1. If you're looking for help-related things (for example, the key rebinding tutorial), please check the FAQ and Q&A forum! A lot of the stickies from this forum have been moved there to clean up space.
    Dismiss Notice

Feedback Space exploration is great, but

Discussion in 'Starbound Discussion' started by tehcavy, Jun 9, 2017.

1. Blevruz

Blevruz Phantasmal Quasar

I think that adding race-specific parts and secondary abilities would work well enough, but they could very well limit the types of weapons available.
    You'd have weapons based off of the culture they hail from, visually and mechanically.

For instance, Floran weapons would be vegetal weaponry centered around slowing and otherwise weakening a potential prey, Apex weapon would be high-tech crowd control, Human weapons would focus around versatility, Hylotl weapons would put an emphasis on easy self-defense (high knockback), Avian weapons would be focused around mobility and air attacks, Glitch weaponry revolving around firepower and heavy blows (to be placed strategically), and Novakid weapons would be made for heavy damages from a safe distance.

Then being able to mix and match these to make our own weapons would make every weaponry truly unique.

2. STCW262

STCW262 Heliosphere

Wouldn't Novakid wepaons be more like weird gimmicky crap that is nonetheless effective? They're stated that their way to technological progress is basically that, if they see or think of something cool, they try to make it, which could result in things like what is explained in their wiki page.

Blevruz likes this.
  3. Blevruz

Blevruz Phantasmal Quasar

Hmm, I guess so. They'd probably mimic cool stuff from other cultures, or make their own.

Apex: Stealth and assassination weapons. Sniper rifles, daggers, swords and such with camo secondaries.

Miniknog: Electric status and piercing weapons, with secondaries that allow to restrain a crowd's movement (like "walls"). Probably ray guns too (like the aegisalt pistols)

Avian: Mobility-centered weapons, with air-based secondaries and potentially high knockback

Floran: Weapons designed to deal as much damage as possible over as short a time as possible. Secondaries slow down ennemies, allow one to catch up through charge attacks, stuff like that

Glitch: Heavy damage per hit, but low fire speed. Bows, hammers, broadswords and axes (and possibly staves that look really magical), with secondaries that will focus around guarding to protect one from a lot of damage over a short amount of time.

Human: Your standard stuff. Centered around utility, adaptation and stuff. Most will have two uses, like a rocket you can use to rocket jump, or the rocket spear attack.

Hylotl: Main attacks have high knockback or ice effect. Secondary may inflict paralysis, huge knockback, or protect its user.

Novakid: Random shit. (I want to see a steam gun part though, line a gun that shoots scalding steam. That'd be awesome)

Occasius: Centered around damage. Secondaries might be self-buff or even more damage.

STCW262 likes this.
  4. Xylia

Xylia Tiy's Beard

What really boggles my mind to this day, is why they removed the racial weapons in the first place and replaced it with this system where everybody gets generic weapons from the crafting bench. Instead of 1 broadsword every tier, now it's 3 broadswords over 6 tiers, and you have huge gaps in-between craftable weapons, AND the weapons look pretty generic at best whereas some of the racial weapons looked rather cool.

I just can't wrap my head around the removal of so many assets when weapons are badly lacking in diversity as it is... why you would want to REMOVE weapons is beyond me.

LilyV3 and Blevruz like this.
  5. M_Sipher

M_Sipher Oxygen Tank

I miss the stump hammer.

6. M_Sipher

M_Sipher Oxygen Tank

Okay yeah back to crafting materials for mech parts, I just got like 7 Proton Limiters in a single Moderate-Threat hostile ship run, sooooooooooooooooooooooo

7. LilyV3

LilyV3 Master Astronaut

even more, why remove what you ALREADY HAD. Thesy didn't even broke any balance or something like this and even if they could have tweaked the statsof them. It feels a bit for me like the guy who deisgend that part went away and no one documented stuff so they entirely removed and redid it.

STCW262 likes this.
  8. STCW262

STCW262 Heliosphere

Not to mention that now it wouldn't make sense to keep the concept out of the game, as there's still racial content, such as ships or mech bodies.

Blevruz likes this.
  9. Lintton

Lintton Guest

(makes it easy to get)

Player: ugh, I was done inside of 4 hours of playing!

(makes it hard to get)

Player: ugh, where is the /admin button?

(makes it take multiple runs to get)

Player: ugh, this is extortion!

There's no set in stone method for how often a activity should be in replayability. I gather the high material costs was put in place to discourage sequence breaking by flying into only friendly ships on extreme. So far I've been spending a fair amount of time playing "Space Pirate Lintton"--I mean Starbound flying around in my mech. Becaise I'm having so much fun the collection of materials doesn't seem so long.

