1. Welcome to the Starbound support forums. Please check the support FAQs before posting: http://playstarbound.com/support

Bug/Issue Grappling Hook/Rain Physics cause FPS Drops

Discussion in 'Starbound Support' started by Marcus101RR, Dec 31, 2016.

1. Marcus101RR

Marcus101RR Void-Bound Voyager

Tested On: Multiplayer & Single Player
    Character: Casual
    View Screenshot: Image 1, Image 2 (1.2.3b)

Bug: If the Grappling hook is extended to its max length, as well as bending over blocks it severely drops the frame rate. This can be noticed even further by using 2 grappling hooks at the same time. In addition, the new rain/storm effects cause also mediocre frame drops.

Windows 7 64-Bit Home Edition
    AMD FX-8350 8-Core
    NVidia GTX 960 4GB
    16 GB RAM

Additional Notes: Tried this on servers as well, more players online, even more frame rate drops.
    How to Resolve: None yet.

Last edited: Apr 3, 2017
  2. lazarus78

lazarus78 The Waste of Time

I saw a tweet recently from one of the devs asking about people with AMD processors and having lag issues. Might be worth looking into.

3. Nexus Of Chaos

Nexus Of Chaos Parsec Taste Tester

i use AMD (with an Intel backup to fall against if the AMD is unable to handle it or disabled) and i don't get any lag

also, i understand y u call it severe frame rate drop, but i call it ok. for me a severe frame rate drop is 2-3 FPS at max

4. lazarus78

A drop from 60, 50, 40, or even 30 FPS down to 16 would be severe. That is a loss of between 25 and 50% frames.

Not sure how you have a backup processor when AMD and Intel require different motherboards.

5. Nexus Of Chaos

I have an AMD GPU and Intel on my CPU. If one can't handle it, the game may switch to the other if it can

6. lazarus78

That is completely different from what I said. GPU =/= CPU.

7. Nexus Of Chaos

ik
    GPU=/=CPU, but i still hav SB running on AMD with no lag

8. lazarus78

On an AMD graphics card, which isnt what I was talking about. I was talking about AMD CPUs.