Modding Discussion Choose a ship on startup

Discussion in 'Starbound Modding' started by draiza, May 11, 2017.

1. draiza

draiza Big Damn Hero

Hello, I think not only I interested in choosing different ships on starting your character. I am not strong in coding and I want to ask is there any way to create a mod that will let chose your ship when creating your character. I want to make a mod with lots of new ships that you can chose for the same character. For example 3 novakid ships. It will look like this: starbound/ships/novakid/"new ship folder" instead of old ship files. For example: starbound/ships/novakid/novakidclassicalship/"ship files"

Last edited: May 11, 2017
  2. The | Suit

The | Suit Agent S. Forum Moderator

It isn't possible.
    I created an old tutorial long time back showing how to change ships in game as a proof of concept, but that is about as much is possible.

3. draiza

draiza Big Damn Hero

There is no impossible things. I only wanted to know will starbound let do it without breacking it's mod platform base.

4. draiza

draiza Big Damn Hero

And can you give a link to your tutorial? I think it will help me.

5. The | Suit

Tutorial probably got lost after the server wipe a few years ago.

But simply put there are 8 tiers for ships.
    The upgrade for ships must go in a positive order, but can go in sequential order for any amount.

Which means you can't go from a Tier 4 ship to a tier 3 ship. But you can go from Tier 3 to 10.

With that said I made the starting ships Tier 1 \ 2 \ 3 \4 \5 \ 6 .

Apex Ships Tier 7 - 15. Hyotyl Ships from 16 - 24, Novakid Ships from 25 - 33. etc.
    The person then bought which model ship they wanted from the vendor and it went from there.

The problem is you can't switch the ship later to a previous design because of the mandatory positive upgrade system.
    The good point is you can choose any ship you want though.

6. draiza

draiza Big Damn Hero

Geniously! I am so sad that the tutorial lost. And what about if I try to use this ship chabger if I already upgraded my ship to original tier 10?

7. draiza

draiza Big Damn Hero

Can you have apex tier 15 and change it with ship changer to tier 16 (hylotl tier 1)?

8. draiza

draiza Big Damn Hero

So, I understood that you have a character with 56 tiers. You can change your ship when it's classical tier is 1. But what about upgrading? Sorry for so many questions.

9. The | Suit

Yes - as long as the follows a positive order you can change to any ship.
    Only the ship Tier number you set matters.

10. bk3k

bk3k Oxygen Tank

I do wish the update system wasn't quite so rigid on that front. A lot more things could be possible if not for the enforced order of upgrades.

Such as modular ship part swaps. Well that might be possible in a more difficult fashion by making "micro-dungeons" that are ship sections. In other words... Abandoning the upgrade system and making a new one.

Actually... There are impossible things because we're working within the limitations of a base game engine. Many things are hard coded and totally inaccessible to modders.

You can get around many things -sometimes that's easier than other times - but not everything.

The | Suit likes this.
  11. draiza

draiza Big Damn Hero

But if you already have big ship (for example tier 15) and change it for example to tier 16 will you lose your objects on ship?

12. draiza

draiza Big Damn Hero

What about changing licenses depending on ship tier?

13. bk3k

bk3k Oxygen Tank

I don't quite understand what you're asking here.

This needs more than a simple yes/no answer. Consider the objects falls into 1 of 3 categories
    1. Objects the player placed.
    2. Objects placed per the blockImage for which
    Code:
    "objectResidual" : true
    is set in the blockKey.
    3. Objects placed per the blockImage but are not set to be residual.

Can you loose them?

1. No. Except yes if they loose their anchor point, but then you may be able to pick them up... if they landed somewhere you could retrieve them from.
    2. Same as #1
    3. Yes. But the new blockImage may or may not contain that same object so it may be irrelevant.

In any case, do pay attention to "objectResidual", "foregroundResidual", and "backgroundResidual" for this reason. Lacking those set to true, you will need to replace things every tier. If not replaced, what was there will be gone.

However when set, you can't replace what was there. The new things can't be placed because something will already be there. Of course you can add a foreground where a residual background is already present. Only a new background can't be swapped in this case.

14. draiza

draiza Big Damn Hero

For example we have changed our ship from tier 15 to tier 16, what is about next upgrades, you must take special sparrow etc. licenses to upgrade ship to tier 17 except of tier 2.

15. bk3k

bk3k Oxygen Tank

You can hand out licenses through player script hooking(the crew count check runs on the player companion scripts), or through quests. So one way or another, you can utilize conditions to control what's available.

But in either case doing that would involve learning more about those subjects. You'd want to study up on the vanilla assets to see what they're doing. Besides the companion scripts, look at the vendor for the black market upgrades. What they offer is conditional as well. The best control though is offered by LUA scripts.

And yes, once you've upgraded to 16, there is no going back to 2. Only 17+.

You can skip tiers, but never go backwards. Of course that's unfortunate as it cuts the possibility of reversible and lateral upgrades. If it wasn't so stiff, you might have an "upgrade" (called whatever you want in game) that changes your background(or deletes it entirely). Or you could change the PNG files without changing content at all, etc. Lots of good things that are far less practical because the tiers only go one way.