Chucklefish is this true? Im a big fan of starbound and im very upset of what i read about this.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Novakidblah, Jun 26, 2017.

1. Novakidblah

Novakidblah Intergalactic Tourist

[​IMG]

I need an explanation about this

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 26, 2017
  2. Jonesy

Jonesy Sarif's Attack Kangaroo Forum Moderator

First of all, your image hasn't been embedded correctly, and isn't actually appearing. So... nobody can say for sure if it's true or not, since we don't know what it actually is.

Secondly, image-only posts are classified as spam under forum rules. Please ensure all posts contain some on-topic text.

Thirdly, please don't double-post. Use the edit button to expand posts, instead of stacking multiple ones together. Reduces clutter, that way.

Fourthly and finally, I see you posted a duplicate of this thread. Again, please edit instead of reposting, for the sake of tidiness.

3. Novakidblah

Im sorry but please hear me out ill upload it again i need an explanation from what i found.

Controversial topic.jpg

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 26, 2017
    Waffle-Chan likes this.
  4. Jonesy

I thought I just asked you not to double-post...

Anyway, I can't speak for Chucklefish as a company, but based solely on what's there I personally find it a bit hard to believe. The whole NDA thing doesn't make much sense, and it's glossed over without any details as to how it supposedly worked. Beyond that, if he's comfortable speaking up now, it begs the question of why he didn't sooner. He claims his game was around since 2011, and Starbound would have a similar age. I've certainly never heard of the issue come up before.

I do see that there is a game on Steam called Nebula, which has been abandoned in Early Access for well over a year. The only developer posts on its discussion threads I can see are from a different account to the one that left the review. I also found the group the reviewer was a part of, and his account isn't listed as a member. So, there's no easy way of verifying whether the guy was even connected to the game's development in the first place, especially since I don't seem to be able to locate his review or account. Without seeing more concrete proof, I can only assume the claim's been falsified or at the very least blown wildly out of proportion. I can buy Tiy being a bit pie-in-the-sky with Starbound, but not pettily malicious.

5. Novakidblah

Oh ok but whats the nda thing?

6. Jonesy

Non-Disclosure Agreement. It's a legal agreement that prevents people from sharing information about a certain project. You'll often see them in private betas and the like, but not when just casually talking about game ideas. If anything, a developer would probably want information about their upcoming game shared for the sake of word-of-mouth publicity.

7. Novakidblah

Oh ok thanks. Dont mean to be rude but can say your earlier statement to english please? Im just 16 to understand umm advanced english. Sorry again.

8. Jonesy

No worries, here's the basics of what I was skeptical of.

1. It doesn't make sense for an NDA to be used when talking about game ideas. Especially when the mechanism for how the NDA was applied wasn't described.
    2. The reviewer waited until now to speak up, despite both his game and Starbound existing for many years.
    3. While it is an actual game, Nebula has been abandoned for over a year. Again; why bring it up now?
    4. The only known developer of Nebula didn't post the review. It's impossible to tell if the person who wrote the review was involved with the game.
    5. The group the reviewer mentioned doesn't list him as a member.
    6. The evidence he brings up can't be readily accessed.

Arnust likes this.
  9. Novakidblah

One thing, that review is posted on may 9 2016, a month before starbound leave early access.

10. Jonesy

Ah, I didn't see that. But the point about timing still stands, since Starbound had been in beta for some time by that point. Even then, there was another sizeable gap between being revealed and entering beta.

11. Novakidblah

What s
    What sizable gap?

12. Jonesy

The game was first announced in early 2012, and entered beta more than a year later. Not that big a gap, now that I think of it, but it felt much longer at the time.

13. Novakidblah

And what you re saying is?

14. Jonesy

The reviewer claims that this alleged event took place before Starbound came out. But since Starbound was in the public light for more than a year before even being playable by the general public, he would have had ample opportunity to speak up. He waited for nearly four years after that, when it would have made more sense for him to do it sooner. It's another thing that makes the story hard to believe.

15. D.M.G.

D.M.G. Master Astronaut

So, do you think he's lying or bending the truth?

16. Jonesy

Hard to say, really. The story doesn't add up in a number of ways, which isn't helped by the lack of evidence. It's entirely possible the guy did talk to Tiy at some point before Starbound, but the behaviour described is hard to believe. Could also be completely fabricated, since some people make a veritable hobby of demonizing game developers these days. Whatever the case, I'm not convinced it's true.

17. Ainzoal

Ainzoal Ketchup Robot

Yeah this reeks of attention seeking and trying to get free money by stirring controversy. Or it's one of those trolls from the steamforums trying a new strategy to attack Starbound and Chucklefish

D.M.G. likes this.
  18. D.M.G.

D.M.G. Master Astronaut

And I guess that, unsurprizingly the author of that story cannot be contacted, uh? .-.

19. Novakidblah

But he said that when he says no to tiyuri, his friends that co created with the making of nebula feared that tiyuri will file a lawsuit to them if they continue developing the game, so they tanked the whole project. Please read it all over again.

20. D.M.G.

D.M.G. Master Astronaut

Just sayin', that only his sayin'.
    Not trying to counter your argument, tho, it's more of a statement