Which game do you most regret wasting money on?

Discussion in 'Games' started by RogueZephyr, May 25, 2017.

1. Mythril-Jelly

Mythril-Jelly Scruffy Nerf-Herder

I've been broke for a few years now, so I suppose I don't technically have any!

Though, I kind of do regret time investment in Spiral Knights and Trove, they were great fun at first but slowly died due to greed. Punishing free players, too many paywalls. That.

Spore too, though it didn't technically become a franchise as it was mostly slain before it even hatched... Looked like an entirely different game and was missing so many features.
    I'm waiting for the day a similar concept is tried again, but without that "intervention" I suppose.

SickSix likes this.
  2. Iris Blanche

Iris Blanche Pudding Paradox Forum Moderator

Cube world

Still alpha and last update was in 2013. After that mostly silence by the devs. I highly doubt that there will ever be a new update or that it will ever get released.

~ Iris ~

3. RogueZephyr

RogueZephyr Subatomic Cosmonaut

I'm not sure whats worse. Hearing nothing from the devs or hearing a bunch of empty promises before being informed via forum PM that the company had folded...

Parrotte and Waffle-Chan like this.
  4. Tiny Master of Music

Tiny Master of Music Existential Complex

Overwatch.
    Overhyped and boring. I haven't touched it in a year now, wish I could get my $60 back.

777JackOfBlades likes this.
  5. Tonko

Tonko Subatomic Cosmonaut

Well, I regret buying Garry´s mod. It looked so promising, and so good... But I should have done more research before actually buying it. It was not what I expected. Doing cool stuff is super hard, and playing on servers means that you´ll get your ears bleeding because of kids screaming to their mic.

6. mojobems

mojobems Space Hobo

Escapists, I thought it was going to be immersive or fun but what really happened was it sucked ***! Yea don't get that game unless you're into elevator music...

Parrotte likes this.
  7. RogueZephyr

RogueZephyr Subatomic Cosmonaut

I'm quite into elevator music...

Parrotte likes this.
  8. JoshieWoshy

JoshieWoshy Void-Bound Voyager

Medieval Engineers
    I spent £15 on this game and the entire thing is just one massive grind when it comes to building. Also the game lags really bad and half the time it just glitches out and flings my dude across the map!

9. MS_NorthEastern

MS_NorthEastern Orbital Explorer

Fable 3 definitley inst the worst game ever, but, but... MOLYNEUX, WHYY!

SickSix likes this.
  10. Xylia

Xylia Tiy's Beard

You related to Larry Bundy Jr by any chance? lol.

Anyways, back on topic...

I've bought a few steaming piles of crud, though I thought there was another thread like this floating around... though I suppose it wasn't Exactly this, but it is very close to this where I talked about regrets when it came to games.

One of the biggest was Battlefield 3. Yeah, I know it was stupid of me to buy a game like that. The game itself is OK gameplay wise, but the multiplayer system is just stupid. That whole thing where people who did lots of grinding and leveling up had much better equipment than you is just stupid. I can understand varied but equal equipment, but just overall better equipment? Ya...

And, the whole "NO SHOTGUNS" servers popping up everywhere was getting annoying too. I probably put like... 5-10 hours max into it and paid like $60 for it. Blah.

Also, ME3. I liked ME1 and ME2 I thought was the best of the trilogy but ME 3... yuck. Wish I could get my $60 back lol.

11. Melcadrien

Melcadrien Big Damn Hero

Ugh... So many bad games I've played out there. I suppose if there's bad ones it's for games that I put money into that no longer are playable or simply are broken. Specifically MMO's like Grand Chase and Blacklight: Retribution.

I'd put in TF2 but I am wholeheartedly satisfied with the gameplay despite the updates becoming more and more sparse.

12. SirCyberGuy

SirCyberGuy Seal Broken

I am bread...

The game is ok, but I made a new steam account and I lost it. Don't judge me, but I did it because my username sucked. Like seriously. Due to this, I lost the game, plus it made my mad anyways. I only got to play it for 2 hours. R.I.P twelve bucks. :(

13. {insert_name_here}

{insert_name_here} Astral Cartographer

I don't actually own this game, but I was browsing through the Steam store and somehow ended up on this extremely bad game. It's called Starforge - I tried searching for it again today but it apparently got removed from the store. I found an old screenshot I took, though:

Capture10.PNG

Some of the reviews for that game were a little shocking.

