Modding Help Running animations

Discussion in 'Starbound Modding' started by Xcape, May 10, 2017.

1. Xcape

Xcape Space Hobo

I'd like to create different animations for running backward and forward
    What should i do?

2. MetaFace

MetaFace Guest

In order to change the animations you have to change the player sprite sheet, but you'd have to change every single one for each race. I've tried manipulating starbound's player before, but the player itself is hard coded.

3. lazarus78

lazarus78 The Waste of Time

Not just every race, but every piece of clothing and armor.

MetaFace likes this.
  4. IHart

IHart Scruffy Nerf-Herder

alternatively you can change the run frame cycle in the humanoid file requiring only a couple of lines of patching, but you would be limited to existing frames.

5. Xcape

Xcape Space Hobo

Shouldn't i create another movement style, this looks like i'm replacing the running animation, i wanna create a different animation for backwards running (walking too).
    I've found the .frames file where it says which cell in the sprite sheet stands for what movement frame and where i can edit how big is one cell + how much cells there are

6. Xcape

Xcape Space Hobo

I can see the frames "run.1", "run.2" etc
    I wanna see "brun.1", "brun.2" etc (backwards run) in that code too so they have different animations.
    Where does it say what is run.1 or run.2?
    I wanna create brun.1 and brun.2 if it's possible

{
    "frameGrid" : {
    "size" : [43, 43],
    "dimensions" : [9, 6],

"names" : [
    [ null, "idle.1", "idle.2", "idle.3", "idle.4", "idle.5", "sit.1", null, "duck.1" ],
    [ null, "walk.1", "walk.2", "walk.3", "walk.4", "walk.5", "walk.6", "walk.7", "walk.8" ],
    [ null, "run.1", "run.2", "run.3", "run.4", "run.5", "run.6", "run.7", "run.8" ],
    [ null, "jump.1", "jump.2", "jump.3", "jump.4", "fall.1", "fall.2", "fall.3", "fall.4" ],
    [ null, "climb.1", "climb.2", "climb.3", "climb.4", "climb.5", "climb.6", "climb.7", "climb.8" ],
    [ null, "swimIdle.1", null, null, "swim.1", "swim.2", "swim.3", "swim.4" ]
    ]
    },
    "aliases" : {
    "swimIdle.2" : "swimIdle.1",
    "swim.5" : "swimIdle.1",
    "swim.6" : "swimIdle.1",
    "swim.7" : "swimIdle.1",
    "lay.1" : "run.8"
    }
    }

7. Nexus Of Chaos

Nexus Of Chaos Parsec Taste Tester

to make the brun (and assumingly bwalk) animation sets, you will need to expand the animation set by 2 tiles down or some total of 16+ tiles. the animation png would hav 2 more rows, using my first example, and the frames file would look somewhat like this (bold italics is new):

{
    "frameGrid" : {
    "size" : [43, 43],
    "dimensions" : [9, 8],

"names" : [
    [ null, "idle.1", "idle.2", "idle.3", "idle.4", "idle.5", "sit.1", null, "duck.1" ],
    [ null, "walk.1", "walk.2", "walk.3", "walk.4", "walk.5", "walk.6", "walk.7", "walk.8" ],
    [ null, "bwalk.1", "bwalk.2", "bwalk.3", "bwalk.4", "bwalk.5", "bwalk.6", "bwalk.7", "bwalk.8" ],
    [ null, "run.1", "run.2", "run.3", "run.4", "run.5", "run.6", "run.7", "run.8" ],
    [ null, "brun.1", "brun.2", "brun.3", "brun.4", "brun.5", "brun.6", "brun.7", "brun.8" ],
    [ null, "jump.1", "jump.2", "jump.3", "jump.4", "fall.1", "fall.2", "fall.3", "fall.4" ],
    [ null, "climb.1", "climb.2", "climb.3", "climb.4", "climb.5", "climb.6", "climb.7", "climb.8" ],
    [ null, "swimIdle.1", null, null, "swim.1", "swim.2", "swim.3", "swim.4" ]
    ]
    },
    "aliases" : {
    "swimIdle.2" : "swimIdle.1",
    "swim.5" : "swimIdle.1",
    "swim.6" : "swimIdle.1",
    "swim.7" : "swimIdle.1",
    "lay.1" : "run.8"
    }
    }

notice that the new frames have to line up with their png in relation to the respective old ones

8. Xcape

Xcape Space Hobo

I already know that i can create extra rows, but how does the game know what to do with these rows?

9. IHart

IHart Scruffy Nerf-Herder

ah, you are looking for the frames file. the frames file defines what part of image are called what.

10. Xcape

Xcape Space Hobo

No, i know what the .frames file is and what to do with it. Look, the game does not know what is "brun.1" or "brun.2". Where do i teach the game what is "brun.1" and "brun.2".
    Is that in the Scripts folder?