Modding Discussion Avali 1.0 Reboot Discussion

Discussion in 'Starbound Modding' started by RyuujinZERO, Aug 11, 2016.

1. Sock of Retribution

Sock of Retribution Scruffy Nerf-Herder

I never said he had to work on the mod further, and I never said this kind of work isn't tedious. That's precisely why I've never bothered to take up such a task. I tend to be an emotion-oriented person despite stressing logic, and you are correct about my frustration when I feel like no meaningful development (no canon development, rather) is being made. I also get irked when I feel like my words are constantly getting taken out of context, but I don't want to get too triggered.

I have to disagree about assets Ryuu's left: I really don't think there are enough. It certainly wasn't Ryuu's intention for Triage to serve as its own reboot and I don't think that's what he'd want anyhow.

If I were to try and contact him, it'd be only to ask what situation he's in right now and what his plans are for the mod. I'm not forcing him to do anything.

I just hope you guys are aware how much of an overcast sky his indefinite silence is to this community. The lore is in limbo for as long as he is. If this keeps up, we'll never know when to start developing the reboot assets without him if it comes to that.

Last edited: May 13, 2017
  2. Scival

Scival Oxygen Tank

The really frustrating part isn't that he left in the first place, it's that he came back and was all like "Whooo! REBOOT!" then left again.

3. Sock of Retribution

I'm not angry at the guy (or I at least try not to be), but I honestly don't have much faith that he's coming back on his own power. He would be giving us a heads-up if that's what was going to happen. He certainly hasn't in the past half-year anyhow, and my hope is dwindling the more this keeps up. I don't believe I am alone in this mental standpoint.

I'm starting to believe more and more that intervention will be necessary, and I hope you see why.

4. YellowDemonHurlr

YellowDemonHurlr Ketchup Robot

I apologize if I've misinterpreted anything you said. My main point is that I believe that hunting him down is going to make him feel pressured, no matter how polite you are, and therefore less likely to return. Do what you feel you must, but I recommend leaving him alone.

I think the avali community has proven that it can tick along okay without him. At least that's how I see it: the machinima (my most successful project) needed no input from Ryuujin besides "yes, you can use the avali" and "you can deviate from canon if you need to."

Maybe I'm not as disturbed by his absence as you are because I saw this coming from the very beginning. The reboot was too big, of course it was going to bog down.

Sock of Retribution likes this.
  5. TR-219

TR-219 Subatomic Cosmonaut

After having read through this entire thread (and joining it late), I feel like this cycle has happened before, where someone begins making inquiries into Ryuu's whereabouts. Each time it ends the same way, the person making inquiries is eventually shut down, told to not do anything, for fear of knocking Ryuu further away. It's kind of funny, actually. Maybe in a months time, it will happen again.

6. YellowDemonHurlr

Maybe there's a reason for that. When I say that I think the fanbase is grating to him, I didn't mean he's shy, I meant I get the impression he finds the fanbase wearisome and demanding (and having gone through various avali threads, I can see why). I really do think that someone he doesn't know going and poking him will just annoy him. It's really easy for a content creator to make it easy for his fans to contact him, so the fact that Ryuujin is so hard to contact suggests that he doesn't want to be contacted.

7. Firebird Zoom

Firebird Zoom Oxygen Tank

Rated "insightful"

Sorry, wrong forum.

8. Sock of Retribution

Well I haven't been around as long as you, but I personally have seen very little to none of that. Since I consider myself part of the avali community, I hate to think that I could be grouped with such demanding people you speak of (though I have not seen, and I think I tend to get around), especially if my words are taken out of context - 'A few bad apples spoil the barrel' kinda deal.

As for my earlier posts, I apologize if I seemed hostile: I went into panic mode and got hot-headed.

Firebird Zoom likes this.
  9. Firebird Zoom

I struggle with the same issues.

10. Sock of Retribution

Firebird why'd you stop giving everybody free likes I liked that ;-; *chirp*

notanaccount2 and Firebird Zoom like this.
  11. Firebird Zoom

I got distracted with other things.

12. YellowDemonHurlr

Let me clarify that he's never outright said such, but reading how he interacts with people who have posted in this thread (and elsewhere), that's the sense I get.

Anyway. Lore discussion: avali are primarily predators, and in evolution eating meat is associated with a weaker sense of taste (cows have more taste buds than us, and we have more taste buds than dolphins). Given this, would avali quisine lean toward what to us are overwhelming flavors like the nakati taco?

13. TR-219

First, a question. When were the food items added? Before triage? or after?

