1. If you're looking for help-related things (for example, the key rebinding tutorial), please check the FAQ and Q&A forum! A lot of the stickies from this forum have been moved there to clean up space.
    Dismiss Notice

Feedback The 1.4 update should....

Discussion in 'Starbound Discussion' started by M_Sipher, Jun 19, 2017.

1. STCW262

STCW262 Heliosphere

Not to mention that telling someone to install FU for a feature is ridiculous. For example, what if I JUST want flying vehicles? Do I also have to take all the other features JUST FOR A VEHICLE? (And this comes from someone who DOES use FU).
    In general, I'm getting sick of the attitude taken by fandoms in which the modders are for some reason expected to fix the game and add more content, when that should be what the devs should be doing (In some, such as part of the Minecraft fandom, they may even complain that the devs are adding content), and outright reject the suggestions made by other players on the "grounds" that there's a mod that does that already. In fact, they will do that even if you find and point out a previously modded feature that was added to the vanilla game (Examples would include the Defence Turrets in SB, or the Pistons in Minecraft).

2. Rocket6488

Rocket6488 Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Considering FU is a whole BUNCH of smaller pieces, it shouldn't be THAT hard to find the specific parts you want, weed them out and implement them. Of course, I'm not trying to complain about how things are working out. I understand the want for more content without totally messing up the current system.

Although, I don't know how you could possibly want more content when (this is an example) you've put in 200+, 300+, 500+ hours and are STILL finding new things(me).

Last edited: Jun 27, 2017
  3. M_Sipher

M_Sipher Oxygen Tank

I really don't know what point you're trying to make here, as by the vague, reductive reasoning put forward, everything Chucklefish has done to this game or could conceivably do to this game in the future following 1.0 is a "mod".

And as for "why more content", 1) more options are great and expand the life of the game, and 2) some of us have been with this game for three years or so, and much of the content has become intimately familiar by now. I'm in this game mainly for the building, and frankly the handful of new block options from 1.3 was revolutionary for me, giving me a ton of inspiration to both work on new things and revamp older builds using these new materials.

4. Rocket6488

I completely understand your point. I also understand your point about not downloading mods. BUT, there's a catch. If Chucklefish was to put manpower into making new features that HAVE a mod based counterpart, it would waste their money, not something they want to do. It's why mods ARE available, to dissect them and use the parts you want to make your own experience.

I was thinking in a different sense, my apologies

5. STCW262

STCW262 Heliosphere

It wouldn't be a waste, considering that mods can have such things as compatibility or updating issues, and that adding such a feature to vanilla would allow further modifications to be made, AND wouldn't require a mod to access. If anything, NOT adding features just because they appear in mods would be a complete waste of potential.

6. Rocket6488

Yet CF making one of their own takes money away from them, they have to PAY someone for building the sprites, PAY someone for coding the mechanics, PAY someone for coding any other advancements and the tech tree extension and the upgrades to the object and how the object interacts with the world.

Besides, who said mods couldn't be extended?

Overall, it's not a waste of potential(there's PLENTY of that in the community), it could be a waste of money for CF, to fix what ain't broken to begin with.

To be COMPLETELY honest, why would CF make modding so dang easy, if they were going to include all the mod content anyways?

7. STCW262

STCW262 Heliosphere

Because of the possibility of customizing the game. I'm mostly referring to when the mod is so popular that most people use it, not to mention that, just like what happened to defence turrets, hiring the mod creator and making the mod part of the vanilla game is simple.

Blevruz likes this.
  8. Rocket6488

Yes, that is simple. It's also a bit o money, plus, depending on the mod (looks pointedly at FU), it may have a whole team of usual contributors, all of whom you may have to hire.

9. STCW262

STCW262 Heliosphere

The cost can easily be worthwhile, specially in the case of the best modders. Even more so if, depending on their mods, they managed to make the game do things the devs couldn't.

Blevruz and Rocket6488 like this.
  10. Rocket6488

But, and if I'm wrong here, point it out to me please, if a modder can do it, why can't a dev? The modder needs the same amount of knowledge as a dev to make the same thing happen.

11. DraikNova

DraikNova Spaceman Spiff

Because the number of modders is larger than the number of devs, so the chance that a modder will stumble upon a good way to implement something that lets it fit into the rest of the game properly is higher?

STCW262 likes this.
  12. Rocket6488

Hey, I have some REALLY shitty coding etiquette, PLENTY of other people do to

13. IxFa

IxFa Pangalactic Porcupine

Ooo that's a really nice idea. I'd like to have crafting stations that are a bit more thematic without being so limited. Lesser furnaces or anvils can be found in a few varieties, and there are alternate fire-cooking stations and prepared food stations - I'd love some more. A proper manipulator station with a more mystical tribal style, still compatible with each addon ideally. Better yet, either remove the addon system entirely or make every addon able to be implemented at once...
    Yessssss, and I assume they are protected because the gravity field is coded to add gravity to the player, so if you dig a hole through then you can gain gravity and jump out an alternate exit, retaining gravity and falling. Probably something like "only a sealed off room can have gravity. If the room breaks, the gravity field disables"
    Just assuming on that part.
    Please do! My computer was mid-tier back in 2011, Starbound pushes it a little hard at times.

