WIP Anthro characters

Discussion in 'Characters' started by Gaveliere, Mar 14, 2016.

?

What would you prefer for the other NPCs?

Poll closed Apr 17, 2016.
  1. Single species for families

46.2%
  2. species based on personality

53.8%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Corraidhín

Corraidhín Supernova

oh? I have been using the Gaveliere's sprites since the beginning, I was not aware of Blanchard's work, ill take a look at that page c:

Edit: Ok I think this should fix the issue I was having ^^ thank you very much!

Blanchard and Roskii Heiral like this.
    • Blanchard

Blanchard Big Damn Hero

Happy to be of help~

For others who've come here for the mod, the finished mod is in my post on page 34 of this thread. DO NOT DOWNLOAD THE MOD FROM PAGE 1 OF THIS THREAD; IT'S OUT OF DATE.

• acidicVine

acidicVine Space Hobo

@Blanchard I've tried several times to install it through Stardew Valley Mod Manager and it's just coming up with errors. Can you walk me through it please? I want to make sure I'm doing it wrong rather than the files aren't working... Thanks.

• Bluegrahl

Bluegrahl Intergalactic Tourist

@Gaveliere
          I've found multiplie errors on Shane. For example him on the flower dance (in case he participate). There also appeard an error on his sprite and more of an "no image", in a drinking scene, where he wanted to roll of the cliff. Is there a way to fix that? 20170409144046_1.jpg 20170409144049_1.jpg 20170409145226_1.jpg 20170409145235_1.jpg

• Bonabopn

Bonabopn Fluffiest Squirrel

Why doesn't anyone read some of the latest replies before posting? The last five pages or so have just been people saying the same thing. s:

Gavaliere has been AWOL since last may, which is why there are sprite issues with their mod. Other players have made unofficial fixes and edits to make up for it.
            Blanchard has made a compiled edit of many fixes and additions, which can be found on page 34 here. c:

Roskii Heiral and Blanchard like this.
            • Bluegrahl

Bluegrahl Intergalactic Tourist

@Bonabopn
              Oh! I'm very sorry for that D: THank you very much!

• Blanchard

Blanchard Big Damn Hero

@acidicVine I packaged the instructions in my zip file (which you can find on page 34). Do not install with mod manager; this mod should be manually installed with my included instructions. As always be sure to use my file included on Page 34 of the thread and to manually install the mod each time Stardew Valley updates.

As for some of those one-off sprites, as Bonabopn said if it wasn't done by the original mod author and it hasn't been community-added yet then they are going to be missing until they can be community-created, which would have to be commissioned or volunteered. I've been thinking about combing through and finding whatever is still missing and seeking help in finishing the small-scale sprites as they are found, since when the game updates it's likely new assets will be added that the mod won't have assets to replace (such as romanceable Shane in 1.1, though fortunately Shane's arc is still cohesively sprited if using my pack). Of course, that could wind up being something of an endless project, but one that I kind of feel is worth tackling if it means a more cohesive and complete mod for all.

Last edited: Apr 9, 2017
                • Roskii Heiral

Roskii Heiral Heliosphere

Yeah, everytime we point someone to page 34, five more come in reporting bugs before reading the last page, its so crazy. I feel so bad for Gavaliere, gonna have so many notifications upon returning, its gonna be wild xD

Blanchard likes this.
                  • HopeWasHere

HopeWasHere Existential Complex

If there are so many people confused and unable to find the right update, why not make a new post titled with "updated" or "unofficial continuation"? That way those who can't find it have an easier place to look, and it will alert others who may be interested in this mod but haven't heard of it

• Roskii Heiral

I think the main reason is that the primary mod author never gave permission to share the original work, so creating a new thread is murky territory (even though it would probably be okay, its a tough call)

Edit: You'd also still have just as many people stumbling into the main thread and bug reporting while completely missing the new thread.

