This update mainly adds new features and changes for mods, prepares for the upcoming SMAPI 2.0, cleans up the console a bit, and revamps TrainerMod's item commands. See the release notes for a full list of changes. This is the last big release planned before SMAPI 2.0.

Feel free to post bugs/suggestions/comments in this thread. :)

Karmylla likes this.
                          • Xuomi

Xuomi Phantasmal Quasar

@Pathoschild I installed the new SMAPI update and for the first time ever, Avast didn't seem to like the file and Steam locked up. Even after I added exclusions to the program, Steam was locked instantly and would not run. I've restarted my laptop 4 times after uninstalling and reinstalling the update only for Steam to freeze immediately (Avast no longer flagged the file). I uninstalled it for a fifth time and reverted back to the 1.14.1 update and everything works fine again. I don't have an error log to provide since I was never even able to open the game, sorry.

• Pathoschild

Pathoschild Tiy's Beard

@Xuomi Antiviruses often block SMAPI for a while after a new release, because it's a new install they haven't seen before. As more users install it, most antiviruses should stop blocking it. I'm not sure what's causing Steam to lock up, though; maybe Avast is still doing something to the file even though you excluded it?

I'm looking into code signing for SMAPI 2.0+, which should reduce false positives like this in the future.

Xuomi likes this.
                              • Xuomi

Xuomi Phantasmal Quasar

I'm not sure what's causing it to lock up either, but I'm going to stick with the previous version for a little while today and I'll try updating again later tonight or tomorrow. Hopefully everything works out better then. :)

• koobish

koobish Void-Bound Voyager

Before this update, SMAPI would hang on "starting game..." for no more than ten seconds. With this update, it seems to be hanging there for a few minutes and then delivering this error.

(SMAPI 1.14 also f'ed up my game pretty horrifically, but that's a separate issue that I hope will be resolved with this update. I didn't submit error logs because it made my computer freeze and crash & could only be fixed with manual restart.)

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 8, 2017
                                  • Pathoschild

Pathoschild Tiy's Beard

@koobish Here's the important part:
                                    There seems to be something wrong with your Steam client. Based on some quick searching, reinstalling Steam might fix that error.

• nocturnite

nocturnite Space Hobo

I have tried and tried intsalling smapi. Doesn't want to work.

I followed the instructions linked to on the wiki, on the smapi install site and on youtube literally following along and doing the same thing and I still get the "cannot find game" error.

I don't know what else to do.

• Pathoschild

Pathoschild Tiy's Beard

Thread Status:
                                      Not open for further replies.