RELEASED Yama's Desert & Sewer Expansions [1.4 ready for testing!]

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by Yamadataiki, Apr 20, 2016.

1. 13akoors

13akoors Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Even more so why I feel the need to fix it. Yama's mod doesn't have much, but it does have potential. To deny it the care it needs feels like I am failing it, and as someone who can do something to fix it, I feel it is my job to do so. That, and people want the mod. Even if it's only 1 person, who am I to deny them.

Give me the weekend, and I'll have a working version. If I have to remake every map Yama made to delete the bug, I will. That may just be my beliefs, or my stupidity, but it's what I'm willing to do.

• Coolwyngs

Coolwyngs Giant Laser Beams

Wow thanks

• 13akoors

After looking over the code, I'm not sure why Yama was having such an issue removing the seasonal issue. It's caused by one of the game's tilesheets being registered as "seasonal" despite it not being seasonal. I know there's a more correct way to fix it, but as of 1: 30 at night I can't remember how, so I just included the offending tilesheet like Ulithium did, but then forced it to Seasonal: False with ALL.

If anyone knows the correct way to fix it, remind me. If not, I'll just leave the extra tilesheet in.

Should have the fix completely done and uploaded tomorrow evening.

• 13akoors

Well, looks like it'll take longer than I thought. The mod decided that all warps were going to crash the game...so I'm gonna have to spend several days investigating why that is.

• Coolwyngs

Still thank you for working on this

• 13akoors

Okay, it took much longer that I thought it would, but it's finally working. There may be a couple bugs left, but I'll fix those later. Here is the official definitely working version.

I have some ideas for adding to the mod, but since Ulithium_Dragon is the one I consider the current author, I won't add anything new without his permission. That said, I did make a few small alterations because they bugged me too much to be left in.

Eventually, I may be able to fix the "raining in the desert" bug, but when I attempted to set the maps as Type: Desert, the game had a stack overflow and crashed, so I might just have to leave that bug in.

All in all, this version works on SV 1.2 and should work on 1.1, too. There is no seasonal error.

Attached Files:

HopeWasHere, Coolwyngs and Acerbicon like this.
              • Coolwyngs

Will you be doing the Sewer Expansions as well.

• 13akoors

Already working on it. Although, I will be changing it a bit to make it compatible with (theoretically) all map mods. It'll take a bit, though

• Coolwyngs

okay that is so cool thank you very much.

• 13akoors

Well, it looks like my plan is actually impossible, so I updated what I could and here it is.

Attached Files:

Coolwyngs likes this.
                      • Coolwyngs

can you go to the Mutant Bug Lair in the Sewer's as well

• 13akoors

If you're referring to BugLand, it should be accessible already. If not, I'm not sure what you mean

• Coolwyngs

It is where you find the Talisman. Where you fight the Mutant Grub's and Mutant Flies. Where you catch the Slimejack fish.

• 13akoors

Yep, that's the place. I've never gone there in game, and the map is named "bugland" for whatever reason.

Its doorway is very much there, and very much blocked by purple barrier

• Coolwyngs

okay thank you

• The Duke of Rockford

The Duke of Rockford Aquatic Astronaut

Great to see new locations/expansion being added. I would suggest, whenever it is possible, adding a new town in Calico Desert. It doesn't need new characters right away but I think it would be nice to see a desert town, perhaps reminiscent of small towns in American West deserts, for the starter.

Assationater and HopeWasHere like this.
                                  • 13akoors

I would greatly agree. If I remember correctly, that was one of Yama's original intentions. Unfortunately, Yama hasn't been around for months, and Ulithium (whom I consider the "current author") is currently taking a break as far as I can tell.

Effectively that would make the task fall to me, since I'm doing upkeep unofficially. The problem is, while I would love to do so, I personally am no good at making custom tilesheets and/or programming custom NPCs. If someone were to build a custom Desert tilesheet with Wild West style buildings and decor and donate it to the cause, I would gladly add a deserted Desert town.

As for custom NPCs....that would take almost a completely separate mod. Again, if someone is donating their time and effort for that, I would gladly accept the help. That said, I personally doubt that amount of work will ever occur, but I would love to be proven wrong. In fact, I challenge anyone to prove me wrong and make the previously mentioned custom tilesheet and NPC mod. Anyone doing so will be credited as a co-author "per defaultum" (title pending)

EDIT: I set up a request post for the tilesheet, should anyone want to keep up on this development. Link here: http://community.playstarbound.com/threads/wild-west-desert.135859/

Last edited: Jul 25, 2017
                                      Acerbicon and HopeWasHere like this.
                                    • Ulithium_Dragon

Ulithium_Dragon Space Kumquat

News towns and new NPCs are insanely difficult to create. This is always the problem when your modding is "unofficial" - there are always tons and tons of limitations.

Frankly I've moved on to trying to make my own stuff using RPG Maker at this point, which unlike modding for SDV doesn't smash my face into a brick wall every 5 seconds with a new annoying-ass limitation on something I cannot actually do... =.=

• 13akoors

Agreed, especially with Ento's mods currently un-updated, and SMAPI being the only modding API, despite needing something more comprehensive (RIP Storm and Farmhand). That said, I like limitations, as it makes me learn more about how the game works and find work-arounds. That said, given the tilesheet, new towns are a piece of cake :)

Knowing that you've more or less moved on, I'll remove you as being considered the current author in my mind, but always remember that the community has open arms if you decide to return. Eventually either Farmhand will be finished, or SMAPI will become Farmhand, and modding will be easier. Until that day, I wish you well.

Also, I'll make sure your temple is kept up to date until your return. :)

Ulithium_Dragon likes this.
                                        • Yamadataiki

Yamadataiki Phantasmal Quasar

I would love to update this with new features for multiplayer, but I'm short on time these days. The desert town with new npcs and new sewer monsters with custom ai are beyond my level of skill, but with help maybe I could get some fruit producing succulents lining the current maps if someones willing to work with me. I really want to add more of a reason to go there than to just look at "what could be". I made this mod not knowing anything about code aside from some scripting I did back when The Elder Scrolls 3 Morrowind was super popular, before oblivion came along and I think I had too many ideas, most of which I assume I'm still unable to do. At the most I would at least like to make this stable enough for exploration in the new multiplayer update, if there does come a day when an official modding api comes out or otherwise I would be happy to attempt to pursue my ideas in the desert and sewer further. Either way, I would like to thank all of you for your interest in this and for keeping the idea alive as long as you have. Stardew Valley has one of the nicest gaming communities I've been apart of and I'm glad to have contributed to it.

Ulithium_Dragon and HopeWasHere like this.