14. YellowDemonHurlr

Before. They were present in 0.12.4, the last version released by Ryuujin.

15. TR-219

Then it is both probable they have limited taste buds, and like overwhelming levels of flavour... I can think of a few human dishes that might appeal to avali, albeit weak to them, and possibly inedible.

jonathonspy likes this.
  16. bjorn0411

bjorn0411 Phantasmal Quasar

I feel like, when it comes to Ryuu's absence, its probably a few things all mixed into one.
    Firstly, sometimes the fans do definitely grate on him, soooo many times has he showed some kind of distaste towards "Wheres the respawn animation?" comments, and he has said countless times "If you dont like the cut in the spaceship, you can cover it up"
    (When I mention distaste, he has never been like "Fuck these fans for XYZ", hes been cool about it all)

But secondly, I have a feeling it could be guilt. You leave something behind, for whatever reason, and you know that as you leave it, people are sitting there, waiting, and you feel guilty about it, and due to the bad emotion youre now connecting with the work, you feel less inclined to do it, making you leave it more, feeling more guilty, this cycle can sometimes be juuust strong enough to perpetuate itself for a long long time.

I definitely dont think Ryuu is shy, nor do I think he is lazy, I've talked to him on Steam, we were gonna play Everquest Next Landmark together, (we never did, it turned out to be garbage lol). But he does seem to be a good person, one who is not shy to talk, nor does he seem lazy.
    Looking at his profile, pretty much every comment on there is about the avali, and I dont think any of it is exactly helping.

I wanna cause an intervention just as much as the next guy, but I really dont think itd help if you want any chance of him coming back to the project in a positive way. I mean heck if I know, I havent talked enough with him to know him well, but if I was in his shoes, and fans kept pestering me, id only be frustrated by it. and less inclined to work on the project.

I wish it wasnt the case, but I really do believe that we cant really do anything to get him back. Especially not by pestering.

I mean, if we could show just how much the Avali mod means to us all, without shoving it in his face, that might turn things around positively, but hell if I know how that'd be doable.

17. Scival

Scival Oxygen Tank

Well, you basically summed up every page in this thread that's just us just talking about the elusive Ryuujin.
    Does anyone here have any productive ideas?
    If you're wondering why I call him the "elusive" Ryuujin, it's because at this point he's basically this mysterious shadow only appearing for brief moments in a beacon of light to bring us false hopes before disappearing, possibly never to be seen again.
    Oh, and since you mentioned the spaceship, would someone please slap whoever in the Triage team had the brilliant idea of removing that? The only purpose in playing the avali race is because it looks good!

Last edited: May 19, 2017
  18. Sock of Retribution

I suppose I should just forget the whole issue, but it's really hard for me to do that for some reason. My heart aches when the original creator is not present to attend to his creation and see it evolve and blossom. I'm sure he's seen how successful the mod has become, but there's so much potential here. I tend to be a dreamer, I guess, and I can see the avali becoming one of the most respected fan-made sci-fi races in history.

Heh, wishful thinking.

notanaccount2 and Firebird Zoom like this.
  19. bjorn0411

bjorn0411 Phantasmal Quasar

I wouldnt go as far as "one of the most respected fan-made sci-fi races in history." But it is legitimately an amazing race that could go really really far, considering how big it grew in Starbound despite its problems and whatnot (I mean, the mod isnt even all that compatible with the game itself, even so far as the avali being unable to use 90% of all armor) thats gotta count for something, right? Pretty much everyone finds its lore fairly interesting, and I can personally attest to how nice the style is, I absolutely love how everything looks, from the race itself to the armor to the weapons to the ships to frickin' everything.

I mean, right now, all that the Avali is, is a spore creation, a story, and a starbound mod. (A stellaris mod was in the making too, I believe) Despite the vague places it's in, its still incredibly popular, its got everything from amazing artists to modders to die-hard fans who just cant let the mod die. Saying that the Avali isnt great would be madness. I'd like to call Ryuu a bit silly if he hasnt realised this, but considering the only fan interaction I know hes had since he dissapeared is "Hey, ive got an idea related to the avali I'd like to discuss with you" over and over again.
    The mod really is HUGE, and not content wise, but in popularity.

and I do think it is possible to get Ryuu back, its all about doing it in the right way, phrase it right and present it right, no clue how to do that however.
    But maybe im the one with the wishful thinking this time.

20. IFailAtGaming

IFailAtGaming Scruffy Nerf-Herder

yeah, think he gave up on that cause he was having trouble exporting ship models, or maybe the portrait wouldn't work right, maybe both, those are the hardest bit of stellaris modding in my opinion