The 5th Candle Challenge

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by waffelbro, May 8, 2017.

Tags:
  1. waffelbro

waffelbro Void-Bound Voyager

Looking for a challenge that encompasses all parts of the game and isn't exclusive to just one aspect?

The 5th Candle is the perfect challenge that requires you to engage the whole game. The goal is to collect all 21 possible "grandpa" points after one year. I am doing a series documenting my journey completing this challenge with edited and sped up game play over a mix of informative and entertaining commentary.

The finale reveals how we did, and reflects on the challenge.

What's the fastest anyone has completed the Museum?

Last edited: May 30, 2017
    • ShneekeyTheLost

ShneekeyTheLost Master Astronaut

That is going to involve every single artifact, every single fish, and ship every item. It... would take phenomenal luck to achieve all this by the end of your second year.

The 1m is easy, the skills are not hard, the relationships should be a breeze, with Marriage a natural consequence thereof, and the community center should be done well in time. Upgrading your house would be trivial for your second year. Honestly, most of these are year one challenges for me.

But the every artifact, every fish, and ship every item? Those are going to be the problems. The artifacts are going to be RNG-dependent, you have no control over being able to complete this or not, and will be the most likely candidate for causing you to fail this challenge. Fish shouldn't be too difficult, especially not in year 2. A bit time consuming, perhaps, and consulting charts to ensure that you are in the right place at the right time with the right atmospheric conditions to catch the fish you are missing maybe, but not especially difficult. Ship one of every item would be more difficult, because that involves a lot of cooking and getting obscure recipes. Granted, most of those recipes you would naturally get as you are getting your relationships up or watching the cooking show, but it would require effectively getting the whole town up over 6 hearts to get them all. Still not impossible, you'd just need a coop and a barn to churn out gifts for the whole town.

Personally, I'd call it a 'win' if you do everything but the artifacts.

What makes this challenge possible is that you have until the end of your second year to do it. Doing most of that in your first year would be significantly more challenging. In fact, it would probably make the shipping task impossible because of all the things you can't get until the second year, barring phenomenal luck with the cart vendor. Doing a year one version would probably be 'do everything but the artifacts (but still need the sewer key) and the shipping of all items'. This means you NEED the Legend in your first spring, which means spamming your fishing and hoping you get a rainy day after you hit 10 fishing while still in spring. This is not... impossible, but definitely difficult. And hey, doing that means getting the rest of the fish is much easier because you already have 10 fishing.

• La Chair

La Chair Big Damn Hero

I've achieved 20 points a few times, but getting every artifact by year two requires an incredible amount of luck as it is totally RNG dependent.

Obtaining all of them is rather rare, based on what I have read on this forum and the Steam Forum. I have a boatload of hours with the game and I think I have only completed it 4 or 5 times and only once by the end of year three.

Seriously to get 20 points by the end of winter, year 2, you really have to be pushing hard, Getting 8 hearts with ten people and combat up to level 10 is a tough one and requires extremely good time management.

To me, getting all 30 Gold Stars by the end of year three is a goal that encompasses the while game as it includes cooking every item and constructing every item.

Good luck on your quest. Keep us updated on your progress.

• blind3rdeye

blind3rdeye Big Damn Hero

I've recently been power-playing through the game. (This is my third playthrough, although I quit my second pretty early on.)

Based on my experience, it's definitely possible to ship every item, catch every fish, and max every relationship (except Kent) in the first year if you plan carefully and powerplay through the whole year. The only problem is garlic and red cabbage... those are the only two items that you must rely on luck for. You have to get them from the travelling cart. I haven't done the full probability calculations, but based on the wiki numbers I estimate the chance of getting both of them to be around 40% if you check the cart twice every week for the whole year.

In any case, if you going for two year, the cart doesn't matter any more. Two years is a good fair challenge. You don't have to get every detail just right, and you don't have to rely on luck, but it still requires good solid thinking and execution.

I'm on my second year now. I didn't get the red cabbage in the first year; but I did manage to max out almost every relationship. I'm confident they'll all be maxed by the end of the second. (Kent will be the only one I'll have to focus on.) I'm also going to craft every item; and cook every meal if I can. As for completing the museum collection... I'll try, but I don't have high hopes!

• Stryder87

Stryder87 Giant Laser Beams

I find the "Ship 15 of ever item" one to be tough as there is no visual tracking ability for it like there is for the fishing or cooking achievements. The crafting every item one doesn'thave a visual tracker either, but at least you can just do them a row at a time and just write it down.

Actually... I suppose you could write down the shipped items, but 15 of every one? Not going to be easy.

• La Chair

La Chair Big Damn Hero

Stryder87, if you open up your inventory and click on the Collections tab you will see the first screen which is items shipped. Just hover the the cursor over the item and it will show how many you have shipped. Remember, there are two achievements for this. Ship one of every item and ship 15 of each Crop. (Edit: I forgot there is a third one, ship 300 of one item. Cranberries take care of this.)

The latter only requires crops that you plant and harvest. (See the Wiki under Crops) Flowers are not included in this achievement but grapes, coffee beans and barley are.

