WIP Timeskip Mods (Help wanted/needed/appreciated!)

Discussion in 'Mods' started by sallychan, Mar 1, 2017.

1. sallychan

sallychan Space Penguin Leader

*March 3, 2017 UPDATE: Preview of Elliot's house!
    *March 21, 2017 UPDATE: Alex's sprite sheet finished, Sebastian/Abby in progress.
    *April 10, 2017 UPDATE: New previews of Alex/Penny's house. Sprite sheets/portraits/dialogue almost complete for both!​

-----

This is actually several mod projects I'm taking on, but the basic rundown is:

1. Timeskip Town: This is for players that have saves waayy up in years (at least 4+), and is going to have everyone in town aged up a few years. Key points would be all date-able NPCs, and teenaged versions of Vincent/Jas. Planning on new sprites, portraits, and updated dialogue!
    2. Penny's Happy Ending: I love Penny, and I feel awful for her when I marry someone else. Will her life ever improve? When will her dreams come true? Well this mod is here to give Penny her marriage/children/house ideal! My personal bias has this mod with her married to Alex, but I'll also be making a Sam version for those that married Alex themselves (or if you prefer Sam/Penny anyway).
    3. Sebastian/Abigail's Hermit Life: I got to thinking about the abandoned house on the cliff by the sea, and thought Abby would absolutely adore the idea of flipping it and living there--the only problem being an adorable but pesky little mouse selling hats inside of it. Aside from that set back, her and Seb (with Robin's help) turn it into quite the impressive little cabin for the semi-nomadic, magical adventurers. Also they're dating.
    -----

PROGRESS:

Timeskip Town:
    • Elliot's New Home
    • [​IMG]
    • This is post you helping him with his book, and he has become a successful author!
    • I've updated his house tiles, as well as making him (quite a gorgeous, if I'm allowed to toot my own horn) baby grand piano, a new clawfoot writing desk, and a new sculpture (by Leah) of his bust. I also spruced up his bonsai tree because the only one looked like a sprout imo.
    TO DO:
    • *This mod requires quite a bit of artwork, and is on going to go slowly--mostly because it's the easiest as far as coding goes. Once I'm satisfied with my progress in the other mods, I'll start trudging through the many Portraits and Sprites that need updating.
    Penny's Happy Ending:
    • Maps and tilesheets for exterior and interior of the house are more-or-less done! :D I'll probably be making edits as I finish the coding, but for now it looks good.
    • New previews of the house exterior and interior!
      [​IMG]
      (Dining/living area in WIP)
      [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

• All doors and warps work as they should
    • Penny's paths have been successfully changed to roam around the house and tend to the baby.
    • New sprites/animations!
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    • Alex's sprite sheet for his new outfit is done!
    [​IMG]

TO-DO:
    • Finish schedules for every day/season
    • Update dialogue for Alex/Penny/Pam/Evelyn/George to acknowledge mods
    • Additional new sprite animations? (Open to suggestions)
    • Edit exterior/interior maps for each season.
    • Edit the maps for the "Sam" version.
    HELP NEEDED
    • Edit Alex's schedule/paths to have him spawn in the house. (SMAPI needed?)
      • Temp. Workaround -> Walks to the trailer at 6:10AM
    • Mod Alex/Penny to make them un-romancible
    Sebastian/Abigail's Hermit Life:
    • Maps and tilesheets for exterior and interior of the cabin are done! Again, I'll probably make changes, but we'll see.
    • I gave them a black cat that I'm calling 'Simone' (can you find her? :3)
    • **March 3, 2017, Added an attic to the cabin.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    • Sebastian and Abby's sprite sheet is underway!
    [​IMG]
    TO-DO
    • Edit Sebastian and Abby's schedules around the cabin.
    • Add Sebastian's motorcycle in the garage.
    • Update dialogue for Abigail/Seb/Robin/Demetrius/Maru/Pierre/Caroline/Wiazard/Sam to acknowledge the move and the adventuring lifestyle.
    • Updated sprites/portraits for Seb and Abby.
    • Edit exterior/interior maps for each season.
    HELP NEEDED
    • Cannot find or edit coding for the Hat Mouse in order to move him off of the site. (He gets a little shed, don't worry.) Hat Mouse successfully moved off site!! :DD
    • Edit Sebastian and Abby's schedules/paths to have them spawn in the cabin. (SMAPI needed?)
    • SMAPI needed to make new maps functional.
    I'll be updating this page as I go along. Help is deeply appreciated! <3

Last edited: Apr 10, 2017
      HopeWasHere, firion, SlyMerc and 7 others like this.
    • Karmylla

Karmylla Space Kumquat

I really like this project, I hope you don't get discouraged with all the work this entails! You will need a SMAPI, that's for sure!
      My main is map editing, so I guess you won't need my help :p
      You should explicit what you would like for the new Abigail and Seb's sprites, we might start working on them. A nice animation for Abi would be of her training with her sword. Seb could be reading a book, etc.
      About the Hat Mouse, you can't take him out of the house? Have you checked the coding in the forest map? Or the properties of the map? I can look it up for you when I get home!

sallychan likes this.
      • sallychan

Oh hey!! :DD

I wasn't very clear, but I have all the sprites and such under control myself. I wrote this thread too early in the morning ;___; gah. But those are excellent ideas! I was also going to have Seb work on his bike outside.

