Which game do you most regret wasting money on?

Discussion in 'Games' started by RogueZephyr, May 25, 2017.

1. RogueZephyr

RogueZephyr Subatomic Cosmonaut

Any game from any platform. I have two.

Call of Duty - Black Ops - The first big game I got after building my PC. Sadly the bugs prevented me from playing it for a long while, and when I did get round to playing it, I felt that it didn't live up to the hype

Legends of Pegasus - I love my 4x space sim games, and this one seemed really promising. After weeks of promises regarding updates, bug fixes and work, they cancelled it. I had to twist Steam's arm to get them to give me my money back, and even then it was in-store credit rather than an actual refund.

2. dullreverie

dullreverie Void-Bound Voyager

Albion Online, bought into that early on idea and have since been disappointed with whats happening with it.

EthanGoldring and RogueZephyr like this.
  3. RogueZephyr

Interesting. I've been considering buying it. How has it not live up to expectations?

dullreverie likes this.
  4. Pangaea

Pangaea Forum Moderator

I've bought a few games and have yet to play them. Just haven't had much inclination to play them because I've either been playing something else or disinterested in games in general. I feel a little guilty about buying them but not playing yet but I guess that's not what you're asking. As far as "regret" I can't really say I regret any of them. I've had fun whilst I played the games I've owned and feel satisfied with the amount of enjoyment I got for my money. If I had to pick one I guess I would say Maplestory for reasons similar to what baile said. It has completely changed over the years. I was a fairly serious player and spent quite a bit of money on it. Haven't played it for 5 years so it seems like I wasted my time and money in hindsight. But like I said, at the time I did enjoy playing it and played often enough that I didn't feel like I was wasting my money and time.

RogueZephyr likes this.
  5. Arra

Arra The End of Time

Destiny by far. I preordered when it was on the Xbox 360 and I was an avid player. It was my favorite game at the time, the DLCs making the story much more interesting. The waste, however came about with the advent of the rise of iron DLC. It was only to be on next gen consoles. So my 100+ hours of progress and work was wasted since I wasn't going to be able to continue the fun on a last gen console. If this is how Bungie is going to be treating it's "Founders" I want no part of their other games.

RogueZephyr likes this.
  6. Roland Weiss

Roland Weiss Tiy's Beard

The worst thirty bucks I ever spent was on Space Hulk; and would be the last time I bought a game sight unseen. In case you're wondering it's based on a WH40K boardgame of the same name. Besides not working before a necessary patch made it so the game would recognize keyboard inputs, the game itself gave you very little info in regards to firing arcs, making you do a lot of guesswork in regards to whether a specific spot allowed you to shoot at that group of genestealers, or if you'd be defenceless while you watched your tank-like space marines get eviscerated through their armour somehow. Kinda important in a turn-based tactics game if you asked me.

RogueZephyr likes this.
  7. Parrotte

Parrotte Supernova

Back in my day I used to play on the PS3 a lot. And I really liked (and still like) both Assassin's Creed (the first game) and the LittleBigPlanet franchise. So, being naive like I am, I thought I would really like AC3 and LBP Karting. They were just out and I somehow convinced my mother to spend like 100 euros on it. Boy-oh, do I regret that.

Assassin's Creed 3 is not entirely bad. The fighting early on was satisfying enough, and the naval parts of the game are awesome. But by the time I finished half the game, it became so boring.
    Hunting was a chore. Nothing fun about that. All the eavesdrop missions were so tedious, having to deal with the PS3 version's many bugs (I'll come back to that in just a moment.). Every fight started with the prompt unloading of my dual two-shot pistols, which was enough to brutally execute the usual squad that attacked you. If that didn't work you could just counter-attack your way through every squad, like in AC 1. The plot of the game stopped interesting me and the last mission was an utter pain. The only fun thing was to try and manoeuvre one of the big axe guys into wide swinging one of his friends across the screen.

