1. Welcome to the Starbound support forums. Please check the support FAQs before posting: http://playstarbound.com/support

Notice CAN'T LAUNCH STARBOUND? Read this!

Discussion in 'Starbound Support' started by mollygos, Jul 23, 2016.

1. LLQPM

LLQPM Void-Bound Voyager

I got it to load.... after it deleted all of my character/planet/etc. progress. I have back up files, thankfully- but I will be super P***ED if I have to start from scratch AGAIN. I have 1134 hours in this game. DO NOT MAKE ME RESET YET AGAIN!

2. LLQPM

LLQPM Void-Bound Voyager

nvm. I found out the problem. they changed versions. AGAIN. and I just lost all my freaking progress. AGAIN. I'm done. screw this.

3. tornnest

tornnest Void-Bound Voyager

I cant launch Starbound 1.3 on os x 10.8.5, steam version. Crash after 5 seconds after start with nothing.

Attached Files:

4. gussy the human

gussy the human Aquatic Astronaut

technichally not if u go into steam properties win64 then click starboun then you will get a well kind of cracked version because u can just put it onto ur memory stick then wella u have a working version of starbound and to update go into steam click starbound then play then go back onto your kinda craked version then ur done.

5. cactusfriend

cactusfriend Space Hobo

Just wanted to hop in and say disabling OpenGL triple buffering fixed the problem for me, too. Thanks!

6. andropups

andropups Intergalactic Tourist

Hello! Starbound has stopped launching after latest update. It starts, but crashes without any messages at different moments during start:
    1. when stars background is shown and music starts playing
    2. like first case, but it also shows main menu. no mouse pointer. crashes in 2-4 seconds
    3. chucklefish logo is shown, waiting for some time and no other progress, returns back to steam launcher.

About my system:
    uname -r :
    4.8.0-54-generic

lsb_release -a:
    No LSB modules are available.
    Distributor ID: Ubuntu
    Description: Ubuntu 16.04.2 LTS
    Release: 16.04
    Codename: xenial

hardware info file attached.
    starbound log attached.

I have deleted all starbound files and reinstalled starbound . It does not help.
    I also have run "sudo apt-get dist-upgrade". It does not help.

Please help :)

Update 3aug2017 : Solved. I tried to launch starbound on Vbox virtual Win XP computer (on the same host) and got the same error. There are known issues with generic video drivers for onboard intel graphics in Ubuntu. So, it appeared to be video drivers problem. What exactly repaired the game:

Code:
    sudo add-apt-repository ppa:oibaf/graphics-drivers
    sudo apt-get update
    sudo apt-get dist-upgrade
    and reboot.

After that the game started to launch correctly.

P.S. I also had to restore data files for my universe and character from backup because they were empty. I did it manually.
    I'm not shure here - probably I have removed everything while reinstalling the game when I was trying to repair it.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 3, 2017
  7. DragonW

DragonW Space Hobo

my game wont load, only a black screen with a white square appears, i tried everything.

Attached Files:

8. hydraaa

hydraaa Space Hobo

Have you created a character that uses a mod you removed? In some cases, this can cause an issue with the game load because you don't have the files necessary to load it and it ends up loosing track. You can use Starcheat to get rid of it if you know what it is, if you have no idea you might as well just remove the character file completely. Otherwise, you could've closed it while it was loading. Having a lot of data in the game will cause it to load longer and sit like that for a while, its a pain in the ass if you're someone whose a modder with a garbage PC, but sometimes you just got to suck it up.

9. Oscartroop55

Oscartroop55 Intergalactic Tourist

So I a few months ago I uninstalled starbound (to speed my laptop up for other games I have) and 2 days ago I uninstalled 3 mods (from steam workshop) and yesterday I reinstalled Starbound and I played it today but it was loading, then lagged, then continued loading then it crashed. I know that if you uninstall Fraken Universe it won't work but i didn't delete it. And I had 2 characters in the game but they were gone and same with my universe file. This is what my Storage file only has: Starbound.config(config file) and Starbound(text document).

10. Oscartroop55

Oscartroop55 Intergalactic Tourist

I'm going to try using Starbound - Unstable but if I reply again it didn't work.

11. RevNap

RevNap Void-Bound Voyager

So I bought the game in Steam two days ago and couldn't play yet. It's a problem that other people are having, but I hadn't found any solution. When I start the game, the Chucklefish logo appears, then sometimes a loading screen and then the menu. But the background is static and I can't see the mouse pointer. After some seconds (five or six), the game simply crashes, without any warning. Here are my laptop specifications:
    • Acer Aspire E 15;
    • Linux Mint 18.1 Serena (Cinnamon);
    • Intel Core i5-5200U, 2.20 GHz;
    • Intel HD Graphics 5500, 2133 MB;
    • 4 GB, DDR 3;
    I'm attaching my log. Hope you can help me!

Attached Files:

12. azimoert

azimoert Big Damn Hero

Same problem here. Black and white screen and game shut down itself. All options like reinstalling, deleting the folder, unsubscribe mods, update all drivers I've already done. Watching for a solution for 3 days and no solutions actually work.