• Stryder87

Ahhhh.... I thought it was 15 of everything. I was trying to figure out how I was going to make 15 gem makers and just wave goodbye to them! Crops only... suddenly this seems much more obtainable! haha

300 of one crop... yeah, cranberries will definitely fill that easily. So would blueberries... and even hops from my greenhouse... :)

• ShneekeyTheLost

Please tell me you don't sell raw hops... #PowerGamerHorror :nurutease:

• Stryder87

Ok, I won't tell you. But if I did, it would be simply because I don't have enough casks to keep up with my production of hops and ancient fruit.
                    Yeah, if I was selling raw hops, it would hurt my soul every time... but it wouldn't be like I wasn't at full pale ale production already.

Hypothetically speaking of course... :catxD:

• nevyn21

nevyn21 Cosmic Narwhal

Gold star hops are actually some pretty good dungeoning food too. :D

• ShneekeyTheLost

Behold, the power of gold-star cheese... 225 energy and 101 health, and cows crank 'em out daily.

Another1Up likes this.
                        • nevyn21

nevyn21 Cosmic Narwhal

Cheese is for pepper poppers. I usually only keep two cows but they go great with a few pepper plants.

• waffelbro

Hey! I am soo glad this is stirring up some discussion! Thank you to everyone involved!

To anyone interested about the challenge I am almost entering winter I have basically everything on track to completion except the garlic and artichoke (that I have to get from gypsy or mixed seeds!) I was able to get a red cabbage from her already. I am currently only missing 5 or so artifacts where I can literally spend the whole month dedicated to searching for those last few - YES there is some RNG but I have set myself up to be able to maximize my time to search for those specific artifacts. There is certainly a chance we DON't get it, but come with me on my journey. I'll be posting a new video tonight or tomorrow of the end of fall.

It has been an amazing fun/interesting challenge so far- I really encourage everyone to try to do it, because I'd love to see your strategies and ways you handle different trials! I found myself with a couple big lucky occurrences(early forest sword.ancient seed rare artifacts, rain/good luck day string), but I also made TONS of mistakes! Please check the series out :)

ChaosAzeroth and blind3rdeye like this.
                            • La Chair

La Chair Big Damn Hero

Waffelbro, I tried your challenge and came up short. I ended up with 20 points and only 25 gold stars. I need two mushrooms and two artifacts.

I chose the hilltop farm as I find it very challenging. After Spring year 1, I knew I was in trouble with RNG. There are some save files where RNG just says "Thou Shalt Suck" and this was one of them. Still, rather than aborting and starting again I slogged on.

I made it to level 90 of the mines with the Pirates Cutlass as I never found Iron Edge. Also I was unable to cook every meal and construct every item as I found 1 Morel Mushroom on day 2 of spring and then the game got amnesia they existed. The Traveling cart was totally worthless all game, as I never needed tulips, cave carrots or sandheads.

I think the knowledge that RNG was my sworn enemy was very helpful as I really utilized every minute of the day. Monetarily I am behind the 8 ball as I have not even earned 3mil, so 7mil in one year will be tough, remember I am on the Hilltop and there is not a lot of arable land.

But I only have to find two mushrooms, the scapula and the rib so I will have time to focus on farming.

Thanks for suggesting this, It did liven up the game for me.

• waffelbro

@La Chair Hey man! I think we had a bit of a communication breakdown. The challenge only called for the grandpa points (which doesn't include cooking every meal or crafting every item) I am actually THOROUGHLY shocked you weren't able to find more than 1 Morel? That doesn't make any sense...Also you only needed 1 million not 10. The artifacts are super hard but honestly only 2 left after 1 year is insanely good, I'm cruising through the 1st winter with only 4 artifacts left, and I'm sure I'll be in your boat with around 2 left or so.

were you using any mods? There are many many really great ones out there that I recommend highly!

You can check more details out here :)

RTGoat Longevity 5th Candle coming soon!

• Jack Of Shades

Jack Of Shades Pangalactic Porcupine

That's kind of an issue with some of these challenges. I notice folks mentioning mods. Well, unfortunately, some of us can't use mods. I play on console so I'm always playing the original retail with no mods. Always realize, not everyone is playing this on pc. ;)

• waffelbro

@Jack Of Shades Hey brother! The 5th Candle Challenge doesn't require any mods! The ones I use are time savers/UI enhancements. In my series I discuss which mods I use and I specifically discuss not using mods that alter the integrity of the game. Let me know if you want to talk strategy!

• waffelbro

Episode #8 just came out and Ep. 9 and 10 I promise will be out this week! Please come check it out and let me know what you think : ) Thanks!

• Another1Up

Another1Up Seal Broken

I really like the idea of this challenge, and personally I think two years is the perfect time frame! Good luck!

• La Chair

La Chair Big Damn Hero

I'm not surprised with the Morel issue. Occasionally RNG gets amnesia that certain forage items are supposed to exist. As for mods, I run strictly vanilla. I'm just lazy that way.

ChaosAzeroth likes this.