Dev Blog 9th May - Bless This Spess

Discussion in 'Dev Blog' started by mollygos, May 9, 2017.

1. DraikNova

DraikNova Spaceman Spiff

Have you guys ever seen the Floran ship? There's a hole right in the middle of it, and there's no way to fix that either.

2. maestro kitty

maestro kitty Aquatic Astronaut

Reasonable =/= Inexpensive

Also, that T-Junction is certainly not tiny. Somewhat small, yes, but not tiny.

3. DarthTrethon

DarthTrethon Spaceman Spiff

Given the amount of time needed to construct a small empty room with no additional benefits than one on a planet we are well beyond the extreme realms of VERY expensive. We're talking at least 20 minutes of strictly gathering materials and then there's the wait time needed for all the glass and bars to made.....upwards of half an hour for small tiny empty room is NOT reasonable.

4. MrCasual112

MrCasual112 Scruffy Nerf-Herder

I hope they have big plans for the space stations

Like, similar to Mother Base in MGS: TPP - If you make your space station "X" size, it attracts cool stuff to it. Like a tiny space station might attract a few people willing to live on it, but making a HUGE multi-roomed one will attract lots of attention, unique merchants that sell cool stuff (useful stuff pls, like weapon vendors or unique weapons / really high tech mech upgrades etc)

And if you make a space station with, say, 50 rooms, something neat happens. I really hope its not just a fancy house with tenants that just drop pixels every now and then, I would really like to see some cool and meaningful stuff there, and maybe even some automation? Like hydroponics rooms that grow food exponentially faster, equipping high powered lasers on the space station just to blow up the planet its orbiting around for giggles, and maybe make the resulting ore field be really rich in the ore you need, such as blowing up a tier 5 world will make an asteroid field with tons of durasteel

EDIT: Would also be nice to make it a place to send excess crew, or having a big enough station means you can purchase another spaceship if you so desire, and have your old one dock in it

5. Xylia

Xylia Tiy's Beard

Uh, that T-Junction is roughly 11x32. That's.... not that big. To build this (minus the special blue outside coating blocks), you would need....

-32 for the floor
    -12 for the left and right walls, assuming no door
    -18 for the ceiling between the door and upwards shaft
    -16 for the walls of the upward shaft
    -11 for the ceiling of the upward shaft.

Total, that is 89 blocks.

To fill this in with background blocks, you would need:

-25 Glass Blocks (for the window)
    -408 blocks of assorted types

This comes to a grand total of 497 blocks + 25 glass blocks.

Assuming these were all tungsten-made blocks, you would need...

10 batches of 50 (500).

Each batch requires 1 smooth metal and 1 tungsten bar. You only need 1 batch of smooth metal because that gives you 50, so in the end you need:

-25 Glass Blocks
    -11 Tungsten Bars

Now you could argue that those aren't the blocks being used, sure, but you're going to find that the recipe will take a similar number of blocks to re-create this exact structure.

This is a far, far, FAR cry for the 1,000 glass blocks and 150 durasteel bars that the recipe currently asks for.

This is also not counting doors. Assuming we use a ship door for the base comparison, that takes 1 titanium bar, 5 copper wire, and an AA battery per door, so you would need 3 titanium, 15 copper, and 3 batteries.

EDIT: I forgot to add the left and right walls twice, so add +12 blocks needed which means you would need 11 batches instead of 10, which makes you needing a whopping sum of one more tungsten bar.

EDIT2: My thoughts on this? Sure, they expect us to pay a little more for convenience of having the system do it for us, but c'mon, 15x the price almost? Seriously? Again, 30 bars sounds reasonable when you could do it with 12. That's double the materials to have the convenience of having the game build the room for you, and a little extra bonus of having the blue plating on the outside.

Last edited: May 16, 2017
    DarthTrethon, Kawa and DragonsForce like this.
  6. DraikNova

DraikNova Spaceman Spiff

To be honest, I would totally be willing to pay those prices if it meant I got those outside blocks as actual blocks I can deconstruct and reuse.