Attached Files:

13. hydraaa

hydraaa Space Hobo

[10:20:53.983] [Info] Application: No platform services available
    [10:20:54.600] [Info] Root: no runtime config file, creating new default runtime config

[10:20:54.639] [Info] Application: main update loop...
    [10:20:54.657] [Info] Root: Loaded NameGenerator in 0.0125823 seconds < End

Seems to me you may need to verify the integrity of game cache or reinstall Steam itself. I could be wrong, because this hasn't been an issue for me, but if you could, please let us know if there's anything you've done to the game or add into the files. These could be culprits for causing issues in your game files, which would cause it to crash. Usually, if it's something being unread it would come up and be black with the Chucklefish being a white box, it stays that way until it's able to get all the files read and operate-able, since it's the last thing that loads in the game itself. Just maybe throwing in some ideas that may cause problems, but if none of this works, you may have to get files of the latest Starbound, if there is something still missing in it (which seems to be the config file, which is really important in running the game). As for the platform services, you could try reinstalling Steam. Or, -I'm assuming you've tried this already- remove all the files of Starboun in its self completely and reinstall via Steam. This could potentially solve both issues.
    (This is probably not important, but I'll throw it out there,
    [19:55:28.237] [Info] Root: Loaded ImageMetadataDatabase in 4.03263e-06 seconds
    this was what comes after the NameGenerator loads, so this itself could've been lost in its own.)

14. hydraaa

hydraaa Space Hobo

[16:47:38.302] [Info] Application: Enabling VSync with late swap tearing
    [16:47:38.302] [Info] Application: Enabling VSync late swap tearing failed, falling back to full VSync

[16:47:51.901] [Warn] Error loading player storage metadata file, resetting: (IOException) Error opening file '../storage/player/metadata', error: No such file or directory

You may need to go ahead and check if you have all the files, since it seems like your files were corrupted during the installation. If this does not fix it, you may need to check if your PC is compatible with running Starbound (haven't really heard of one that couldn't, but just an idea). Other than that, it seems your metadata file in \Starbound\storage\player\
    is missing for one, two, or all of your characters. I don't know if you have played it before, but otherwise you may need to clear it and see if there was any player files. If it's your first time booting it up, then I'd suggest checking if it's still there or moved. Due to download corruption, you may need to try some of the things I've mentioned before.

15. azimoert

azimoert Big Damn Hero

I was even trying to install pirated version of the game just to test it (Steam version ofc). Works for everyone but me. Same issue as steam version. I will reinstall steam but all other games work fine and download fully via steam.

Update
    Steam reinstall: done
    Game reinstall: done (including folder deleting including)
    Updating drivers: done
    Verifying game data: done
    Updating Windows: done (windows 10 by the way)
    Updating Net.Framework: done (already final version)
    Run game as admin: done
    Try pirated version: done (1.2.2; 1.3.1)
    Try GOG version: done (1.2.1; 1.2.2a; 1.3.0; 1.3.1)

Uploaded GOG and STEAM logs. Not sure what causes this problem. Some people suggest downgrading drivers which is not an option for me after all.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 2, 2017
  16. vliegendetapir

vliegendetapir Void-Bound Voyager

Good day, I have a crash where my game doesn't launch from steam, it briefly says ''running'' ,then ''syncing'' and then it doesn't do anything, from a fresh install my starbound folder doesn't make a storage folder, no crash logs either, here are some things i tried already.

-disabled tripple buffering
    -verifying integrity of game cashe
    -Reinstalling
    -change installation folder
    -buying the game on GOG (works but i highly prefer steam because of the multiplayer and mod support)

Also i think it's worth saying that it started after i used the launch options to set my resolution, i tried ''-autoconfig'' but to no succes.
    I really would like to be able to play this game again, i've been unable to play through steam for more than 6 months now.

UPDATE: I tried launching the game from steam but from my girlfriends account and it works somehow, now i'm pretty sure it is linked to launch options linked to my account but i have no idea how to fix it still.

Last edited: Jul 2, 2017
  17. azimoert

azimoert Big Damn Hero

Renamed [opengl32sw.dll] to [opengl32.dll] so the game finally starts! Now I have 5 FPS issue =\
    (in folder "...\steamapps\common\Starbound\win64")

18. Ponky

Ponky Orbital Explorer

This worked for me too. I already tried everything. No mods. No suscribed items in Workshop. The game starts if I rename the opengl32sw fire but it runs like ass. This used to work a year ago.

19. DrakeAR

DrakeAR Scruffy Nerf-Herder

I'm also having a crash on startup problem with my Starbound. I hadn't played in several months so I assumed it was just clutter from previous versions so I went ahead and uninstalled the game, then nuked the file directory. The game reinstalled, and still crashes after the Chucklefish logo.

I found the log and I'll be trying to attach it to this post. Hopefully it can explain what's happening better than I can.

OH HEY, NVM. I figured out what was wrong. Or rather another friend of mine did. Apparently, I had forgotten there was this workshop support. I was used to installing mods by hand and didn't realize that deleting them wasn't enough to actually get rid of them anymore. I went ahead and unsubscribed from them and things are better now.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 6, 2017
  20. Wakaitsu

Wakaitsu Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Hey guys! Does anyone know if a problem with steam-launch's fixed by now? I can't launch the game when I try to do it from steam (even without mods it just won't start and there's no crash messages), but when I do it from files, it starts just fine.