Modding Help Creating mod - Problems right on start.

Discussion in 'Starbound Modding' started by Qbi Wan, May 19, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Qbi Wan

Qbi Wan Pangalactic Porcupine

2. projectmayhem

projectmayhem Spaceman Spiff

Last edited: May 19, 2017
  3. Qbi Wan

Thx, just what I needed.

Edit:
    Ok, I have my new object. Now, actually how can I put it in my game? :rofl:

Last edited: May 21, 2017
  4. lazarus78

lazarus78 The Waste of Time

5. Qbi Wan

Thx, I have uploaded my mod on steam. This ebook is great, but it lacks one feature - updating mods on steam. How can I do this?

6. Nemasys

Nemasys Cosmic Narwhal

After clicking the play button for Starbound in Steam select "Launch Mod Uploader Tool" instead of "Play Starbound" and fill out the info in the window that pops up. Pretty much the same thing you did when you first submitted the nod. Just use the same mod and make sure that the 'link' and 'steamContentId' lines in your metadata file are still the same as the version that is already on steam otherwise you will upload a duplicate instead of an update.

7. projectmayhem

I would like to point out also, that one Steam you can change your mods description and stuff on your mods page. However, when you upload an update, if you do not change the infomation on the Mod Uploader Tool, you will overwrite it back to what you originally had. Took me a few mistakes to realize why my mods info kept reverting back

8. Qbi Wan

Modding in Starbound is officially bugged - my conclusion after week of "work".

9. Nemasys

Nemasys Cosmic Narwhal

What problem did you run in to?

10. Qbi Wan

Steam modding ignores graphical changes - to spare some time I have used rocks icon... as icon... Now i wanted to change it, but for no reason it not only remembers old one and keeps it as default. And this ModPackHelper? wow... At first it did great as testing tool. When I wanted to use it again to test these graphical issues it acted like working, but results were gone. Now I downloaded it again, but now it can't find mod folders... while actually having 4 of them around.

11. DraikNova

DraikNova Spaceman Spiff

I suspect the issue is that you have to spawn in a new version of the object in question to see the update. Starbound usually makes objects almost entirely separate from their files, which is kinda nice on one hand, because it makes parameters and custom objects and stuff like that possible. On the other hand, with modding, it can be a pain. So yeah, /spawnitem a new version of your object in, and see if it works.

G.Xyon and projectmayhem like this.
  12. G.Xyon

G.Xyon Space Kumquat

Vouching for @DraikNova, unless the change of the object or item is rather extreme, the object/item tend to keep their parameters even after the game has been reloaded or restarted. Meaning, you won't really see any changes unless you re-spawn/re-obtain the item.

Additionally, I have to append onto the Steam Workshop conversation: mods on Steam Update take a while to update. Don't expect to upload an updated version of the mod and have it seconds later updated, at the very least for me it takes from 1 to 5 minutes to register the update and then begin downloading. This is why I suggest to only upload finished work onto the Steam Workshop and strictly use the mod folder within the Starbound directory as a work environment for testing.

13. Qbi Wan

That's great. I have created new head costume. In moment when I spawn it, I can craft all racial costumes at sewing machine...
    Any ideas how to prevent this?

Last edited: Jun 2, 2017
    projectmayhem likes this.
  14. Qbi Wan

Modding in Starbound is officially bugged - my conclusion after two weeks of "work".

15. G.Xyon

G.Xyon Space Kumquat

What exactly do you mean? Being able to craft everything is standard admin behavior. If you want to return to normal, you'll have to remove your admin status by inputting /admin again.

16. Qbi Wan

I did not know that :rofl: THX, after typing /admin all is back to normal.
    Above e-book explains how to add recipe that u can craft with your bare hands, but it doesn't say how to add it to other crafting stations.

17. G.Xyon

G.Xyon Space Kumquat

No prob! First steps of modding is to experiment with literally everything. Make sure to exhaust all of your options before crying wolf!