Take OPs example, which I feel blows things out of proportion, That is all the materials needed to make a base like that at once. Are players going to want something like that at once? why not work on a bit, then work on decor before going back for more material?

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 16, 2017
  10. LilyV3

LilyV3 Master Astronaut

because the game lacks properly implemented progression. Thats why. therere is nothing special to achieve when doing it quick or slow. there is no time based component, like research or something. it's just have ressoucrs, yes/no?

and so CF deisgns it the way how most settleled characters will handle the new feature, and thats when they already have plenty of stuff.
    if we had to aquire staff and building would take time the feature would entirely play different and become a lot more interesting.

Last edited: Jun 19, 2017
  11. Xylia

Xylia Tiy's Beard

@Lintton :

There are limits to how much grind is acceptable, though. No, I don't want to get everything in <4 hours. But yet I don't want to spend 100 hours on it either, especially when the activity is rather repetitive. Last night, I spent an hour doing Extreme Anomalies. I got ~18 of the universal part (the tiered one) which is OK. What is not OK, however, is the 50 specific part that each mech part requires (Armor Plates, Couplings, etc).

Sitting in my chest on my ship, I have ~30 of them. It took me several hours to amass that many and I've only used them to craft a couple upgrades. Since there's 2 arms, Couplings for example, you need 100 of them. At a rate of 1-3 per 10 minute Anomaly (average), you're talking 5 hours just to get two Lv4 weapons for your mech. That's not counting maybe if you want a mining laser on top of that or something. Have fun slogging anomalies for 7 hours.

And they are pretty repetitive too. Same enemies, same environment (with some minor randomization) with a random goal at the end of it, and sometimes this goal has absolutely nothing interesting or worthwhile whatsoever. Sometimes I get a novakid saloon that had zero mech scrap whatsoever which makes the whole run a waste of time.

Seeing the saloon the first time is interesting, but on subsequent runs, it's like "really? they coulda at least put a few breakable pods that yield mech parts on that thing".

STCW262 and Blevruz like this.
  12. Lintton

Lintton Guest

I just don't see the whole thing as a race. not only are we not to get the next update for months, once those hours are done, nothing is going to take your top tier mech away. Do I want more stuff and more varied enemies, sure. I've wanted that always in Starbound, but I've had a fun time going from sluggishly weaving around that single shot turret to surgically taking apart squadrons.

M_Sipher likes this.
  13. Shadox2.0

Shadox2.0 Spaceman Spiff

For ore i sleep in my traps then buy ingot to Ursa miner , no need to mine , no need to smelt.

14. Xylia

Xylia Tiy's Beard

There's only so many times I can stomach killing the same stuff over and over and over and over and over and over again.

I'm not some 2 year old kid that sees amusement out of playing the same little game 5 million times. So no, I can't say I enjoy the idea of 7 hours of grinding mech parts to make a pair of weapons on a Tier4 mech.

15. Kajima

Kajima Phantasmal Quasar

Pods can be found outside the saloon though.

16. Xylia

Xylia Tiy's Beard

Last time I saw a saloon, I checked... I either didn't see any or it was something stupid like 1-2...

STCW262 likes this.
  17. STCW262

STCW262 Heliosphere

And the Saloon's bartender doesn't even sell many worthwhile items, as none of them are rare or unique to them.

18. Kajima

Kajima Phantasmal Quasar

It was the latter.

Yeah, should've replaced it with a mechanical bull instead.

For me, the only reason to find that saloon was to scan that 64 slot vault.

19. LilyV3

LilyV3 Master Astronaut

this unfortunately describes large parts of the game. Wanna terraform? run through the samish looking dungeons all day. Fishing and fossiles? similar. "exploration is the same. and nw those spoce feaqtures with all their full force repetition. All those features are filled wiht the repetition and it kinda is lame. Why not also utilising upgrade modules as alternate way or tech cards and matter modules? Stupid tech cards and modules, hundreds of them with No use. At leats for upgrade modules he involved th wepaon upgrades for them too but this was not taking it far. The game lacks beeing a whole, it feels like a lot of tiny subfeatures just somehwat slapped together.

20. TacoSaurusandchez

TacoSaurusandchez Intergalactic Tourist

Honestly y'all are kinda complaining like children. I can with ease take down space encounters with the base mech parts. But i guess i am still playing with low threat level and glitch which i assume has better base mech parts. Also i haven't been able to find like any loot. Is this because I am in low-level. Also im known for my suckiness at pvp and pvm.