Chat Tell Us Your Troubles Thread - advice & friendly chats

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by BloodyFingers, Oct 22, 2013.

1. Pangaea

Pangaea Forum Moderator

This could work in theory. But the issue is a bit more complex than I can really explain. Plus it wouldn't stop them from convincing me to hurt myself.

2. SivCorp

SivCorp Parsec Taste Tester

Well if it's chemical or imbalance based.... meds is all that is required. Ya just gotta stay on them.

3. Pangaea

Pangaea Forum Moderator

There's a bit of misconception here, I think. Yes, medication helps. But it doesn't "fix" or "cure" anything. There is no fix. There is no cure. Meds help make the symptoms less severe or less frequent but they do not remove them completely. And for most people medication is not all that's required. Therapy (of different kinds) is very beneficial.

4. BloodyFingers

BloodyFingers The End of Time

For some mental illnesses, therapy or meds alone won't do. A combination of both is required.

5. SivCorp

That's why I said "if it is chemical or imbalanced based". I'm not saying that is the only reason at all.

And yeah, BloodyFingers... usually a combination is required.

6. The Purple Dragon

The Purple Dragon Master Astronaut

I love how you're discussing medication with that avatar.

MilkCalf and SivCorp like this.
  7. SivCorp

Lol, that is funny. Ya need some radaway? ;)

8. Pangaea

Pangaea Forum Moderator

Yes! That's what I was trying to say but somehow managed to make saying more complicated than it needed to be without actually saying it at all. lol

Allow me to readdress this to make clearer what I meant. There is no such thing as "chemical imbalance" or whatever. Yes, it seems like certain neurotransmitters play a significant role in different mental illnesses but they're not the only thing involved. Frankly, scientists don't really know for sure what exactly causes mental illnesses or why certain medications work for some. They just know that they seem to work for specific instances in some patients. Let's take SSRIs for example. They're basically prescribed because of the wrong incomplete belief that depression is simply an imbalance of serotonin. Again, scientists don't know exactly how they work but they think they mostly don't allow the re-absorption of serotonin allowing for more to be available. Thus, with more available serotonin the depression symptoms would diminish. The weird thing is that they do seem to work for a lot of people. But, again, scientists aren't exactly sure why. (As an aside, I was prescribed an SSRI when I wasn't being completely honest about my symptoms and they thought I only had depression. It didn't do anything except make me feel high when I first started taking it.) There is some truth to the "chemical imbalance" theory but it's not the complete picture when it comes to mental health issues. Treating a mental illness with just a medication does work for some people. However, as was mentioned, a lot of the time a combination of medication and therapy is necessary because there's more going on than just "chemical imbalance."

So, bringing this from the general back to me personally: one of the medications I'm on is an anti-psychotic that regulates dopamine. This helps treat some symptoms (like hallucinations) but literally does nothing for others (like blunted affect). Therapy helps with some of these other symptoms. So for me (and probably just about anyone else with my disorder) both are necessary.

And whilst we're talking about medication, here's some good news. Since my original post I've been taking my meds as prescribed! (;

MilkCalf, Surenu and SivCorp like this.
  9. Surenu

Surenu The End of Time

I recently began taking the occasional Mirtazipine again. It's an antidepressant that also works against the symptoms of PTSD, which makes sense because I don't actually suffer from depressions (at least, not a lot) but, well, PTSD. It's not really helping. But on the other hand, I managed to sleep an entire night without waking up from flashbacks!

MilkCalf, Waffle-Chan and Bonabopn like this.
  10. Waffle-Chan

Waffle-Chan Guest

Well, I guess that's good:)

Surenu likes this.
  11. Surenu

Surenu The End of Time

It's a major step up I guess. Back in, let's say, 2014 I got three or four hours of sleep per night on good days.

Waffle-Chan likes this.
  12. BigEaredKittens

BigEaredKittens Master Astronaut

Currently I'm letting my medical bills go a bit delingquent, because want to save for replacement floor futon. But also have booze withdrawl, so struggling not to blow it all on "feeling good". :catnod:Been sober for over a week, I think. Driving me a bit crazy, but I'll be fine with it.

Indulging my personal hobbies has helped make me feel better, tho still in a depression. Progress is being made tho... I think.

Pangaea and MilkCalf like this.
  13. Surenu

Surenu The End of Time

You do realize that the idea of us setting up a gofundme or something similar was not a joke, right?

BigEaredKittens and MilkCalf like this.
  14. BigEaredKittens

BigEaredKittens Master Astronaut

Yes yes, $3000 in money could sustain my needs for a year or two, perhaps.

I have some things I can pawn still.. uncomfortable with begging for money. Thanks tho.

Last edited: May 19, 2017
  15. Surenu

Surenu The End of Time

Thanks to a number of forum members (and one very special former forum member) my PTSD is getting better.

Last edited: May 20, 2017
  16. BloodyFingers

I'm glad to hear that! I honestly would never have expected to find such a benign place on the internet, but hey. Here we are.

Surenu likes this.
  17. Surenu

Surenu The End of Time

It's therapeuthic in a way, isn't it?

I_am_the_Storm and BloodyFingers like this.
  18. BloodyFingers

I can confidently say that I'd be in a much worse shape if not for this place. It has been the one constant thing in my life during these turbulent times. I don't know where I'll be tomorrow, but I know where I'll be posting about it.

19. I_am_the_Storm

I_am_the_Storm Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Do you know, what would be most therapeuthic, Ladies and Gentlemen?
    An opportunity to meet in person, let's say in some coffee bar, with nice music and good atmosphere, because hugs and words of encouragment are better in real life.

It's just a pious hope, but one can dream, right?

Surenu and Pangaea like this.
  20. Pangaea

Pangaea Forum Moderator

I can honestly say that meeting good friends whom you've developed a relationship online with is an exciting thing! Personally I would love to meet a lot of the people I regularly talk with on the forums. But, honestly, it'll likely never happen.

I_am_the_Storm likes this.