WIP STALLED: UltraFarm Custom Map: Make Suggestions

Discussion in 'Mods' started by JamieMage2005, Apr 25, 2017.

1. JamieMage2005

JamieMage2005 Title Not Found

My goal is to create a large farm with neatly arranged locations for crops, orchards, animals, foraging, fishing, mining, and hardwood gathering. I am OCD and while there are maps out there that provide plenty of space and all of these amenities they all require you to work around the maps little geographical quirks. Don't you hate when you want a perfect grid of fields only to find a hill, pond, river, or other random obstacle? My goal is to avoid this while attempting to maintain as organic a feel as possible.

I would like to get feel for what others want in terms of things like size, layout, and so forth. I will post sketches and such very soon.

• lyscir

lyscir Subatomic Cosmonaut

If I may chime in, for personal taste of maps, I would like to see a river or maybe cliffs kind of divide areas up like an upper cliff for an orchard, maybe a lower area for animals with a river on one side. I do agree that random ponds annoy me, but a few wouldn't hurt. I also wouldn't make it too giant. I know there was one map that was made and it tried to combine the ideas of all the vanilla maps, but felt too large.

• KThxBye910

KThxBye910 Void-Bound Voyager

Perhaps a couple different sizes. A smaller one to maintain more of the original feel, and a big one for those who don't mind it (though with some boulders/stump obstacles for progression's sake.)

It'd be nice to keep some of the "beauty" in, so that it doesn't feel like a grid. I like what Lyscir mentions, with everything divided by cliffs or rivers, or something of the sort, in a way that doesn't interfere with planning.

• JamieMage2005

The first image shows the cleaned and cleared expanded farm area. Note this is just initial edits provide a clean slate to work with. Unfortunate the House, Greenhouse, Shrine, Cave, Warp Point, Spouse Area, and Pet Bowl can't be moved.

The second image shows the beginning of the mining area. I think I will add a small lake for fishing plus trees and decorations to it as well. Once finished ore, gems, and so forth will spawn here though the area they spawn in will be smaller likely 9 X 9 tiles once finished. Note the path to the Mining area is behind the house.

Attached Files:

Ayamabuki and KThxBye910 like this.
          • JamieMage2005

I have created a standard farm plot, which has a 15X15 area for crops, space around the crops for fences, and space around the fences for 1 tile paths. For a total area of 19 X 19 tiles. I want to do the same with barns, coops, sheds, and so forth if possible. Eight of these plots can fit on the standard farm map.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 26, 2017
            • lyscir

So I went into Paint and made a rough outline of what I personally would do with the area, maybe it can give some ideas to you. I really am excited about this and waiting with anticipation to see where it goes.

Attached Files:

• KThxBye910

KThxBye910 Void-Bound Voyager

The map is looking awesome so far!

• JamieMage2005

Thanks a lot for the screenshot! I have similar ideas. I play around more with the editor to get a better feel for things. I want to create something more organic looking, but not dissimilar to what you have there to be honest.

• sumire hoshikawa

sumire hoshikawa Aquatic Astronaut

how to download ultra farm ?

• Ghostly Fox

Ghostly Fox Heliosphere

It's still being developed, so watch this thread and it should update you when it is uploaded.

• JamieMage2005

Hiya, it is still a WIP, but as soon as it is ready I will make it available. I will definitely need a few testers as well due to all the changes.

• JamieMage2005

Latest version of my UltraFarm. Note the grid lines will be removed in the final version they are just a way to make sure that I have the spacing just right. In the upper right is the hilltop mining area ie mini quarry. Around the house is the beginning of a small personal forest for foraging and hardwood. The area around the shrine would make a nice orchard. The area between the farmhouse and greenhouse would be great for your sheds. The oddly shaped areas around the river will be great for animals. There are sixteen neatly arranged plots for crops. The plots are designed for the little Junimo Hits surrounded by 8 Iridium sprinklers. The finished version will also have the same type of overgrowth as the originals so there will be plenty of clearing to do. Thoughts and suggestions are greatly encouraged!

Attached Files:

Ayamabuki likes this.
                          • DreamerDrop

DreamerDrop Scruffy Nerf-Herder

If I can make a suggestion based purely on aesthetics, the forest farm map (in.my opinion) looks a lot nicer with the lush forests surrounding the farm instead of the cliffs.

Having said that, it looks very neatly laid out and I quite like the idea of it.

• lyscir

My thoughts:
                              • Not a big fan of the river right now, just using the spaces that it goes through for animals seems a little small, and the end of it i would go through one of the sides and not through the corner.
                              • Seems like a small space for sheds.

• JamieMage2005

Once the grid lines are removed all the adjacent squares can be used for animals while still leaving 9 full crop squares. I don't use animals as much. To be honest I want to put a forest around the river, but that might mean making the farm wider than it is now.

Btw, I can always make more than one version if this one doesn't fit your play style.

• JamieMage2005

I remade the river to make it an edge for a forested area. The forest on the left with the animal land to the right. Thought this means I have to work on that cliff to make it more organic and the left edge actually forested. This is based off @lyscir suggestions.

Attached Files:

Ayamabuki, KThxBye910 and DreamerDrop like this.
                                  • DreamerDrop

DreamerDrop Scruffy Nerf-Herder

That actually looks very cute.

• Ghostly Fox

Ghostly Fox Heliosphere

Just curious, but have you considered seeing if you can add a swimming hole/hot spring that the player can get access to to use on the farm? Maybe near the waterfall? If you can figure out how to make an additional place with the Basement flag, so people can place extra casks, that might be popular, too.

And this just bothers me a little, but the orchard section is just shy counting vertically to plant four rows of fruit trees- the shrine would get in the way if you tried to squeeze four rows in, as it is now.. It's not a huge deal if you leave it the way it is, but I did want to note it.

• JamieMage2005

I am not committed whole heartly to the current design. I am perfectly willing to adjust section sizes to meet the wishes and needs of those interested even if I have to go over the 99X99 limit I set at the beginning. @Ghostly Fox how big do you want the orchard to be or really anything? I am looking into creating a cave or two one as a extra cellar and another for mining maybe.

• lyscir

I really like the latest design sketch/design, although I would make the river a little bit thicker maybe 3 blocks wide.