RELEASED New Map: Jungle Temple v1.0

Adds new custom maps to the game.

1. Ulithium_Dragon

Ulithium_Dragon Space Kumquat

It's the skeleton key (I thought the description was enough of a hint for that). Go unlock the Skull Caverns in the base game and then you can unlock that door.

I mainly just was using that as a placeholder until there was a way for me to add my own key hunting puzzles.

• soss

soss Tentacle Wrangler

Thanks! At first I was confused because I had the Key but hadn't paid off the Vault Bundle, but now there seems to be another issue wherein I do have the caverns unlocked and the dialog for the oil thing still isn't showing. The cursor changes whenever I mouse over the spot, so I know something's there, it's just... not there? I don't know. Sorry again.

• Ulithium_Dragon

Just activate right in front of runed sign blocking the doorway. Either of the two squares will work.

Make sure you have the most up to date version of my mod.

• soss

soss Tentacle Wrangler

Hey! Fixed the problem :) It turned out that I was just being stupid and needed to right-click instead of pressing x to enter doorways and such like I usually do. Surprisingly, this ended the confusion I was having with another mod that also used Entoarox's Framework! Yay for small victories =D

• Ulithium_Dragon

Mmm, Entoarox Framework has some button limitations at the moment. For example, if you're playing with a gamepad, pressing A to continue dialog that would normally end the dialog instead repeats the last dialog. You need to use right bumper to continue+close it (for some reason).

• 13akoors

13akoors Scruffy Nerf-Herder

This looks incredibly awesome. Going to have to download it and check it out.

Btw, Ulithium_Dragon, if there's ever any issues with Tego's Stardew Expansion not working with this, just let me know and I'll patch it out.

Last edited: Apr 9, 2017
              • hwayunhae

hwayunhae Pangalactic Porcupine

ALL has been giving me an error when I try to run this and 13akoors' TSE version at the same time. (it basically says they both edit woods.xnb, and then TSE doesn't load any changes to my game world. D: )

Gonna try taking out Jungle and see if TSE is working without it, cause I know Jungle Temple was working before I added TSE. I'll be able to update for sure as soon as I test it.

• 13akoors

Strange...I just modified TSE to make it work with this mod (want to use this in my personal game). That said, I might have made the change for the unreleased update, so I'll check with a fresh download

EDIT: Yep, it's on my end. The patch hasn't been released yet. Should be done sometime today.

EDIT2: New version is out. Should work correctly with this mod

Last edited: Apr 18, 2017
                    hwayunhae likes this.
                  • Ulithium_Dragon

Hmmm... I run TSE and my mod just fine together. They seem to both be able to edit the woods simultaneously in fact (i.e. the path to the temple is open, as well as the additional woods paths and warp to TSE's High Hills or w.e. it was called).

When I eventually circle back around to this project, I'll spend some time converting my Woods edits to be solely though ALL. That way no conflicts can occur no matter what, as my mod won't need to edit woods.xnb directly.

• 13akoors

I'm actually not sure how you got it to work. When I tested it, the game crashed. Regardless, there should no longer be any issues...but I agree using ALL would be best. If Tego's maps didn't have 100+ tile changes per map, I'd do the same.

The maps look good so far. Looking forward to seeing the new content as you release it

• Ulithium_Dragon

Unfortunately even though the area I put the path to the temple in *looks* small, it probably IS close to 100 tile changes all together.

So I'm not at all looking forward to the 2+ hours of tedious cataloging of tile IDs, coordinates, and layers that I'd need to do to make these edits purely using ALL... =.=

13akoors likes this.
                        • Overdreams

Overdreams Void-Bound Voyager

I love this mod, it takes away the tranquility aura from the Secret Woods and leaves us with a sense of danger and curiosity, like, "What is this place and what did they use to here?". It really reminds me of the temple from The Jungle Book, I entered there for the first time ready to defend myself from a giant fat monkey. Haha

I would like to make some suggestions. Have you ever thought about posting an alternate version with the vanilla woods setup, just adding the temple entrance?

And I do not know if this should be easy to implement, but it would be nice to find a treasure chest inside one of those rooms, similar to the chests on the mines. The Treasure could be some Rare Seeds (since the Sweet Gem Berry is appreciated by the stone statue on the Secret Woods) or a currently unobtainable item (like Elf Blade or Galaxy Slingshot).

Anyways, thanks for the contribution and keep up the good work! :)

• Ulithium_Dragon

Well:

1) I could do that, but it would mean hours of work manually adding all the tile changes I made in the maps to ALL's manifest.json for my mod instead of editing the map. Maybe I will do that at some point, but don't hold your breath... :L
                            2) I wanted to add rewards, but could not. ALL did not (and still does not afaik) have any way to handle giving the player items. I always wanted to do key hunting puzzles, but was stymied by the same limitation. :[

---
                            I haven't really played Starbound though since right before the v1.2 update, and I dunno when I'll get back to it. I've got a large number of other projects I've been working on lately, including on for an RPG Maker game (which frankly is much more fulfilling and less frustrating than making maps for SDV, as I have none of the annoying limitations like the ones mentioned above).