Bugs were rife in the PS3 version too. The AI had a giant tendency to attempt to walk through walls or buildings. They also liked drowning themselves. There were more than excusable collision errors, which along with your character's tendency to parkour to the wrong things, made the last mission (which involved a lot of jumping around in a short time) a damned hell to get through. You could jump down into spaces you should die in but you wouldn't if you landed at the right spot. Stealth missions were fun, with the AI's X-ray vision at times. Going into the Underground was fun, because they usually lagged like hell. Except for the Boston Underground - that one usually crashed the PS3. When it wouldn't, you'd get visual glitches that could give a perfectly fine person an epileptic attack.

That's for ACIII.

As for LBPK, the game was good enough, but I just didn't enjoy it as much as the other LBP games. Probably due to the rather limited creative freedom coming from it being a karting game.

RogueZephyr likes this.
  8. Nerva

Nerva Parsec Taste Tester

Champions Online. I bought a month of premium access once, just to see how badly pay-to-win the game was.

It was so different from being a free player that I uninstalled the game permanently. I cannot even begin to go into how badly they gimp those who don't have a paid account.

Mythril-Jelly and RogueZephyr like this.
  9. dullreverie

dullreverie Void-Bound Voyager

Thank you for asking me this question, since It led me to then check to see if any updates would make my response obsolete.

My disappointment was mostly focused around lack of PvE content, poor visuals and lack of meaningful goals after reaching tier 5. The Galahad and Hector updates seem to attempt at correcting the PvE and visual aspects but I can't know until I play them. So Im afraid I would rather wait until I feel knowledgeable about the most recent changes to answer that question.

10. Jerln

Jerln Oxygen Tank

No Man's Sky?

More like No Man's Buy!

;-;

RogueZephyr likes this.
  11. Roland Weiss

Roland Weiss Tiy's Beard

Geez, when I first heard of that game, I immediately thought it wasn't going to deliver. And when you see Peter Molyneux level promises, it's time to abandon ship.

RogueZephyr likes this.
  12. Jerln

Jerln Oxygen Tank

My friend had already bought it, and told me to get it so we could play multiplayer together. Normally, I would wait for the reviews, but for some reason I decided to trust him instead...

SickSix and RogueZephyr like this.
  13. Biirdy Daysleeper

Biirdy Daysleeper Weight of the Sky

Rush Bros, I've only wasted 1€ on it but by selling a rare TF2 crate (the object in it would have been a better deal whatever it was in comparison of that game). I've bought it because it was looking neat and because a pretty well known guy was playing it, but it's just a weird and very clumsy Super Meat Boy Like. x')

RogueZephyr likes this.
  14. Tlactl

Tlactl Cosmic Narwhal

No Man's Sky and Planetary Annihilation. The steam refund policy really sucks

RogueZephyr likes this.
  15. Hel

Hel ✨ Johto's Finest ✨ Forum Moderator

Destiny.

But does it count if I got a full refund?

I played it for 2 days and go so bored I just had to take it back. Lucky I got my full amount back. Shops don't normally do that

Cally94 likes this.
  16. RogueZephyr

Its not great, as my experience with Legends of Pegasus proved (and that was a game that was unplayable and abandoned by the company that was developing it.)

17. Surenu

Surenu The End of Time

Sim City 5. Need I say more?

SickSix likes this.
  18. RogueZephyr

Good shout. Nice of EA to ruin a great franchise like that...

MrsGuu, SickSix and Surenu like this.
  19. Surenu

Surenu The End of Time

Yeah. Initially, it looked genuinely good - the graphics are nice, there's no denying that, but it was basically a rotten cake with just a tiny bit of nice icing on the top.

20. Parrotte

Parrotte Supernova

Isn't that the one which you can basically play on a phone too?
    As EA usually does.
    Dead Space series (although that was made by them originally too), Mass Effect, Red Alert, Tiberium Timeline, Sims and Sim City...