Modding Discussion Avali 1.0 Reboot Discussion

Discussion in 'Starbound Modding' started by RyuujinZERO, Aug 11, 2016.

1. Sock of Retribution

Sock of Retribution Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Judging from one of the images on the original post, http://community.playstarbound.com/resources/avali-race-mod.998/ that actually was the original ship and not added by Triage. Its design is rather obviously non-canon.

There are some colors (specifically primary plumage colors) which he heavily implied neither males nor females would have, so not a technical limitation. I'm too lazy to find the exact post where he said it, though.

EDIT: So I did find the in-game ship labelled as prototype dropship art on the wiki, so it probably actually is canon: my mistake. It's just that it does look a fair bit different in layout than the other ship concept art he's done, and the way it upgrades is not what I would call canon.

I'm pretty sure the canon has changed a bit when it comes to technology: the newer frigate art looks quite different from the old art of exploration ships and dropships and what not. It could just be ship class difference, but the overall external and even cockpit aesthetic seems altered as well.

Last edited: May 11, 2017
  2. Scival

Scival Oxygen Tank

That trashy upgrade was added as part of triage, silly. Remember ships didn't upgrade when the original mod was made.
    Or you could look at it with your fancy neural augment and have a systematically orange holographic indicator of which is which.
    Y'know. That technology they got from their malefactors.

Seriously though, how much time did the Illuminate / processing power did the Oracle AI use to make sure every display was orange by default? That's some high-level commitment right there.

3. Sock of Retribution

I was not actually aware ship upgrades didn't exist in beta: I never played it myself.

Nobody confirmed the malefactors had that sort of tech. The avali could very well have developed it on their own, using tech they did get from the malefactors.

Damn, it's so hard to discuss this stuff without confirmation from Ryuu. We're getting so few likes too cuz this thread is deserted when he's not around, a-and we'll have to restate all these questions if he comes back and~ ;-; *avali kit starts to break down*

4. Scival

Scival Oxygen Tank

Obviously the malefactors didn't use Nexus augments, but they must have had some kind of neural implants for the avali to develop that kind of technology in the first place.

5. YellowDemonHurlr

YellowDemonHurlr Ketchup Robot

Not necessarily. There's no reason to believe that the avali couldn't develop augments and AR technology on their own once they reached a sufficient tech level.

Sock of Retribution likes this.
  6. IFailAtGaming

IFailAtGaming Scruffy Nerf-Herder

aww c'mon, that's half the fun, no word of god means we gotta work with what evidence and facts we have and not rely on what ryuujiin (I'll never spell that right) says. Plus, do you think the elder scrolls lore community is just waiting for kirkbride to tell them what's going on? Or the Fallen London just waiting for Alexis Kennedy to tell them what's beyond the horizon, or what is going on with the bazaar? No, they aren't. cause most of the fun is figuring these things out themselves, andcombining their knowledge with other's to reach the correct conclusion. It seems hard, and it is harder, but it's much more rewarding.

7. Scival

Scival Oxygen Tank

When it's intended that way, sure, it's fun. But in this particular case we have a bunch of puzzle pieces from different images ( which are all abstract art, too ) and we're trying to put them together in one rectangular jigsaw puzzle and failing miserably.

8. Sock of Retribution

Precisely. This isn't exactly supposed to be happening. I'm not really sure why more people aren't worried about Ryuu not posting since October and not on the forums since November.

IFailAtGaming likes this.
  9. IFailAtGaming

it is a bit worrying, through some, uh, stalking, i can say he seems to be a bit caught up in politics

10. Sock of Retribution

I'm curious. Where did you get such info?

11. IFailAtGaming

reddit, by caught up, i don't mean he's doing political stuff, just talking about politics, but if that would take up all of his time i can't say, plus, it's not unlikely he has a job, that tends to make people have a decent bit less spare time

12. Scival

Scival Oxygen Tank

13. IFailAtGaming

i'm pretty sure it isn't, and i'm not going to reveal what i believe his actual account is cause i feel like enough of an asshole already, but i can say that there are like 15 variations on that one name

14. YellowDemonHurlr

I saw him respond to a question on the Avali wiki a few days ago, but I suggest you just let him be. I think the avali fanbase grates on him sometimes. Hand mod development over to Triage again, since it was his intention that Triage keep going instead of stopping like it did when he announced the reboot.

15. Scival

Scival Oxygen Tank

There isn't really anything to add other than more non-canon silly fun items, hardly implementable fantasies and furniture items that look like they're from factories in desperate need of some QC.
    Clearly whoever you're talking about is just another variation of that name, then!

IFailAtGaming likes this.
  16. YellowDemonHurlr

There's balancing issues (like the block recipes I updated that were never added, as far as I know), getting villages to spawn more frequently than once in every billion planets, a ship pet, and Rhuujin has posted enough WIPs that Triage could easily add material in that style (easily as in there's clear reference material, not as in it's not a lot of work). I might tackle a custom ship in the new style myself eventually for use in my machinima. And did they add dyeable furniture, yet? The are it in the files, it's just not programmed in.

In fact, I think I'll go over there and ask them.

17. TR-219

TR-219 Subatomic Cosmonaut

Pretty sure the recipes have been altered, from my testing. Only problem is, some recipies haven't changed yet, and the nanolaythe still cannot make tungsten blocks

18. Sock of Retribution

That isn't a sufficient excuse for his absence. Even if he's shy (which he does seem to be, I can relate) and doesn't want to tell us how much of a nuisance we might be (myself not really included because he's never even seen me most likely), it's not ok under any circumstances for him to leave the whole community in the dark like this without a single update. Not to mention he's gone so far over his estimated mod development schedule, it's ridiculous. I get it, real life can get in the way, like it is for me now: again, still not a sufficient excuse.

19. YellowDemonHurlr

I understand your frustration, but Ryuujin has no formal obligation to work on the mod. It's just a hobby he decided to share with us. While it's not very considerate to leave us without even a word of "I've lost interest in this project and won't be returning to it," there's nothing that says he has to do that and it's counterproductive to get angry at him or track him down and demand answers. Such actions will just discourage him further. The chances of him picking this up again are better if nobody goes and alienates him.

And if he doesn't pick it up again, he's showed off things well enough that the Triage team (or others) can probably replicate them.

Also keep in mind that projects of this scale can be downright soul-sucking. I don't make big mods like this, but my machinima involves work that's so mind-numbingly tedious that it's hard to motivate myself to work on it. I'd guess that everybody has at least one project that they started that was going to be huge and epic and they just lost the will to do once they got bogged down in the long, boring, work parts.

IFailAtGaming and TR-219 like this.
  20. Dipdoo

Dipdoo Existential Complex

I have to echo this, particularly about soul-sucking projects.
    I've dropped more projects than I care to count after realizing I wasn't prepared for it after hitting a tougher spot or after feeling drained by repetition. It's a very understandable problem.

Sock of Retribution and TR-219 like this.