Dev Blog Starbound 1.3 [UNSTABLE]

Discussion in 'Dev Blog' started by mollygos, May 31, 2017.

1. Xylia

Xylia Tiy's Beard

You mean, walking, or "running"? When I walk (with no run button and/or not toggled if you're using the fix mods), I'm MUCH slower than NPCs. If I "run" (while burning fatigue) then I'm going about as fast as NPCs.

That doesn't help when you're 30 minutes away from the nearest town that features fast travel, and not all towns fast travel to each other. Are you at Balmora and need to go to Pelegiad? Have fun walking because Silt Strider doesn't go there, and there is no Mage's Guild there.

ANY spell. I assume you missed the part where I said I created a custom spell that is 1 point of fire damage on self for 1 second? The cheapest/easiest spell in the game to cast, for practice purposes. 30 Destruction. Like 40+ Intelligence. 70% chance to succeed. lol. The cheapest/easiest spell in the game. When I first started at Destruction 15, it was like 20% chance. For the cheapest/easiest spell in the game. Oh, and I had Restoration as a Major... created a "Heal Self for 1 Point for 1 Second" ... lol. 25% chance to succeed. *sigh* It took me over 30-45 minutes of doing nothing but casting this on myself (and the 1 point of fire damage) to level these up to where I didn't fail 5, 6, 7 of them in a row on a consistent basis. And these are the WEAKEST spells possible!

In Oblivion, everything leveled with you, and yes it did assume you were smartly leveling and not just dumping x1s and x2s on everything. I don't know which is worse -- instant death everywhere in Morrowind, or common bandits armed to the teeth with Glass weaponry hacking you to pieces if you didn't level your skills properly. Both systems were terrible.

I will agree there... though I think Skyrim is a happy medium; you do damage with nearly any weapon, but enemies' armor tends to outpace the damage you can do if you're under-skilled. That, and you know, it DOES take skill to swing a hammer. If you're not very skilled, you're taking clumsy swings and any enemy that knows what they're doing can usually dodge most of it and only take glancing blows. If you're thrusting a dagger at someone, if you're unskilled and the enemy is good in combat, your clumsy stabs are usually partially dodged or barely glance or don't penetrate because you aren't using the proper form or technique. Reasonable enough.

I'm of two minds about it... armor being the be-all and end-all would be a little nicer if there were more variety, but everybody has the exact same armor with different looks. Try loading up Frackin'Universe sometime and you will SEE what Starbound can become when you have a decent variety of what you have access to. Vanilla Starbound is just so..... plain. Get access to new planet types/materials... gather a little, make new armor... stats go up. There's a mild amount of variety when you get to the last two tiers but even then it's tank/damage/energy ... which is kinda... meh.

Yes, it's nice to know you're about to blunder your way into a deathtrap ahead of time, I will say though I wish there were a little variety with planets... I've always felt that yes, having Tier 10 Forest planets was kinda dumb (remember that, in Koala? A star system might have a Level 1 Forest and a Lv10 forest at the same star? lol), but yet we could have a little variety... I hate that All forests are Lv2 and all Lava Lands are Lv6... absolutely no variance at all.

I'd like to see, I don't know +1/-1 variance where a Forest could be Lv1-3 and a Lava Land could be Lv5-6. If you wanted a little more challenge, and perhaps better rewards, you could intentionally set down on a high level forest. But if you're not so good or you're under-equipped, you'd seek a weaker Forest. The Lv3 Forests would have perhaps +20% ore and slightly better rewards from containers, while the Lv1 forests would be the opposite.

2. {insert_name_here}

{insert_name_here} Astral Cartographer

That would be nice, but it kind of abolishes the devs idea of "Tier 5 stars are all frozen stars", etc. This is because, if you have a tier 5 volcanic planet orbiting a dead, cold star, then it doesn't make sense, so something would need to be done about that.

That's what terraformers are for! Want to build a tier 6 colony so that you can get cool rewards, but don't like the volcanic terrain and cinder showers getting in your way? Change the planet type to a more friendlier one!

Also, perhaps there could be an actual option for space station colonies by implementing a system that increases the colony tier of your space station the more tenants it has or the larger it is.

3. Gon009

Gon009 Subatomic Cosmonaut

But you know, it already doesn't make sense because blue stars in real life are hotter than red ones. Devs could change that one thing in my opinion :p
    Also, the temperature of the planet depends on distance to the star. "Frozen" stars aren't dead because they give a light and when it comes to stars then light means temperature. Dead or completely frozen would be no light at all. So why not? :p Even quite "cold" star can give enough temperature if planet is close enough.

