Modding Help Help figuring out firearms offset values.

Discussion in 'Starbound Modding' started by Uacher, Apr 3, 2017.

1. Uacher

Uacher Scruffy Nerf-Herder

I've been working to create a few racial firearms and I'm basing them on the beta stage weapons. For the humans, I wanna mod a custom pulse rifle.

Now, I do manage to get the thing working, I can spawn it, it fires the projectiles I assign and the description shows what I wrote. But the problem is that the weapon's offset simply doesn't seem to work. No matter whatever values I give it to the .activeitem file, There's no visible change in-game.

I used the durasteel assault rifle's .activeitem file as a base and passed the values from the original pulse rifle into it.

Thanks for the help in advance.

2. Nexus Of Chaos

Nexus Of Chaos Parsec Taste Tester

can we see the .activeitem?

3. lazarus78

lazarus78 The Waste of Time

Are you deleting the item you spawned in and spawning in a new one each time?

As troublesome as it may be, it is bet to delete the item after testing, then close out of the game completely, make your changes, then start up the game and spawn in a new item.

projectmayhem likes this.
  4. Cyel

Cyel Scruffy Nerf-Herder

^I'd think a /reload or F8, then throwing the weapon and getting it back should be enough here

IHart likes this.
  5. lazarus78

You would think, but nope. The values seem to be saved in the item itself and not recalculated on load. Only graphics changes have I had success with changing mid game and doing a /reload.

6. Uacher

It's alright. I managed to workaround the problem by basically copying the original pulse rifle file and making the alterations to disable the procedural generation.

Now, one thing I would like some help with is how to make custom abilities work. I created a variant of the rebounding spray special ability added by the "Expanded Weapon Generation" mod to fit with the pulse rifle specifically. The thing that happens is the weapon that has the custom special ability spawns as a perfectly generic item.

7. IHart

IHart Scruffy Nerf-Herder

You added the new ability to /items/buildscripts/weaponabilities.config ?

lazarus78 likes this.
  8. lazarus78

Huh... that answeres a problem I was having a little while back... Didn't know that needed to be done, thought it would use the ID name of the weapon ability itself, not pull from a list.

9. IHart

IHart Scruffy Nerf-Herder

it got me the first time too. definitely deviates from the handling of other references.

10. Uacher

Yes, I did. However, I suspect that I may have done something wrong in my alterations. I'll paste the code in the next post after this so that you can check it.

Last edited: Apr 5, 2017