7. Xylia

Xylia Tiy's Beard

Eh, just wait for someone to add them in a mod so you can just make said blocks without having to go through so much ridiculous trouble. That's assuming CF won't make the blocks accessible themselves (don't see why not, they look like a very nice block to use for the outside of any metallic structure).

8. DragonsForce

DragonsForce Weight of the Sky

If they are blocks. Because I'd say 75% that they are not.

9. GenoMech

GenoMech Cosmic Narwhal

which is why i mentioned difficulties, on a casual difficulty there wouldn't be invasion, normal there would be, hardcore there is a risk to your stuff (if losing your stuff is too much, that can be ramped down)

idk, i always liked the idea of having enemies that risk invading your settlements, which would make guards and turrets more feasible than just shooting random wildlife that so happened to come by. Then the only way to stop that is finding the bandit camp or the nest where the monster mobs come from, kill the leader or the mother mob, to stop them attacking your settlements. The difference bandit camps attack regardless, monster nests attack the closer you are to the nest.

The turrets in game aren't exactly......good (they only go 90 degrees and can only be placed once), i can see pet tethers in use, but still kind of wish turrets were a little smaller and had better coverage

10. SimplyShadow

SimplyShadow Orbital Explorer

HOLY MOTHER OF GEORGE, any one else hyped up for this?

Last edited by a moderator: May 17, 2017
  11. DraikNova

DraikNova Spaceman Spiff

It's not like it would be very hard for them to make them as blocks. Really, all they would need to do is make one block type that is just a normal block, and one that's more or less like a platform placed diagonally compared to another platform, and then make sure their visuals respond properly to one another.

12. SivCorp

SivCorp Parsec Taste Tester

I will do it.

They WILL be blocks.
    That's why all the building I do anymore is in /admin.
    I'm not wasting my time pointlessly gathering materials, fighting crafting times and doing single block construction. Nope.
    Creativity shouldn't be so limited by the tools they limit us to. /admin for true creativity.

13. donatelllo

donatelllo Void-Bound Voyager

where are the poptop plushys my nia

14. DragonsForce

DragonsForce Weight of the Sky

I'm not to familiar with the system, but I think they should even be able to do it with one block, that's not the point. The issue is that they are likely to not be blocks but instead images like the ships, because that makes the implementation of the stations a lot easier - you don't have to recalculate the stations boundaries (for the gravity, and possibly more) every time a block is changed, and the station is always guaranteed to actually HAVE a fixed boundary and not, for example, an open room, which makes the coding a lot more difficult.

15. Panou

Panou Void-Bound Voyager

I can't believe this game is going to have an Xbox One release, but not a PS4 (or PS Vita) one... this sounds so ridiculous to me...

16. DarthTrethon

It will have a PS4 release....they just announced it for Xbox because the PS4 doesn't have an early access program......but in the end I don't think it'll have an early access on Xbox either and it'll just end up launching on both simultaneously.

17. WoogaBooga

WoogaBooga Scruffy Nerf-Herder

18. Blevruz

Blevruz Phantasmal Quasar

I hope you'll be able to make rooms with custom ceilings and stuff.

Really wanna test it out !

19. Xylia

Xylia Tiy's Beard

The problem with console release, is that they would have to agree to really tone the modding scene down, because for the most part, console companies do NOT want you modding games on their consoles. It took Bethesda a lot of negotiation to allow limited mods on Skyrim.

I don't think Chucklefish is going to have as much clout as a giant like Bethesda to be honest.

So you'll most likely be getting the vanilla game and nothing else. So, lamenting the lack of a PS4 release is... well, you're not missing out on much to be honest. Just get a PC, lol.

Kawa, DragonsForce and Pohany like this.
  20. DarthTrethon

That's alright imo.....sure there are some good mods but the game should be able to stand on its own as well and console releases will test exactly that. But they really need to think and take balancing seriously. They can't get lazy and complacent with game balance because mods won't be there to fix wrecks.....stuff like the insane costs they seem to want to implement for space station building and so on.