A simple answer to major conflict. Why not turn the story into a dev-made mod?

Discussion in 'Other' started by Omegagreen, Nov 13, 2016.

Tags:
?

You think this is a good idea?

1. Yes.

66.7%
  2. No. (Please state reason if this is the case)

33.3%
  1. Omegagreen

Omegagreen Starship Captain

I mean, seriously, the story can get in the way of your own story, but some people seem to enjoy the story for some reason. If you are really focused on trying to please everyone, why not turn the story into a dev-made mod?

Since the philosophy of being mod-compatible is "If you don't like the game, add more mods" and modding the story OUT of Starbound is proved to be an irritating task, changing the story into just an addon that you can disable at any time would give the players a lot more freedom.

Now you're probably asking "Well, if the story isn't there, how do you fix your ship?" Easy answer, make the core fragments one of the parts to fix your ship like in Glad Giraffe, make the outpost a selectable coordinate when this is done and finally, just have Pete sell you the crystals. There, story averted. The dev mod would simply add in Esther, remove the option to buy crystals and drop the Very Plot Relavent Gate into new garden planets when you load them with the mod.

This will however, cause an issue if you go into a world where you haven't gone to the outpost with the mod activated and said world was created before you activated the mod. This could just mean that that particular world must be played with the mod disabled. Though for vice-versa, the plot things could just be left buried somewhere in the game's assets. This would allow anyone to disable and enable the story completely at will.

And that's my peaceful answer to this issue.

Virdex_, soulsword3 and Valardy like this.
  2. Kajnake

Kajnake Void-Bound Voyager

Its a pain to create new character and start doing so much walking and text speed-clicking
    I dig it
    Make boss weapons and missions aquirable through something and well be on our way to a *really* open sandbox

soulsword3, Valardy and Omegagreen like this.
  3. Littleman9Mew2

Littleman9Mew2 Zero Gravity Genie

Actually, I feel as though they were trying to make the outpost (and even the ruin?!) a travel destination like planets, as the graphics for them are found in the game files, and I like this!

Omegagreen likes this.
  4. bk3k

bk3k Oxygen Tank

No because
    1. Mods will never have the same penetration as something that is a part of the game... even if the mod is from the developer.
    2. Some people are... I dunno allergic to mods. I don't truly understand the objection some have, but many of these people are STRONGLY against mods.
    3. Consider the servers. Before considering any other mods, vanilla(no story) servers and vanilla(story) servers. You'd need the story "mod" to play on the story servers, and need to remove it for the no story servers.
    4. #3 is complicated by the ways the different implementation necessarily will imprint into the character's data.
    5. I don't think the amount of people who hate the story aspect would be enough to justify all the problems this would create... and implementation effort needed.

It makes more sense to just have a "story skip" mod for the small minority who'd prefer this. I don't know if one exists, but it easily could be made. Or better yet the devs adding another check box on the character create screen to activate a vanilla solution that does the same.

The Ruin didn't exist in game until 1.0(excluding pre-1.0 nightlies) but "Mysterious Ruins" (or whatever it was called) did exist as satellites in every system. Those had a teleporter that brought you to the Outpost. Also it could teleport you to "The Ark" which got integrated into the Outpost(the part Ester and the story NPCs are in).

STCW262 and Ludovic like this.
  5. YellowDemonHurlr

YellowDemonHurlr Ketchup Robot

This seems like the most logical approach. You can already skip the tutorial, why not skip the whole story and go into sandbox mode?

Ludovic and Quinch like this.
  6. Omegagreen

Omegagreen Starship Captain

Sorry to reply so late, but the mod could simply come preinstalled and toggled on and off. Like Don't Starve's Screecher mod. I'm one of those people who like to play games in vanilla too actually. And why does the Story necessarily need to be part of the game?

7. bk3k

bk3k Oxygen Tank

With the way mods work in Starbound, you are describing an option not a mod.

8. soulsword3

soulsword3 Void-Bound Voyager

the Story isn't even that good,the message is quite cliché and you hope that there will be a twist in the end and the villain might have a point but nah,it lacks of complexity and waste the time that i could have been spending with more interesting things,since Starbound is an interesting game,i wouldn't bother,they could just retire the story out of most missions and make it like it was before they added all this story,and the story mode would add the end,Esther and some other things that would make it more worth playing it

9. Grave Knight

Grave Knight Subatomic Cosmonaut

Oh, kind of like how ShadowRun Returns (and its sequels) do it? The main story is just a story mod.

10. Ozoner

Ozoner Poptop Tamer

The story isn't compelling enough, it's fun to play through once, because everything is new, but there's no attachment to the characters, which makes the Baron's Castle's Siege a lot less intense. I think the game just needs lots of unique quests as opposed to one main required storyline, so having it as an option would be great... and having characters in there own universes would help with that

11. Virdex_

Virdex_ Void-Bound Voyager

Do you know why I voted YES?

With the main story not being around, it's simpler to make user-made mods that add their own story. It would expand the game if done well!

12. Grave Knight

Grave Knight Subatomic Cosmonaut

Honestly, I had more emotional attachment to Asra Nox. Like her fight is probably the most memorable, and reading her lore I kind of identify with her (except for the whole xenocide thing).

I think what would have helped is if there were a chain of missions for each of the characters rather than a single one for each. But instead of missions they decided on "scan objects" kind of thing. Like you don't need to tell players to go scan these things. We'll naturally want to scan them in order to build them later if we do colony stuff. But, hey, maybe they'll do DLCs for each of the races that add more missions concerning each of the character. Er, though, if they do, do DLCs they should start with Novakids seeing as they have nothing. Then I would love a Asra Nox DLC where we need to either stop her from completing the Ruin's work or save her (or both).