Modding Discussion Orcana starter mech feedback

Discussion in 'Starbound Modding' started by Nemasys, Jun 13, 2017.

Tags:
?

With or without seaweed and barnacles?

1. With - I like my mechs a little on the trashy side.

33.3%
  2. Without - I like a nice clean mech.

66.7%
  1. Nemasys

Nemasys Cosmic Narwhal

Orcana protomech opt.jpg

Just trying to get some community feedback before I finalize today's Orcana update. Which version of the Orcana starter mech do you prefer?

Exilyth likes this.
  2. Sparklink

Sparklink Ketchup Robot

I am finding it very difficult to chose between the two. The seaweed and barnacles gives it kind of character, but the clean version may be a good look for the upgraded version of the mech body. The dirty one has a rough look to it, but the clean one has a refined feeling. Could you provide a sample of the upgraded version?

3. Nemasys

Nemasys Cosmic Narwhal

Pretty much my thoughts exactly. The Orcana do tend to have a cleaner more refined aesthetic when it comes to tech, but like you said, the extras do give it a bit of extra character.

Orcana mech final.jpg

Last edited: Jun 13, 2017
    Exilyth likes this.
  4. Sparklink

Sparklink Ketchup Robot

I would say that the appearance of the upgraded version has swayed me a little more towards the clean version of the first mech; but that could only be because of the fact that the upgrade looks so clean.

5. Nemasys

Nemasys Cosmic Narwhal

Yeah, and that's why I'm leaning toward the clean look even though I like the derelict look too.

Last edited: Jun 13, 2017
  6. Sparklink

Sparklink Ketchup Robot

A derelict version of the upgraded thing could actually be a great look; have you tried any thing like that yet?

7. Nemasys

Nemasys Cosmic Narwhal

I have not. I thought about it briefly, but I'm hesitant to do that, again, because "The Orcana do tend to have a cleaner more refined aesthetic when it comes to tech."

8. Sparklink

Sparklink Ketchup Robot

I think that the clean mech body is probably the best.
    Examining all of the content and artwork from the Orcana I decided that the clean look better matches the all of the rest of the style you have so far.
    The barnacles and algae may have been the way to go if the Orcana technology was a little more rugged rather than clean and sleek.
    All of the other vanilla mechs upgrades share defining features of the first ones. Those barnacles and algae are a very noticeable feature that one may expect on the upgrade, but as I stated earlier they do not match with the rest of the clean and sleek style of the Orcana.

The final decision is up to you, I am just stating what I think in hopes that it will help you with your choice . I personally really like them both very much, but feel that clean one is the better choice. Good luck!

Exilyth and Nemasys like this.
  9. Nemasys

Nemasys Cosmic Narwhal

Wow, thank you for the extremely civil and educated feedback. It's refreshing to see something like that on the interwebs these days. I really appreciate it.

10. Sparklink

Sparklink Ketchup Robot

Always happy to help out. I wanted to provide something that you could gain more insight or meaning from than a simple "I like this".

11. Exilyth

Exilyth Scruffy Nerf-Herder

The color scheme combined with the deep sea diving suit shapes make it look like the 'big daddy' from bioshock and captain Nemos' submarine had a baby.
    The green is reminiscent of patina on copper/bronze.
    Looks great. :nuruhappy::nuruawe:

While the seagrass & barnacles version does not look as clean as other Orcana tech, with a bit of rust and a few dents it would make for a great derelict/wreck.
    Imagine you're exploring underwater, stumbling upon a sunken, ancient structure and finding what looks like it was once a mech hangar, some of the machines still standing in place.

12. Nemasys

Nemasys Cosmic Narwhal

It's awesome that you said that; those were literally my two sources of inspiration for this.

That sounds like an awesome idea for a random dungeon. Thanks!