Modding Discussion [Suggestion] Duel Colony Deeds

Discussion in 'Starbound Modding' started by NotDatBoi, Jun 25, 2017.

1. NotDatBoi

NotDatBoi Void-Bound Voyager

With the recent addition of space station, the creation of large colonies has become easier. However, in attempting to create these colonies, I've made my tenants rooms too large. I was wondering if anyone would be willing/interested in creating a mod which adds a Colony deeds that can bring two tenants, a pair of roommates. Since the minimum to get a single tenant is a 4x7 room (15 blocks of movable space) with a single light and a door, I thought the roommates would require at least a 8x14 or 84 block room not including walls. I'm unsure how to go around regarding payment; whether they pay the same but twice as frequently, pay as frequently but twice as much or they have no changes. Suggestions are appreciated.

2. Cyel

Cyel Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Making it actually spawn and manage two tenants would mean rewriting lots of parts of the colony deed's script, but making it ignore other colony deeds is way easier and gives somewhat the same effect -- I made it only be bothered by more than one other colony deed as a default, but you can spawn your deed with something like
    Code:
    /spawnitem colonydeed 1 '{"deed": {"maxOtherDeeds": 4}}'
    to have them accept 4 roomates

They won't ask for more room tho, and tenants will still say "I thought I'd be alone here!!" if you get past the maxOtherDeeds value, even if they already have a roomate; you could probably patch their speechlines to have more generic "I don't want more!!" speech but I was lazy

Does that fits your need?

(also: won't be compatible with other mods that overwrite the deed's scanning script but I don't think anyone does it)
    (also: it won't cause crashes in multiplayers, (but) only the server/host will need to have the mod installed for it to have any effect)

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 26, 2017
  3. NotDatBoi

Thanks man.

4. bk3k

bk3k Oxygen Tank

One accidental feature of the "Themed Colony Deeds" mod is that their deeds don't mind more than one being present. Reason? The objects aren't named "colonydeed" so they aren't detected by each other (because the vanilla code only looks for "colonydeed"). But that would obviously need to be installed on the server and people connecting to it. I don't think they replace the colony deed's scripts and therefore should work with mods that do.

Cyel likes this.
  5. NotDatBoi

Well, that seems like an easier solution. Appreciate it.

6. projectmayhem

projectmayhem Spaceman Spiff

Im also working on a themed deed mod. But its going to be more for the colonytag side. So if you have a commerce building, instead of having an ugly deed on your wall, you can have a cash register deed doesnt look out of place. They wont be named colonydeed either. If you are interested, I can also add invis deeds that dont have a graphic, that would allow you to do the roomate thing without it looking weird. You just wont be able to put anything where the invisible deed is. I can make a few different versions, one for the wall, ceiling, and floor so you have options.

7. NotDatBoi

Hmm. Going to keep your mod in mind, since it would be more A E S T H E T I C.

8. bk3k

bk3k Oxygen Tank

I had thought about making other pieces of furniture into deeds, as I don't like the look of the deed. The downside could be you don't see when people are ready. But I only wanted things that LOOK like someone would intentionally put in their room. I'd be down for a "building deed" though, but the implementation would be a bit more complex.

Overall I'd like to
    . Where tenants would expect amenities. A place to get food(maybe they'd have to buy?), a community teleporter to come and go, and a central place to leave their rent. Guards on the other hand would charge you for their services(which comes out of their rent and could make it a negative amount). Keeping the people fed with quality food, happy(things to play with), and alive - would all go towards increasing the "value" of the rental properties, thus your rent. Perhaps doing quests can factor in.

Also a major factor would be square footage for their rooms, and common areas, being fully furnished, etc. You could rent out an empty room for less, and they'd decorate it themselves(that will take a little figuring out). Currently rented rooms will be shielded so you can't take stuff(especially stuff THEY added). You'll have to evict them(The room returns to the previous state). New tenants and evictions would be handed on a screen similar to the crew screen in the AI interface. For new tenants, you'd see who's applying and choose. Having more Avian stuff attracts more Avians.

You can get a farmer tenant(services come out of rent) that can farm a nearby field for you (we'll need to figure out keeping the chunk active), and supply food/ingredients. With a common area kitchen and people can cook their own food(low tier). A chef(services out of rent) can make higher tiered foods. Or you can just supply the food yourself. They'll have to pay you for the value of the food, and will leave without it.

They'll demand certain things like a toilet, bathtub/shower/etc. You can have them in common areas, but object might be maybe 3x more effective at making happy/high value tenants to have them in the tenant's own areas.

Now how to designate what area is what? You'd probably need some objects(maybe invisible but for wiring nodes?). Wire an "extra room" designator's node's output to an adjacent "tenant primary room designator" node's input. Connect that to the input for the "building designator" input node (which may also serve as a common collection/storage point for rent). And connect the common area designator" to it as well. They all mark the rooms. Unless I can figure out some fancier way to do it.

I guess I'm just brain storming since the subject came up. That would take a lot of new code to make it all work, and I'll probably never really get around to it.

9. projectmayhem

projectmayhem Spaceman Spiff

So far I been trying to find pieces of furniture that are already animated, or that wouldnt look weird with animation added to them. Like the Gothic Candle. The flame dances when its searching, when rent is ready, when its signaling, and healing. Other than that is stays off. If the object I use doesnt look weird with other colors, I use yellow for rent, red for errors, blue for searching and green for healing. I couldnt find anything good for farm, so its just a basket of apples with no animation. Though I may still try to find something, like maybe make a fly buzz around the basket when rent is ready.

10. bk3k

bk3k Oxygen Tank

TVs are an obvious option then - "please stand by" screen when rent is ready. But that would be strange for a glitch.