Building/Ship Let's See Your Ship

Discussion in 'Screenshots' started by Felonious, Dec 9, 2013.

?

What do you use your ship for?

1. Storage

748 vote(s)
    46.8%
  2. Decoration

676 vote(s)
    42.3%
  3. I can put things in my ship?

175 vote(s)
    10.9%
  1. moremuffin

moremuffin Cosmic Narwhal

I'm the same, there's just something about magnetic weaponry that's really appealing.

IxFa likes this.
  2. lazarus78

lazarus78 The Waste of Time

electromagnetic*

We ain't talkin bout guass weapons here! Granted those are almost as cool as rail cannons, but not nearly as cool. @_@

3. moremuffin

Alright put me out of my misery. Are the sloped engine blocks a personal mod or am I just missing something somewhere? Been looking everywhere because I wanted to use them for something.

4. Pohany

Pohany Parsec Taste Tester

Sloped engine block I made myself. http://imgur.com/8TJdB3w

moremuffin likes this.
  5. moremuffin

Well I suppose I can at least stop digging through every mod I find at least.

6. Pohany

Pohany Parsec Taste Tester

If you know how to add a tile, I can share the png file ! If you do not know, I can still share png ( ̄∇ ̄)

moremuffin likes this.
  7. moremuffin

That would be great. I've only got a basic idea of modding, but that's mainly due to doing the bare minimum to get mods working after a major patch. I should be getting around to learning properly eventually.

8. Solar Ace

Solar Ace Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Howdy! So ive been working on my ship for a while and after looking at some of these I realized that my ship looks like a mess. I'm redoing some of the rooms and cleaning the place up a bit but I would like some help. 211820_screenshots_20170630194023_1.jpg I'm redoing the large back room which at the moment is the cargo hold and the room at the bottom towards the stern which used to house the shield generator. I can divide the aft-most room into two due to its size or even three if i really wanted to. I still want a cargo hold but not as big as it is right now and I want a hangar for small fighter ships using mods. I'm not so sure if I want to bring back an engine room. Can anyone give recommendations on where I should place these rooms?

P.S. I'm using vanilla right now

Parrotte and gto288 like this.
  9. Sparklink

Sparklink Ketchup Robot

I decided to try a new ship style, I went with the Apex ship
    I used a mod to swap the normal ship with the Apex ship. Next I think I will do an Avian ship
    Apex.png

Waffielz likes this.
  10. Zlyvr

Zlyvr Phantasmal Quasar

Rebuilding derelict U.S.C.M. ship

[​IMG]

11. Sparklink

Sparklink Ketchup Robot

All right here is my Avian ship. I am really proud of how it turned out. Let me know what you think. Avian.png

Roskii Heiral likes this.
  12. IxFa

IxFa Pangalactic Porcupine

It fits the avian theme well, and I enjoy the overall aesthetic. However, it seems a bit too spartan. There isn't enough filling the space. There's also perhaps too much symmetry

13. Sparklink

Sparklink Ketchup Robot

I guess you are right about the symmetry Avian ship; though I tried really hard to make the Floran ship messy. I littered it with hunting trophies and some weapons from other races. When I made the mess hall I tried to make it look like a Floran saw a human restaurant or diner and imitated it. Let me know what you think

Thanks for letting me know what you think perhaps I will come back to it later and make it less tidy.

Floran.png

Roskii Heiral likes this.
  14. IxFa

I do enjoy the overgrowth aesthetic of throwing in plant fiber blocks around in the walls, but weirdly enough you have some strange symmetry again. Strange because of it's unapparent purpose. The top room - the greenhouse -why have that tanning rack on both ends? The large bone chimes also seem too common. As for the plant lights - there's some merit to its placement being only on the overgrowth, but there should be more variety to the kind of plantlights you use. There are many of them. Explore some forest worlds and ransack those floran structures! The floran prison, the floran hills, the tree villages, they all show various designs you can take inspiration and supply from.

Statues, again, need variety. I feel a Floran would see a statue and think "Why would I take it? I've already got one" unless it serves as a display of force like you'd see at the entrance to a village. This isn't the entrance to a village, this is a ship.