Apparently the developers (CodeHatch) abandoned this game in an extremely buggy, unfinished state, and went to work on another game called Reign of Kings, which met a similar fate to Starforge. The developers completely abandoned Reign of Kings as well, and according to the reviews, nowadays the servers on that game are filled with trolls and hackers. Reign of Kings is technically still being "updated", but from what I can see, it seems like just server resets and exploit fixes, no new content. Also, the newest "update" looks like a literal copy-and-paste from the previous update changelog. You can tell that CodeHatch is really dedicated to providing the best quality games.

EDIT: Just a bit of trivia, in March 9 2016 Starforge was Steam's fourth-lowest rated game.

14. Brockster17

Brockster17 Phantasmal Quasar

Jalopy. Jalopy is all I can say. I hate it...

15. I_am_the_Storm

I_am_the_Storm Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Mortyr 3. I've seen it in retail store (as majority of games I own). I had a need to try a new game and the price was more than affordable, even for me. The pictures looked good, so I decided to buy it. And that was a mistake. Even Tetris had better AI, the bugs was more dangerous than enemies, nonsensical behavior of weapons, and worst of all... 4 hours of gameplay??!! What?!
    I've beat it in four hours on normal difficulty and at the end, it was fun to play maybe for 10 minutes.

Although... Mortyr 3 is not the only game I regret spending money on.

16. Roskii Heiral

Roskii Heiral Heliosphere

Saints Row 3 was a massive disappointment after 2

17. Marinebeast

Marinebeast Existential Complex

Tales of Symphonia: Dawn of the New World.

I was super excited for the promise that a sequel had, it had so much going for it: the conflict between two completely different societies suddenly being mashed together after 4000 years, the exploration of the constant racial conflicts between humans and elves and half-elves, the growth and experience that the original cast of 9 had gone through, and so much more. A lot had changed, from cities being completely leveled to a massively-influential religion being ripped apart to find all the truths behind it.

Instead, I got some seriously half-assed plot with tons of new lore that barely made any sense, and practically complete ignorance of all the good plot threads they could have taken.
    Why is there a need for all these new spirit-thing-whatever they ares? What purpose do they serve? They're literal copies of the Summon Spirits, practically, and those are already heavily established as super important. The original cast was written in really badly + was often OOC + had level caps to discourage using them, and didn't fit in very well with all the stuff they sought to do at the end of the original game. There was a tiny hint at the bigger conflict I wanted, but the plot thread was completely dropped the moment it came up, and instead the plot focuses almost entirely on some whiny kid that's only really important due to being possessed by a squirrel spirit + his overly-clingy and obnoxious girlfriend, rather than the original characters that I loved so much in the first game. The antagonist was extremely shallow and uninteresting -- he didn't have nearly the same depth, legacy or complexity as Mithos did, and his motives were incredibly weak for the weird stuff he did. (and fwiw Mithos was my favorite character from the first game. Richter isn't anywhere near his level in.. anything.)

Awful, awful game. I'd pay maybe $5 for it but never the $50 I dropped on its release. I had a lot of hope, because I know Bamco can write good Tales games and great characters, but Dawn of the New World was just... trash. It would've been so much better as a standalone title in a standalone world rather than being very weakly painted onto the Aselia timeline and having all of the previous lore, characters and dynamics pigeonholed in.

I'm the most bitter person in the world over this game, but I just absolutely loved the first Symphonia, and Dawn of the New World's just a big insult to it.

18. BigEaredKittens

BigEaredKittens Master Astronaut

Minecraft. It felt draining nad boring, tho building freely was okay... suddenly my account wasn't worknig, I couldn't et it back, and if I want to play again I have to buy the game again.

19. Corraidhín

Corraidhín Supernova

Hmm... cant say I have had nowhere near as bad experiences as the previous posts, I have had foul moments with games, such as Starbound, or Cryptark, but not so bad that I would feel like I could have better spent my money somewhere else... though Interestellar Marines is very, very close...

Roskii Heiral likes this.
  20. losersophie

losersophie Gotta Catch 'em All! Mk.2

probably garrys mod