• HopeWasHere

HopeWasHere Existential Complex

Well I don't see how that's much different than what's already being done. Everyone is being directed to download the updated version, so no one is using the original author's download.

• Blanchard

Blanchard Big Damn Hero

It's been talked about in here, but there are two reasons:
                          One, I wanted to be sure my pack itself was as bug-free as possible before making a standalone post or upload.
                          Two, I didn't actually have permission from all the various authors of the fixes aside from Roskii's cursors file, and the original author hasn't been available to ask obviously.

With that being said I think we're entering the clear on the original author not coming back. I've got a Nexus account as well. I'm thinking of making a standalone post on both here and the Stardew Valley Nexus in the next two days. Hopefully the traffic there is able to outweigh the traffic here. If it doesnt, or one of the authors asks their portion to be pulled, it would kill that thread however. And as people keep asking here I'm sort of worried a standalone will be "drowned out", so to speak, which as Roskii said will basically bring us back to where we're at in this thread anyway.

Last edited: Apr 11, 2017
                          • Roskii Heiral

@Jonesy

I saw you online and thought you might be able to help us work through this. Any thoughts on creating a new thread? I appreciate Blanchard's work and commitment to not stepping on toes, but it could really help. (Sorry if this is the wrong way to get your attention)

Blanchard likes this.
                            • Blanchard

Blanchard Big Damn Hero

My hope is that this would wind up being considered a "community project", as the mod author never finished it and had been gone for about a year now and there have been several people who came and went adding to and fixing as time went on. If I had proper permission from someone it would be pretty fantastic, as the mod author is long gone and only did a portion of the work of the final mod.

• Jonesy

Jonesy Sarif's Attack Kangaroo Forum Moderator

OP hasn't been online in a year, which is a pretty significant hiatus as far as I'm concerned. Ideally, I'd transfer control of the thread to someone else, but I'm not sure how that's impacted by forum rules surrounding mod permissions (which I've not dealt with much beyond common-or-garden asset theft).

So, perhaps a new thread would be in order for a new version of the mod, provided that's permissible based on the author's wishes. I could edit the main to include a link to that project, making it clear that it's a fan-made continuation of what might otherwise be a stalled project.

• Blanchard

Blanchard Big Damn Hero

That would be fantastic @Jonesy! I think leaving the thread here archived as-is and including a link to the new thread would be the best solution, as it shouldn't step on any toes should the author actually come back but people will be much more easily directed there. The original mod is currently non-functional, which has caused a lot of people to download it and assume it's simply broken without realizing we've finished 99% of it and it works otherwise perfectly. I'll dig around and see if the author had any qualms about using their assets; if not do you mind if I message you once a new thread is up so it can be included in the original post as an addition?

Roskii Heiral likes this.
                                  • Jonesy

Yeah, go ahead and contact me when you find some indication that the author's OK with it.

• Blanchard

Blanchard Big Damn Hero

@Jonesy I actually found a precedent earlier than I expected: on March 15th 2016 the mod author replied to Asriel Dreemurr who asked if they could use and alter Gav's sprite work to make a hair mod. Gav gave their blessing:

"And sure! I don't see why not. Feel free to play around with the files. Should be fun."

Based on the language used, would that be enough to equate to consent in using their original work and working with + editing it to derive a complete mod from it?

Edit: On March 16th 2016 Gav used a community-edited file and put it in the main file:

"dunno about you but I have zero complaints about the edits you made. They look noice. I hope you don't mind if I just add em to the main file."

It seems this was something of a community effort from earlier on than I realized.

Last edited: Apr 11, 2017
                                      • Jonesy

Alright then. As long as it's made clear that the new version of the mod is a derivation of the original, and provides a link as a reference, you should be able to make a thread for it.

• Blanchard

Blanchard Big Damn Hero

I appreciate that~ I'll shoot you one last message as soon as I set it up. Thanks again.

Thread Status:
                                          Not open for further replies.