14. M_Sipher

M_Sipher Oxygen Tank

Yeah in all honesty the whole "higher-tier ore-stuff-making needs different tables/add-ons" just strikes me as really pointless complication. I mean I'm glad they reduced it to one table for space reasons, but the add-ons are a really needless step. Just let me craft 'em all without needing to futz with what plug I've got on top.

STCW262 likes this.
  15. LittleWasp

LittleWasp Big Damn Hero

I think having some sort of end-game vendor, or maybe an upgrade to the pixel printer, that sells vanity armour pieces and obscure block types would be of great help. I admit, even with the workbench, I often realise too late that I forgot to pick up that one kind of block I like and didn't get the recipe for it, so I just admin it into the game.

DraikNova likes this.
  16. Ludovic

Ludovic Giant Laser Beams

I think I can echo some of this.

This said, on the suggestion of more villages... while new villages visuals would be most welcome, I think more unique *content* for villages would be the more important parts.
    Right not the main problem of villages is mostly that they are often a collection of random generic villagers NPCs and "sometimes" generic-type merchants.

Specialized shops might be part of it but for villages to stand out I think it would need more than just more specific ware selections. If anything, I find myself almost feeling like it should be more unique merchant "types".... and structures even.
    One thing I've found myself thinking about a bit lately for example has been the Outpost's merchant with their own "stalls"-type furniture that happen to be the "merchant". That kind of specialty might be interesting.
    So it might be interesting to not just see specialized arms or armor merchants or food vendors.... but perhaps even stuff like "tools and supply shops" that could specialize in selling some of the stuff like pickaxes/ropes/bandages/etc that are specifically useful resource gathering/exploration tools.

Perhaps even figure some kind of "racial uniques" merchants selling more race-specific gears. Possibly stuff that go outside the standard norms.
    Maybe even stuff like mech labs or even a "mech deployment station" allowing to use a village as a base for mech-based exploration of the world.

A minor thing that might also add to village might be to give them their own flags/teleportation beacon.

It's a thought that occured to me a while back when I encountered an Apex Rebel Camp and then noticed that Apex flag on one of the tower.... and this was most likely done purely for decorative reasons but at the end of the day said flag could still be used as a teleporter.

Unsurprinsingly this is what I did, and that camp ended up being one of my most frequently visited NPC villages.
    Now though, it made me wonder if that could end up being a feature of villages to give them all their own flags.

Perhaps it could even be a "NPC villages"-specific flag category, where such flags would get their own tabs in the teleporter menu *and* might even come with a pregenerated village name adding to player immersion.
    I.e.: it's not just a random village, it's specifically the village bearing the name of X or Y generated from the race's naming conventions.

Heck, just the ability to name our own colonies, perhaps even with pop up text when you enter it(like when you land on a planet) feels like it would be a nice great little touch of immersion adding to a sense of ownership of the place.

DraikNova and STCW262 like this.
  17. M_Sipher

M_Sipher Oxygen Tank

That all sounds good to me. Adding a few new building types to the already-existing villages' pool of parts is certainly well in-line with what I've been thinking of. The use of Flags is definitely something I'd like to see more of.

Also, I really do think that villages and dungeons would benefit greatly from new music that plays when you enter them. It's a small thing, but I think it'd really make the universe seem more "alive" if you wander into an Avian village and you hear the "friendly Avian town" tune playing, something that matches their vaguely-Aztec vibe, while the their tombs & pyramids presented a far more hostile and sinister sound... instead of just that same tune that's BEEN playing since you hit planetside.

We know they can do situational music changes since the old builds would change to a combat tune any time some random critter aggro'd, and while THAT isn't necessary, entering a town or dungeon and playing a new tune the whole time you're within its range would be nice.

Blevruz, STCW262 and DraikNova like this.
  18. Tlactl

Tlactl Scruffy Nerf-Herder

That's kinda a big stretch but I want it to happen. If you want a lot of new biomes they may as well add explorable gas giants while they're at it. I'd also like to see ringed planets. f8bc0a125d067aa0868da38c9acc23a2.png
    Tiy himself said that they have yet to implement them, but its been three years since he said that. Either they forgot about that idea, or they decided not to do it for whatever reason.

Circle Cell and LizardGaming like this.
  19. Mewrocks

Mewrocks Tentacle Wrangler

Another idea - Make friendly ships actually do something other then looting the poor thing and a merchant who sells the SAME thing every time. This would also work well with Pyre's idea of themed ships. For example, maybe a friendly ship could help you (probably if you pay them pixels) do things like mine ore? For example, if you wanted a lot of titanium for your space station (which also should be expanded upon a bit) the ship will dispatch a person in a mech and after a bit they come back with the amount of titanium specified. Actually, ursa miner does the same thing. crud. Maybe instead of pixels, they will do it for mech parts?

LizardGaming likes this.
  20. Grave Knight

Grave Knight Subatomic Cosmonaut

More space stuff, jet pack, second slot for EPPs so I don't have to choose between having a light source or being able to survive fire.

LizardGaming likes this.