RP No Man's Land- Chapter 2: Off the Rails (On Hiatus)

Discussion in 'Role Playing' started by Roland Weiss, Jan 17, 2017.

1. Dragonclaw

Dragonclaw Supernova

"So I get to test fire it and see if I lose my arm? I'll do that."

2. Roland Weiss

Roland Weiss Tiy's Beard

She been fiddling with a radio.
    Well, it's just you and Lance here, at any rate.
    ---
    You could probably cut one out of metal bar stock using a grinder, since you don't have a lathe.
    "Uh, it won't go 'boom' per se, unless something went horribly wrong. Okay, maybe a sonic boom from the projectile, but you know..."
    It's a kludged assembly of coils and wiring. It's hooked up to a backpack sized power cell, and you can almost hear an electrical hum as you get close.
    "Actually, I was talking about ergonomics."
    If you take a look at this thing, the first question that might come to mind is 'how do you hold it?' as it lacks the expected furniture.

Dragonclaw likes this.
  3. HunterC1998

HunterC1998 Cosmos Killer

"Best stick with the group, come on.." Lance slowly follows after the group, watching around for more raider bodies, while also looking for a way to more easily carry his new pistol.

4. BlueShard

BlueShard Giant Laser Beams

"The killing part is the part I really care about."

He looks over at the other merc next to the contraption and back to the tinkerers.

"This thing can be carried by a person?"

5. Dragonclaw

Dragonclaw Supernova

He looks around for the trigger.
    "Where's the trigger? I bet I can figure out how to use this from there..."

6. Arra

Arra The End of Time

Jade follows Lance, looking around as she does

Maxwell looks around for a grinder, planning to cut out five rails

Dragonclaw likes this.
  7. Roland Weiss

Roland Weiss Tiy's Beard

The guy you filched it off of is wearing a holster; might want to take that before you go.
    Your first comment nets you a dirty look. "There's a science to this, jack; and it might kill you when it blows up." She takes a moment to rub the bridge of her nose. "And I dunno if you can carry it. I don't think that was the plan, anyway."
    She points out a button sitting on the side of the unit, just dangling from a length of wire. "That'll set it off. It'll run for a very short pulse, hopefully turning off the coils in sequence before the projectile passes them. It'll need calibration though, which'll be a pain in the ass."
    There's not much more to see here that you haven't already seen.
    ---
    You have a hand-held one as part of the collection of tools. You take a bar, cutting five pieces off of it, and grind them into shape. It takes some time, but you get it done.

Dragonclaw likes this.
  8. HunterC1998

Right, not like he hauled the monster around like this, he steps back and takes it and fits it on himself quickly and starts back after the others.

9. Arra

Arra The End of Time

Jade heads to the next car, motioning for lance to follow

Maxwell tries to make a rather nasty barbed rail, hoping he could actually pull it off

10. HunterC1998

He follows in his slow pace.

11. Roland Weiss

Roland Weiss Tiy's Beard

You step out into the storm. You barely see the others walking ahead.
    As you step outside, you are buffeted by the wind and dust. You see that the others are walking past the next car, heading for the front of the train.
    ---
    You aren't making arrowheads. If you were to make the slugs barbed, you'd also have to make the projectile as a whole smaller; it still needs to fit in the same sized channel, after all.

Arra likes this.
  12. HunterC1998

He follows and does his best to quickly close the distance to Jade, pulling his hat off and handing it up to Jade to help fend off the wind and does the same with the edge of his duster.

13. Arra

Arra The End of Time

Jade puts Lance's hat on, following Lance.

Maxwell tries to see if he can finagle it to where he can make it even more stable

14. Roland Weiss

Roland Weiss Tiy's Beard

After a short distance, you see the group ahead of you step into one of the cars.
    You have to keep one hand on the hat to stop it from blowing away.
    ---
    Standard practice for stabilizing railgun or coilgun projectiles is by adding fins, along with a discarding sabot, or armature, in the case of a railgun. Machining that might be asking too much with just a grinder and a drill.

------

@Jareix Cryvix
    Both of you and the one-armed man make it to your destination, the smaller, and certainly more cramped, lead car. It might've been called the locomotive, if the motors that drove the train weren't evenly distributed among the cars.

15. Arra

Arra The End of Time

Jade just keeps following, cursing this bitter turn of events
    --------

He tries to see if he can add some fins to it, or possibly even make a sabot that would fit a coilgun

16. HunterC1998

He heads into the car behind them.

17. Dragonclaw

Dragonclaw Supernova

"Are you done with the first bit of calibration and need me to shoot so you can fine tune it? Or do you need to start calibrating?"

18. Roland Weiss

Roland Weiss Tiy's Beard

You're now in the front car, and out of the storm. This one is in better condition than the rest of the train, though that's not saying much.
    ---
    It's very time consuming to do so without better tools. Starting with a blank piece, you grind it down, leaving some of the material to serve as fins; the sabot you make out of some of the removed material. You end up having to use one of the hands of Rook's exoskeleton as an impromptu vise. The end result is fairly crude, but should work.
    You're now in the front car, with its surprising lack of bodies. You see that the one-armed man is trying to figure out of the control console.
    She fiddles for a moment with the device's settings. "Unless you can source me a chronograph, all I can do is guesstimate the delay... measured in microseconds, of course." She takes a good look over the whole unit, furrowing her brow. "Y'know, I think you might've gone overboard. Might need to bolt it to a vehicle or exo if we want it to be portable."

Dragonclaw likes this.
  19. HunterC1998

He walks up to the one armed man with a chuckle, "Goddamn, we got men with efficiently one stepper and we got one with literally one grabber...Whatcha doing here fella?"

Arra likes this.
  20. Arra

Arra The End of Time

Jade stays beside Lance, gawking slightly at the one armed man

Maxwell smiles at his work.....He looks for a cable, a strong synthetic one hopefully.