1. Welcome to the Starbound support forums. Please check the support FAQs before posting: http://playstarbound.com/support

Bug/Issue Duplicate Crew?

Discussion in 'Starbound Support' started by moomoomilkman, Jul 26, 2016.

1. Healthire

Healthire Can't Most Program the Least

They haven't been made to disappear, unfortunately. Retroactively dealing with the effects of bugs would lead to a huge amount of code in the game dedicated to just cleaning up things from previous versions.

What you can do to clear them out is cause them to have a script error. This can be done by going into single player and entering the following command while hovering your mouse over the NPC:

Code:
    /entityeval self.behavior = "thisisastring"

This will cause the NPC to die. Any duplicates will not respawn, but the originals will respawn after a few seconds.

Mogipoki, DragonsForce and Preday like this.
  2. Preday

Preday Starship Captain

Thank you. I will try this. Hope it works!

3. Mogipoki

Mogipoki Void-Bound Voyager

My whole crew duplicated after I replaced the .SHIPWORLD and .SHIPWORLD bak1-3 with older ones. I'm not sure why it did that but I resolved it easily, just can't get rid of the tailor duplicate. Even when I try to talk to him, he doesn't respond. So he's just walking around my ship like a ghost or something.

4. TheBlackSun

TheBlackSun Scruffy Nerf-Herder

I know I'm a tad late, but if you manage to trap both of them together, you can kill them with lava. As soon as you manage to kill both at the same moment, only one will respawn. If they die one after the other, both will respawn. It's a bit fiddly, but as long as the devs don't give us a proper console command for clone cleaning, it'll continue to be a pain to deal with.

Once you dismiss the real Tailor though, you're stuck with the clone AFAIK.

Last edited: Mar 30, 2017
  5. DragonsForce

DragonsForce Weight of the Sky

Guys, the methode to kill them is literally at the top of this page:

6. TheBlackSun

I can't remember if I tried this method myself, but I know what happens when your crew NPCs die. If you don't kill every clone of the NPC along with the original at the same time, even the clones used to respawn on my ship sometimes - unless I dismissed the original first. Then I was able to kill the clones one after the other without respawns - but then the original is gone too, of course.

However, if all clones and the original die in the exact same moment, the respawn procedure gets the commands to respawn the NPC with that ID 4x or however many you had, and because it already has a respawn cued for that ID, it dismisses any other of the same ID. If you take your time though, killing one after the other, that cue is empty and each kill will trigger the "respawn NPC with ID ___" event, thus the clones will respawn, too.

At least, that's my experience. Unless it's different with a script error, basically causing NPCs to "die for good" [not triggering any respawns even for the original], I'd assume it's the same as killing with lava. However, I'll definitely keep that in mind, for the next time it happens and then I'll see if it's that easy.

Last edited: Mar 30, 2017
  7. DragonsForce

DragonsForce Weight of the Sky

Did you actually read what I was referring to? I even quoted it... Here, let me try that again.
    And as that comes from a dev, I'm pretty sure that it is true. They tend to kinda know their way around stuff they coded.

TheBlackSun likes this.
  8. TheBlackSun

Oh, certainly! I indeed didn't trace that back to the top of the page. Brilliant! That means I've got an easier fix now. Allons-y!

DragonsForce likes this.
  9. Healthire

Healthire Can't Most Program the Least

Here is a quicker solution for getting all the npcs at once. Same method as above, open chat window, hover over any NPC, and enter the following:

Code:
    /entityeval world.entityQuery(entity.position(), 200, {includedTypes={"npc"}, callScript="error"})

DragonsForce likes this.
  10. Mr T

Mr T Void-Bound Voyager

I've had the same problem with my crew but it was offline. I'll try the method up top too but it doesn't work. It just says /server> nil

Last edited: Oct 1, 2017
  11. ForestNinja8

ForestNinja8 Space Hobo

i figured out a fix somewhat. dismiss all crew, then kill all duplicates with insta kill gun mod. then, they will respawn as valid crew and you can dismiss them.

12. Shadox2.0

Shadox2.0 Spaceman Spiff

^ This or "Npc Killer" mod on workshop (i use this one).