REQUEST More Expensive/Smaller Backpack Upgrades

Discussion in 'Mods' started by jaieet, Apr 24, 2017.

1. jaieet

jaieet Intergalactic Tourist

So I've more or less just started playing Stardew Valley, but have managed to grasp the mechanics pretty quick. I ended up raking in like 1-2000g per day by the 15th of spring, which gives me lots and lots of disposable income. MOST is recirculated into more seeds, but at some point I managed to figure out that you're able to interact with the backpack in the store and buy more space.

AWESOME, for sure. Saving me from wasting an hour or two each day on foraging trips is always a bonus!

One problem:

The first upgrade is WAY TOO BIG.

The very moment I bought that backpack upgrade, I noticed a dramatic decline in the game's difficulty.

It got so bad I lost interest in the file, and started again. :p

----
    ----

I've looked around, and don't see many backpack mods. Worse, people are asking for MORE SPACE(?!?). Would it be possible for someone with 0 modding experience to increase the number of rucksack upgrades, REDUCE the amount of space given per each upgrade, and set progressively higher prices for each upgrade?

If so, how would I go about it? Any advise would be greatly appreciated!

• Entoarox

Entoarox Oxygen Tank

I've had a look at the code for you, and here is what I've found:

Good:
      - It is possible to increment by smaller amounts then 1 row and more often
      - It is possible to increase the price of a single upgrade

Bad:
      - This requires some tricks us experienced modders have over time discovered to do, so it is unlikely that someone with no modding experience can manage.
      (Note unlikely rather then impossible, as I myself am proof of tricky stuff being possible for a new modder, as my very first mod *is* the definition of a tricky one!)

• jaieet

Well, it's possible, so that's a start. And doesn't sound like it requires a total RECONSTRUCTION of the game from the ground up.

What kind of 'tricks' would you be referring to, if I may be so bold? Would it be presumptuous of me to ask for something resembling a "For Dummies" walkthrough on how to create my ideal backpack upgrade system? Mayhaps 3 slots per each upgrade, with a 1000-ish gold cost increase per new purchase until the player hits their 8th rucksack upgrade?

In a perfect world, I wouldn't have to create new information referencing 8 new backpacks, and could just tell it to stop increasing prices/inventory by this predefined amount once it hits the 7th upgrade cycle. But this may be utterly ridiculous as a concept (I reiterate: 0 Modding experience)

Essentially, I just wanna get in and out and get the job done, that I may continue playing without flat-out AVOIDING parts of the game or corrupting existing mods. If I HAVE to take a crash course in modding, I might cave and do so, but, well, you get the idea. :p This is a hurdle. I wanna fix the pacing and artificially enjoy my recent Steam Purchase!

---
        Edit:
        Image inserted to tug @ heartstrings. Zoom in on that face. He looks *miserable*! Will YOU be the one to tell him that his life on this nightmare combat farm can only get better? He's supposed to be Victorian and depressed. Not well-adjusted with sufficient storage space???

SadewValley.png

Last edited: Apr 24, 2017
        • Entoarox

Entoarox Oxygen Tank

Let me have a deeper look at some of the involved code and I'll get back to you in a bit ok?

• Entoarox

Entoarox Oxygen Tank

Ok, I've taken a look at the relevant code, and I've got some good news, the only trick that seems to be needed is creating a custom tile action to replace the existing tile action with, all the rest can be relatively easily done after that, as CA's code is simplistic enough for it.

I've even looked through some of the circumstantial code that is relevant to the backpack, and I cant find anything that would inhibit doing this.

Now, just to clarify one thing: Just because I cant *find* something, does not mean there *isn't* anything, it just means that if there *is* something, it is sufficiently difficult to find that a general search of backpack interaction does not expose it.

Still, this is complex enough that I would not recommend you try this yourself unless you are familiar with C# at the least, if not, I recommend asking @RTGOAT as his Longevity mod is in the style of this, and the change needed to make smaller backpacks work is simple enough that it can easily be a config option for people who dont want it.
            If RTGOAT refuses, then make a mention about it, and I will see if I cant publish a small mod for it without to much difficulty.

• jaieet

Okay, I'll take your advice. I'm already using the longevity mod, so it would definitely limit the number of conflicts if it turned out my idea were incorporated - and, really, that's what terrifies me most. Thanks so much, entoarox.