1. If you're looking for help-related things (for example, the key rebinding tutorial), please check the FAQ and Q&A forum! A lot of the stickies from this forum have been moved there to clean up space.
    Dismiss Notice

How to move unloadable server files to computer/local save?

Discussion in 'Starbound Discussion' started by raeanana, May 1, 2017.

1. raeanana

raeanana Orbital Explorer

I think there is a way to do this but I don't want to mess anything up.
    I used to play on a server with a few people which is now shut down and I'd like to move my player and possibly planets to my computer/new game save.
    This thread makes it sound like it's possible, although I would keep the files locally and not move them to another server, as I don't have the means to do so...

Is this possible? :(

2. ManaUser

ManaUser Cosmic Narwhal

Normally your character and ship are already stored locally. Have you just tried playing that character in single-player?

For the planets, you might be out of luck. Unless whoever ran the server can give you the appropriate files.

Iris Blanche likes this.
  3. raeanana

Yeah I figured out I could do that after I posted this. But no bookmarks are there. And I don't think the person can do that. I will have to check. Would they just send me the Player and Universe files for my game and I copy them to mine?

4. Iris Blanche

Iris Blanche Pudding Paradox Forum Moderator

Player files are already on your side. But you will need the universe folder from the servers storage folder. You'll have to ask the one who was running the server if he still has the files and if he will send them to you.

In your storage folder you will find 2 folders: player and universe
    The content of the player folder contains all player files on your side (singleplayer and multiplayer)
    The content of the universe folder contains the universe, planets, outpost state and the universe id for bookmarks.

~ Iris ~

5. raeanana

Yeah I figured, thanks!

With that being said, none of my bookmarks were there when I loaded my game on single player. Which means my house and the changes I made to planets are probably gone too..?

6. Iris Blanche

The bookmarks are bound to the universe id which is stored in the universe. Also your planets and stuff is also stored in the universe. In singleplayer you will have another universe unless you override it with the one from the server.

~ Iris ~

7. raeanana

So by "stored in the universe" you mean it's stored in the server?
    So I would definitely have to contact the server owner to get that stuff? (Bookmarks & explored planets)
    Sorry, I don't understand this kind of stuff (obviously) :confused:

8. Iris Blanche

In the player files following is saved:
    • your inventory
    • your quests
    • status effects
    • equipment
    • bookmarks (tied to an universe id)
    • your crew
    • your ship (and everything on it)
    • your statistics for achievements

In the universe files following is saved:
    • the universe id
    • all generated universe chunks
    • all visited planets (with everything on it, buildings and stuff)
    • the outpost progress
    • your position in the universe

I hope this can clarify some things :)

~ Iris ~

9. raeanana

Well if that's the case, it sounds like everything should be there...
    When I logged into single player, everything from "Player" was there except all my bookmarks.
    From "Universe" my position was the same as when I last played and my outpost progress was kept. I am unsure of if it kept my visited planets and buildings. I couldn't check because there were no bookmarks :(
    I did not check at the Captain's Chair yet (which I just remembered the bookmarks save there), but I know there would be some at the Portal which there weren't.
    I will have to check all this when I get home...

10. DraikNova

DraikNova Spaceman Spiff

The universe is stored by the server. That's why your bookmarks aren't saved. Long story short, yeah, you'd have to check whether the server owner still has the universe files; otherwise, you'll only be able to transfer the player and for any structures you want to have back you'll have to find a suitably similar planet and rebuild them. If you're going to rebuild them, I suggest using /admin and /spawnitem: with those two commands, you can get all the blocks and furniture that your old builds had without having to go through the effort needed to reacquire them. All you'd have to do is look up the item name of any block or furniture piece that you can't craft (/admin lets you craft stuff for free, which is nice for building) so you can /spawnitem item name it. The item name, on the wiki, is at the bottom of the page for that item.

raeanana likes this.
  11. raeanana

Well that is silly :c
    I never thought of that! Thank you so much! :)
    That will have to work I guess. So bummed.

Thanks everyone!

12. DraikNova

DraikNova Spaceman Spiff

The reason it works that way is so that in situations where, say, two people want to travel to the same planet, their computers don't have trouble keeping things consistent.