I do think rusty metal is a cool choice for the non-overgrowth portion of the walls. I'm not a big fan of the green bricks, I'd point to that other guy who uses hull blocks and painted them to look more like the rest of the ship for how to segment the ship. >>>
    You get hull blocks initially by doing mech stuff - anomalies, enemy ship raids, friend ships. They blend with your own ship much better, allowing you to segment large rooms into smaller ones while looking like it's a preset piece.

Aaand I'd recommend ruined platforms for stairs. They look like wood stairs with moss on them, it's really nice for the overgrowth style.

I don't mean to be too hard on you, I quite like seeing your work. This is all my personal take on it.
    +And a general rule of thumb with quoting is to not quote an entire post, just the snipped piece(s) of it that are most relevant to your reply.

DragonsForce and Sparklink like this.
  15. Sparklink

Sparklink Ketchup Robot

Oh no, I am totally alright with your critiquing, it is extremely helpful and very much appreciated. I wanted some practice in dungeon making, but first I needed to break my habit of thoughtlessly making things symmetrical.

Thanks for that I was having trouble deciding what to use for that part; this could be useful.

Sorry, that was an accident I am usually better than that. I think I will give the Avian and Floran ships another try based on what you have told me; I am quite excited by some ideas you have given me, thank you very much!

DragonsForce and IxFa like this.
  16. shark213

shark213 Phantasmal Quasar

Clementine. Light Frigate

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Windtalkers, Ixantir, _BIO_ and 9 others like this.
  17. M_Sipher

M_Sipher Oxygen Tank

How about a more updated example?

Ramshackle - !Final-ish!.png

Granted I'm not going for "overtaken by foliage" so much as "cobbled together from a dozen different ships and held together with plants and spit". But here's some space-panel block work in a bunch of different styles to hopefully help you out.

(Though how I'm gonna light the clothes closet is eluding me...)

18. IxFa

Oh that looks lovely, Sipher! While I'm remarking on your work, I want to mention that I really loved how you did the engineering rooms. The way the pipes are running throughout it and even using the ship's empty-tile background to compliment the foreground it's just
    Oh it's wonderful. The lava lamp being used to make an engine reactor of sorts is very clever too. I adore the work you did there. If I've any complaints about your engineering rooms it would be that the white platforms are a but to wide. And white. They're so big and bright compared to the rest of the area that they stick out like a sore thumb. I think either a darker choice or making them narrower would help.

Overall, when it comes to making a great background, you are fabulous at it. So many of these rooms have wonderful tiling in the background. That's not to say I necessarily like each room as a whole, but the backgrounds are top-notch.

You're very good. I'd have requests, even, if you were apt to do so

19. M_Sipher

M_Sipher Oxygen Tank

upload_2017-7-3_5-26-26.png

Hmmmm, I feel like that gets lost a little... will play around with different platforms later. I should have been in bed hours ago. Maybe the more blue-tinted whatevers the Hylotl underwater cities use. Or maybe just white-painting the background struts will bring them out enough, the "backgrond" making them more gray than white (That's how a lot of the pipe effects end up.)

And thanks for the compliments. You can suggest certainly, but it might be a bit before I can get to things as I'm in the middle of a lotta non-Starbound things and I just do a little building to decompress lately.

(I have considered livestreaming some build sessions...)

20. Parrotte

Parrotte Supernova

Urgh, finally got around to building my own ship, but I noticed both the Hull Plating Revised sloped blocks and Madtulips' sloped blocks do not properly connect to themselves, each other, or the vanilla blocks.
    And between my confusion on how to mod blocks and GIMP being an unwieldy piece of absolute bumhole, I'm quickly getting pissed off and losing interest in doing this.

BUT I SHALL PERSEVERE, BECAUSE I LIKE DRIVING MYSELF UP A DAMN WALL.

RAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHH

EDIT:
    AAAAAAAAAAAAaaaaahhh....

aaah...

nhhh...

I nearly have it done but I decided it's not worth any more effort. *shrugs*

Last edited: Jul 3, 2017
    Circle Cell likes this.