{insert_name_here} likes this.
  4. ManaUser

ManaUser Cosmic Narwhal

I'm taking the Morrowind discussion to another existing thread. Let's continue it there, if you care to.

I know you're a big FU fan, I've yet to try it. Definitely intend to, but not sure if now would be a good time with the update imminent. I agree with what you're saying though, armor variety is definitely a weak point.

As a relative noob I didn't know about the T10 forest planets. So threat and planet type used to be completely separate things... interesting. It does seem reasonable the two would be at least related, so a range like you said might have been nice, yeah.

You already get frozen planets orbiting fiery stars. The reverse is only barely weirder.

5. DragonsForce

DragonsForce Weight of the Sky

I'm pretty sure the threat level and therefor the rewards also change with the terraforming, so that doesn't work.

6. {insert_name_here}

{insert_name_here} Astral Cartographer

http://starbounder.org/Terraforming#Terraformers

"After terraforming the planet it will take on all the attributes of the new biome - monsters, weather, and natural objects. The planet's gravity, Tier and underground composition will remain unchanged, and outpost gates will not be removed."

DragonsForce likes this.
  7. General Nuclear

General Nuclear Supernova

all the leg parts to the mechs are so boring and unoriginal they are just copys of each ohter.

could at least had made some belt wheels for legs or added more legs or something.

Last edited: Jun 7, 2017
  8. DragonsForce

Ok then... Guess I'll be doing that at some point :D

9. Iaeyan Elyuex

Iaeyan Elyuex Cosmic Narwhal

A foghorn mech horn? This is-I say, this is the bee's knees!

10. Xylia

Xylia Tiy's Beard

Eh?

You're completely misunderstanding what I meant.

What I'm saying is that if you fly to a Frozen Star and look at the Frozen Planets there, you might see a Level 4 Frozen Planet here, or a Level 5 Frozen Planet there, or maybe even a Level 6 Frozen Planet over there. The Level 6 frozen planet would have 20% more ore and better container loot than the Level 5 Frozen Planet (which is the norm) would.

My proposal would NOT affect what planet(s) are found at what stars -- it would only add some variance to the planets' levels (a +1/-1 as stated above).

EDIT: And no, I am NOT proposing we put Solarium on Lv6 Frozen; again, the ores would still be found only on certain planet types. Planets that are +1 level would simply have more of the same ore than the +0 or -1 variants.

11. Shaggyd0g

Shaggyd0g Scruffy Nerf-Herder

There is also a Bull Horn and a Steam Whistle (you know like ye olde steam trains) which are pretty comical

A 20mb update to unstable dropped not too long ago if you wanna update the list of changes :3

12. Kawa

Kawa Tiy's Beard

Did you really think I needed to be told? The new diff is already there.

DragonsForce likes this.
  13. Shaggyd0g

Shaggyd0g Scruffy Nerf-Herder

It wasn't when I was looking earlier

14. Caaros the King of Chaos

Caaros the King of Chaos Void-Bound Voyager

Is there any reliable way of knowing what they changed/added with each unstable update?

15. Wartavian

Wartavian Pangalactic Porcupine

I think kawa is the log cat of this page.

16. DragonsForce

Correct, although you have to be able to understand the logs. They can be found here.

17. Tlactl

Tlactl Cosmic Narwhal

I hope they make it so that your crewmates can also deploy mechs, id even be happy if they had the lowest level mechs. That way you can bring crewmates to space stations and anomalies instead of having them not exist or just float around until they die

Zlyvr and Shaggyd0g like this.
  18. HachiYakumo

HachiYakumo Phantasmal Quasar

I hope they add the hability to remove placed station modules.

Zlyvr likes this.
  19. BatPetersAKAEnderzilla747

BatPetersAKAEnderzilla747 Pangalactic Porcupine

Roar! Yet another post I made didn't load correctly. Yesterday I thought I posted about there being "ancient" space encounters, and if anyone had found them.

20. Xylia

Xylia Tiy's Beard

Sometimes you gotta give @Kawa a few minutes after an update. It takes awhile to unpack (at least it does me) the packed assets file and then run the scans to see what changed... usually gotta wait at least 15-30 minutes after the update before the diffs page lists the new update.