For adding recipes to other crafting tables, there's a couple things you need to ask yourself: what crafting table are you going to make the item available, and what type of item is it.

You have a variety of ways of figuring this out, but for the sake of learning, let's take the long way.

Q. Which crafting table do you want?
    A. Generally the bigger question here. Let's say you're making some kind of weapon, and weapons are usually available in the anvil! So, we know which table to use, but... how do we make it available? For this, we have to search for the object itself: craftinganvil, found in: objects > crafting > upgradeablecraftingobjects > craftinganvil > craftinganvil.object.

You'll find a couple of *.pngs and *.frame files there, but what you want is the *.object. Upon opening the object file, within the object's parameters, you'll find something like this a couple of times:
    Code:
    "filter" : [ "craftinganvil" ]
    "filter" : [ "craftinganvil", "craftinganvil2" ]
    "filter" : [ "craftinganvil", "craftinganvil2", "craftinganvil3" ]

This 'filter' that your seeing is how the game knows to associate recipes that contain the filter with the specified crafting table.

However, this isn't all there is to making it appear there.

Q. What kind of item is it?
    A. Previously you found what makes recipes show up in certain crafting tables, but remember that crafting tables (at least the vanilla ones) are also broken down by categories: in this case, the anvil is broken down in weapons, armor, backitems, and other things I can't remember right now.

How does a crafting table know how to sort things by categories? Easy: the object has a configuration file (*.config) that tells the game in which "tab" it'll filter items to, among other important things. Checking the craftingtable.object, we can find this somewhere in there:
    Code:
    "config" : "/interface/windowconfig/craftinganvil.config"

And upon going there, scrolling down, we find this:
    Code:
    "categories" : {
          "type" : "radioGroup",
          "toggleMode" : false,
          "buttons" : [
            {
              "selected" : true,
              "position" : [18, 221],
              "baseImage" : "/interface/crafting/unselectedTab.png",
              "baseImageChecked" : "/interface/crafting/selectedTab.png",
              "data" : {
                "filter" : [ "armours" ]
              }
            },
            {
              "position" : [45, 221],
                "filter" : [ "weapons" ]
              }
            },
            {
              "position" : [72, 221],
                "filter" : [ "consumables" ]
              }
            },
            {
              "position" : [99, 221],
                "filter" : [ "hazardgear" ]
              }
            }
          ]
        }

Each of these 'filters' will sort out recipes that will be displayed in the anvil; they are quite self-explanatory. It should be noted that if your recipe does not contain any of these additional filters, it will not show up!

So, with everything the e-book has taught you, and this mini-guide, your final recipe should look something like this:
    Code:
    //Iron Broadsword Recipe
    {
      "input" : [
        { "item" : "ironbar", "count" : 6 },
        { "item" : "climbingrope", "count" : 4 }
      ],
      "output" : { "item" : "ironbroadsword", "count" : 1 },
      "groups" : [ "craftinganvil", "weapons", "all" ]
    }

As you can see, this recipe will be shown in the anvil, as it contains the appropriate "craftinganvil" filter, further filtered down and placed in the "weapons" category of the crafting table.

This can be done for nearly all crafting tables: if you plan to make your own, you can set your own custom filters as well to make sure that everything is shown where it should be.

18. Qbi Wan

Do I have to somehow add it to my KNOWN RECIPIES?

Last edited: Jun 4, 2017
  19. projectmayhem

yeah, you have to patch the player.config file. Or if it's a species specific recipe, you can patch the species file, or if you want them to learn it when they pick up another item, you can do it that way too.

20. Qbi Wan

How? I'd like to have it for all species. I made earlier player.config.patch like this:
    Code:
    Code:
    [
    {
    "op" : "add",
    "path" : "/defaultBlueprints/tier3// Spinning Wheel 2",
    "value" : { "item" : "nothingonhead" }
    }
    ]
    I made my item to show up in "C" menu (bare-hands crafting), but I'd like to craft it at sewing machine.