So I guess what I'm saying here is that I'd consider this mod on Hiatus at the moment.

If anyone wants to edit or add to my maps, they have my full permission to doso. All I ask is that you give proper credit to me as the OC. :]

• Overdreams

Overdreams Void-Bound Voyager

Oh, I see. :(

1) I just suggested it because I thought it should be easy, but since it's not the case, we better leave it alone. I prefer the new version, by the way.
                              2) I'll use CJB Item Spawner to generate an item and pretend I got it there, no big problem. lol

Anyway, thanks for replying!

• 13akoors

Hello, everyone. Because of the permission given by Ulithium, and by talking directly to Ulithium directly, I decided to assist in upkeeping the mod while Ulithium is away. Because of this, I looked a bit more closely into the mod (which I love, btw), and discovered some huge issues with the coding of the mod. After spending several days fixing it, and making a few other minor edits, I am pleased to post it here for you all to use.

Changelog:
                                1. Completely removed the Woods map. This is due to a) the map actually being cloned from Tego's Stardew Expansion (which could be considered theft by using), and b) because the tiles could be added via ALL instead of modifying the map. This change makes the mod (theoretically) work with all other mods, as well as fixes the "warping bug" from awhile ago (it wasn't a bug at all). For those who liked the Woods map, simply download Tego's Stardew Expansion and it'll be back.
                                2. Removed multiple tilesheets. The mod previously contained 10-13 tilesheets, one of which was of questionable origin, 5 weren't being used at all, and 2 were using a single tile each. After adding the 2 used tiles onto the custom tilesheet and removing several dependencies, the mod now uses only 5 tilesheets.
                                3. Simplified the code drastically. Originally, the mod contained over 1700 lines of code. This was reduced down to around 1300, meaning 20% of the written code was actually unneeded or doing the same thing twice.
                                4. Minor map changes. This involves adding a few tiles and making some modifications to make tiles properly appear below the player, instead of above. Also, temporarially changed the floor in the Junction Room, because the original was too pixelated.
                                5. Changed the mod from a .7z to .zip format, because I kept thinking the mod was on version 1.0.7 instead of 1.0 (not all changes need a grand reason, right :p )
                                All in all, there is very little changes that you'll be able to see, but internally the mod is much lighter. Eventually, I am planning to add more content (and maybe change up a few current maps to be a bit bigger), but with EntoaroxFramework currently not working fully, there isn't a lot of big changes I can make. Hopefully, SMAPI 2.0 and ALL/EntoFramework updates will arrive soon, which should allow for the new features Ulithium was looking for, and allow more work to occur.

EDIT: Wow, just looked at v1.0 and realized the size went from 235KB to 75KB. I really didn't think it got that much smaller...)

Attached Files:

Baconfry and Ulithium_Dragon like this.
                                • Ulithium_Dragon

I barely knew WTF I was doing with JSON coding, and I always intended to go back and make the edits to the Woods soely done by code rather than tile edits to the map file (to avoid any conflicts), but never got around to it.

As for the tilesheets, I got mixed replies when I was asking for help. Iirc I included many duplicates based on the different seasons so that the tiles that were set to change color by season did not do so (otherwise you'd end up with "patchwork" jungle consisting of 1/2 snow in the winter, and 1/2 dead leaves in the autumn). If this isn't required, then by all means get rid of the tile sheets. I just could never get it to work right without those clone files (but I've been pretty out of the loop for a while and it's quite possible that ALL or SMAPI was changed so that this is no longer an issue).

Thanks for maintaining the mod in my stead btw.

13akoors likes this.
                                  • 13akoors

The tilesheets as they were weren't needed, since they were all the same. That said, I'm also planning to try fixing the patchwork problem, but that'll take some time as it requires builing fall/summer/winter vatiants of the default custom tilesheet, and since I can barely tilesheet edit....that'll be awhile. That, and ALL is actually causing every map mod to do the patchwork issue right now, so.... the modding scene's a mess right now.

As for the Woods, you're all re-coded now. No map, only ALL.

Always happy to maintain map mods. If you come back full/part time, let me know and I'll just assist as you ask for it :)

• Ulithium_Dragon

They were all the same (but named with summer/winter/spring/fall) in order to prevent the leaves from changing color with each season. As far as I could tell, each season was pointing at a different cloned file, and I was told (at the time) that was how it should be set up to prevent the changing of seasonal tiles for the default tiles. *Shrug*

As long as you're sure there's no snow on the ground during the winter, or red leaves during the autumn, then removing them is fine ofc.

• 13akoors

It shouldn't, as the exterior is set to Outdoor: F, but I'll fully test just to make sure

EDIT: Can confirm, there is no seasonal tiles on the map. Tested in winter

That is, unless ALL is causing a bug so that I can't see it...but if that's the case, no one else would see it, either. So, either way, there's no seasonal tiles :)

Last edited: Aug 1, 2017