1. If you're looking for help-related things (for example, the key rebinding tutorial), please check the FAQ and Q&A forum! A lot of the stickies from this forum have been moved there to clean up space.
    Dismiss Notice

Casual or Survival?

Discussion in 'Starbound Discussion' started by dullreverie, May 13, 2017.

?

Casual, Survival or Hardcore?

1. Casual

2. Survival

3. Hardcore

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. dullreverie

dullreverie Void-Bound Voyager

What difficulty do you all play on? I always have a difficulty picking. I usually go survival but my character just always seems so hungry, and casual just feels like cheating to me.

2. Jonesy

Jonesy Sarif's Attack Kangaroo Forum Moderator

I just stick to casual, since I'm mostly in it for building and exploration. Dropping items upon death and being unable to teleport underground just sound like annoyances.

Tamorr and Yoseiri like this.
  3. Iris Blanche

Iris Blanche Pudding Paradox Forum Moderator

Mostly survival. But also hardcore if i feel like to try x) If you feel like getting hungry too quickly i'd recommend either the mod slower hunger or foodstack. ^-^

~ Iris ~

4. dullreverie

dullreverie Void-Bound Voyager

Ah thank you, I'll check those two out.

5. Tamorr

Tamorr Supernova

Casual usually, like jonesy mentions; I as well am more on the building side of things. Exploring & building. Although am tempted to put in the hunger mod to add hunger to casual. Haven't yet, but is something I might do in the future. :nuruhappy:

Yoseiri and dullreverie like this.
  6. Pangaea

Pangaea Forum Moderator

Casual because the, uh, particulars of other modes don't interest me. However, I'll occasionally play other games (like Diablo) in hardcore mode just to push myself. So it's only a matter of time with Starbound.

dullreverie likes this.
  7. PyreStarite

PyreStarite Space Kumquat

Survival because casual is too easy but hardcore breaks hearts.

8. M_Sipher

M_Sipher Oxygen Tank

I'm in this for the building, and I don't want some egg timer barking at me to perform some Pavlovian response in the middle of sorting how to best make the current project look its best. So Casual.

9. DukeOfRiven

DukeOfRiven Giant Laser Beams

Casual. I'm not 15 anymore and don't have the time or the patience for the needless busywork that is drop or lose items on death. It makes the game more challenging only in the sense that it pads things out.

10. PyreStarite

Hunger makes things more interesting for me and I don't want to be tempted by the idea of suicide just to "teleport" back to base with my items.

11. ComatosePhoenix

ComatosePhoenix Phantasmal Quasar

Survival, I have a few issues with hardcore, mainly you start out REALLY slow when building from scratch. The speed bump you get from dieing in survival is more comfortable and encourages me to build things practically as I go, build well illuminated and constructed mines instead of just hell-o-vator to bottom level.

12. PyreStarite

I liked digging a straight hole down, however, and using the spike ball to climb back out, or placing platforms all the way up. Hardcore makes you play slow and methodical and die anyways. Casual is easy mode and Survival is if you want more challenge without the pains of Hardcore. I guess it depends on what you want. If you want no item drop on death then play casual. If you want no hunger but item drop then there is the no survival hunger mod. If you want hunger and no item drop then there is the casual hunger mod. You have options.

13. Lintton

Lintton Guest

Survival. bottling up the experience in one objective is what ruined terraria for me, with survival I need to take diligence in multiple aspects of game play, how to grow food, what ingrediant to farm to prepare the dishes so I can go about the universe. And build /fight/explore

14. DraikNova

DraikNova Spaceman Spiff

Survival, I like being able to get more than one food's effects at a time. With an actual hunger bar, I can have both the light status effect from alien fruit juice and ultimate juice's buffs at the same time.

15. ForumZap

ForumZap Astral Cartographer

Definitely Survival, if not Hardcore. As you stated, Casual just feels like cheating. I like the aspect of losing hunger/items, it makes the game more fun and challenging. As for Hardcore, I sometimes play it, however I generally make my characters Survival.

Last edited: May 14, 2017
  16. Littleman88

Littleman88 Big Damn Hero

I used to play on hardcore. Then I decided after jotting down my coordinates and literally storing everything in some planet side stockpile, playing ultra safe and cautious by digging holes and never exposing myself to danger was kind of defeating the point of it all, especially as I'd just throw another character at the location and pick up where the last one left off if I actually died. Might as well have played on Survival. Ooh, my character died... basically lost the ship I never upgraded because I feared I'd die. This was before One needed crew to upgrade of course, so an absurd amount of upgrade modules were required and the completion off mundane tasks I'd rather not repeat dozens of times on top of that.

I'll give hardcore another go sometime, but I think it will just be a novelty thing for one character only. It might be so much more awesome if a hardcore character dieing left their craft a derelict (abandoned... or otherwise) somewhere in the system I left it. I'd be comfortable with upgrading and decorating it then. Treating my own ship like a dungeon with a treasure trove inside could be pretty fun. Matter of fact, I think hardcore could be made more fun if there was something of my last character for my new character to explore, besides whatever stockpile I hastily built on a garden world somewhere.

Survival and hardcore definitely change my mind set, but they don't really add to the game experience for me in any positive way.

Last edited: May 14, 2017
    jvm222 and ComatosePhoenix like this.
  17. ComatosePhoenix

ComatosePhoenix Phantasmal Quasar

I actually made a suggestion for that exact mechanic some time ago. http://community.playstarbound.com/threads/bones-files-and-permadeath.126147/
    Maybe with space actually being a space to explore and have interactive components instead of a souped-up stage select this feature will appear.

18. PyreStarite

Maybe they could introduce a feature for Hardcore where when a char dies, your next one receives a letter at the Outpost saying...
    "We regret to inform you that your associate "Pancakelover2003" has recently perished and you are on their will to receive the inheritance (Either in pixel worth or inherit items)."

19. LilyV3

LilyV3 Master Astronaut

All, Hardcore when I feel like wanting to see how far I can come. casual mostly when palying on online servers, i can't afford to die a stpud death because of servers causing laggs or dropping to detah in unlaoded areas (sad we don'T have a casual with hunger emchanics). otherwise just suvival because it feels most like it should be.

20. Eternal_500

Eternal_500 Void-Bound Voyager

I usually play in survival mode, I like to explore and the need to eat keeps me on my toes, with the risk of losing things on death forcing me to plan really hard for long caving expeditions.