Modding Help Waterfall Tilesheet w/ animation

Discussion in 'Mods' started by GlassArrow, Apr 13, 2017.

1. HopeWasHere

HopeWasHere Existential Complex

I think it looks great! It could be because it's not transparent that it seems that the colors aren't right

skipp likes this.
    • Entoarox

Entoarox Oxygen Tank

keep in mind that those colors you are using *arent* the vanilla colors, so your xnb mods might just be a different color from vanilla.

• FieryChaos

FieryChaos Cosmic Narwhal

Those tiles aren't defined with the water property, so no water filter on them. With it, the colors would match a lot better but you'd have the water flow filter (that flows up in vanilla), which I assume you don't want, so you'll have to edit the color to compensate for the missing filter for each season. Otherwise it looks alright.

• Maleha

Maleha Scruffy Nerf-Herder

^ This. The colours on the png I gave is the default blue from the water + 2 lighter tones that we usually see with the overlay from the water edges. And yeah, spring sheet colours for now, but I found they are quite easily replaced, shouldn't take more than a few minutes to reapply all colours. I'll fiddle with it a bit now that I am home again ^^

Update: So been fiddling with it (while watching Dota 2 Kiev Major with my bf, so little progress :p) and I tweaked the colour a bit (also working on the other seasons). The only real issue with the animated water overlay I see is in the direct transition. I have an idea I'll be testing out next, which is cutting away the darker water at the transition bit, and putting water tiles beneath. We'll see how that turns out. ^^

[​IMG]

Update 2: So I wasted an hour trying to figure out how to make a gif out of a short video clip... my upload sucks to online conversion was out of the question with a 4 second file that still sizes up to 100 mb ._. So have a still: works out much better I think. I had initially been considering going with a transparent look for the waterfall, but the few examples of fountains we have in the game (town, bathhouse) made me choose a solid colour. But I'd love to have opinions on that! :3
          [​IMG]

Final update for the night: Here's with 80% opacity. Will have to make a few cliff face tiles for underneath if I go with this... but tempting. I like how it looks ingame, might test 90% as well, 80 might be a bit much... :)
          [​IMG]

Here's the current 100% opacity tilesheet (yeah, left myself a lot of blank space for other experiments ._.)
          spring_extrasTileSheet.png

Last edited: Apr 30, 2017
            HopeWasHere likes this.
          • JamieMage2005

JamieMage2005 Title Not Found

Let me know when this is ready for release. I would love a waterfall in my UltraFarm map project!

• Voltaic123

Voltaic123 Pangalactic Porcupine

[​IMG]
              Gif with updated tilesheet! I will try changing the opacity in a second. Ill also get around to making it match with the seasons for the map recolor I have, probably tomorrow
              (Sidenote, I think putting a dark patch of water, like I did there, really helps with the look. Otherwise the pond looks a little shallow and you have to question where the water is all going...)
              [​IMG]
              I added some very slight opacity, probably like 95%? I really like it that way actually

xLast, Maleha and Noroxus like this.
              • Maleha

95% looks nice! I was a bit concerned that the opacity made it lose a bit of its vibrancy, but looks great indeed. I'll make some cliff tiles for underneath and start working on vanilla seasonals. Should be done in a few hours so you'll have a final sheet to work on for the recolour. It's Eemie's, right? Might check with her if it's okay to use her palette. :3

• Maleha

Okay. I feel a bit contrite about hijacking this topic like I did, but I am also kind of proud of my end result and I hope that others will find good use for it. :catface:
                  Tested it in all seasons and I like how it turned out. To adjust for the cliff face beneath the water I added some of the darker water back in at the top so no rock sticks out, and I shortened the white spray by 1 line of pixels at the top, because I felt they looked a little odd in some of the frames. Again, I can only give stills, but I hope they give a good impression of the colour scheme. Personally, I am happy with the state it is in now and I don't think I should tweak it more (otherwise I'll never stop). Thank you all for your help and constructive criticism, it came out like this with your input and as such I don't think I should claim credit really. Anyone can use it, so long as you keep it free and accessible to people. :)
                  [​IMG]
                  The zip has both png and xnb files if you unpack. As always, xnb go to the Content folder and also Maps. Pngs are for easy editing and accessing in tIDE. The way I go about it is that I place the waterfall tiles into the Front layer to benefit from the slight transparency, cliff face into Building, the grass transition tiles into Back and I have water tiles in the Back layer under the cliff tiles. Enjoy~

Edit: After excessive staring I figured out I accidentally elongated 1 line of pixels in the summer sheet. Fixed and reuploaded (both png and xnb should be correct now. Cannot be bothered to change the gif, so just keep in mind if something feels off there, it has been noted and fixed.)

Attached Files:

• eemie

eemie Hard-To-Destroy Reptile

Wow this is looking fantastic!! Very excited for this!

Maleha likes this.
                    • Noroxus

Noroxus Void-Bound Voyager

This looks really good :eek:

Maleha likes this.
                      • HopeWasHere

HopeWasHere Existential Complex

This is great! I'm really excited to use this :) Do you happen to have one that works with the "Just a new map recolor" mod? http://www.nexusmods.com/stardewvalley/mods/599/? There were a few gifs here that used that mod, so I wasn't sure if it was part of this or not

• Maleha

I believe Voltaic wanted to sort that out. Eemie's given her approval so give him a little time. I'm busy listening to someone ranting about his team not winning a major. Luckily he loves water features so I created the perfect distraction :rofl:

• Voltaic123

Whew that took longer than I thought it would. (Though 98% of that time was remaking my maps' waterfall to fit the new tilesheet... Damn animating each tile is a pain) I did test it in every season, and it matched close enough to my liking, let me know if you see any blinding errors.
                            @HopeWasHere since you asked about it :D

• GlassArrow

GlassArrow Orbital Explorer

You did not hijack the topic at all. You did a great job on it! I haven't had the time to finish my waterfall and I also got distracted with a mod that I am working on for stardew. You just saved me a lot of time. Thanks!

Maleha likes this.
                              • Karmylla

Karmylla Space Kumquat

Holy molly, this looks so good! Great job everyone!

• Aristatide

Aristatide Tentacle Wrangler

Hope's given us what I think is the first mod to use this: Hope's Secret Springs Cave.

I have, err, hope that this shall be one of only many. (I love waterfalls. There's a reason I've staked out this thread.)

HopeWasHere likes this.
                                  • Voltaic123

farm.png If anyone wants it, im polishing my custom foraging map, and it uses the waterfalls. I could upload it if there's interest.

HopeWasHere and Xuomi like this.
                                    • xLast

xLast Void-Bound Voyager

The water goes the opposite of the falls, lol

Last edited: May 13, 2017
                                      • Entoarox

Entoarox Oxygen Tank

That is a behaviour of SDV, nothing us players can do about it.

• GlassArrow

GlassArrow Orbital Explorer

Could we make our own water tiles, but not label them as water? That way that effect isn't present, right? Fishing might be a problem though...