Any who, no I can't find the properties for hat mouse or the caravan anywhere!! D: I've opened every dang file I can think of and dug around the forest map. Unless it's written in only numbered code under the map properties, I have no idea where it is.

Thanks in advance!!

**EDIT Okay I got home and sorted everything so people know what I actually need help with. sobs

Last edited: Mar 2, 2017
          Karmylla likes this.
        • Androxilogin

Androxilogin Giant Laser Beams

I was actually working on a few of these things in different projects, mainly "Pam's house upgrade", (as I called it). I did a downstairs inside then decided I would probably use it for something else since the future will probably give Pam and Penny an 'official' upgrade of sorts. I'd figure Hat mouse to be hardcoded since it is a shop and whatnot. The idea of having 'dateable' characters actually end up dating or marrying other npcs was something I planned on messing around with as well but put it on the back burner due to other mod ideas popping up. I saw an age progression mod was in the works here somewhere too which is also a fantastic idea. Very cool stuff!

sallychan likes this.
          • Feathered Sparks

Feathered Sparks Big Damn Hero

Ooh this is multiple mods? I've seen you talking about this on your tumblr, but I'd thought it was just one giant one. I'm excited to see the final product, and once you release it I'll probably cave and download at least one because evidence of time passing and character development is something I really want to see more of ;_; Sadly I know basically nothing about modding, but I just wanted to comment and say that this looks great so far and good luck getting everything sorted :3

sallychan likes this.
            • sallychan

I figured the same for the Hat Mouse, but Pierre's shop has a tile on the register with the properties "Action | Buy General"... so I assumed perhaps this can also be moved, and maybe shops are less serious code than I thought

Thanks a lot! I hope I can get all of these to work as I need them too @__@

Androxilogin likes this.
              • sallychan

Awww thank you! <3 >w<

I really enjoy the idea of age progression too, and I hope CA eventually adds it to the game seeing as you can keep playing for years and years. It maybe be more difficult to have NPCs marry one another though, since now you have the option of divorce and re-marriage in-game >__> Aw well.

I hope I have more stuff to show soon!

• Platonymous

Platonymous Big Damn Hero

While the Action to open the shop is linked to the tileIndex of the bottom of the door and can be placed anywhere, the actual mouse-sprite and caravan positions are both hardcoded. Using SMAPI is the only way to change it.

[​IMG]

There is however one workaround that should work without coding: Replace the Mouse sprites in the Cursors.xnb with transparent tiles and build the shop directly into the map/building.
                  Just make sure that the tile that's supposed to open the shop has the index 1972.

The Caravan Action position isn't linked to a tileIndex so you can't change that without coding.

Last edited: Mar 3, 2017
                    sallychan likes this.
                  • sallychan

Thank you! I have tried this, but I've run into one odd problem with it... when I replace the hat shop with transparent tiles, this appears in my farmhouse:

[​IMG]

I believe it's a graphic of... fireworks? It's around Idx 4710 in the Cursors tilesheet. Any idea why that would appear?

Also, there's no way to edit the index to 1972, is there? Basically, exactly where the door is is where the mouse has to be w/o SMAPI.
                    I need to use SMAPI to create the new map of the interior of the house anyway, so I might as well do that too... boo :'(

I'm going to need to familiarize myself with C# sobs

• Voltaic123

Voltaic123 Pangalactic Porcupine

There's a bug with unpacking the cursors file, it screws up the transparency somehow. I'm not sure how to fix it exactly, but if you google about the cursors file there is a lot of results, sift thru there and maybe there's an answer? All i know is it occurs during the unpacking process :(

sallychan likes this.
                      • sallychan

GAHHH!! How annoying!! ;___;

It looks like the fix is to have an old version of the Cursors.xnb in order for it to unpack correctly. [goes on the hunt]

Thank you!!! That was going to drive me up a wall.

**Edit: Fixed!! Thank goodness. Should anyone else happen to encounter this issue, the fix was unpacking/repacking the Cursor.xnb file with XNB.Kit.1.1

Last edited: Mar 4, 2017
                        • Platonymous

There seem to be some transparency problems, those are supposed to be the lights coming through the windows, I ran into that problem before but I thought it would be resolved by now. Maybe check if your xnb node is the latest version.

The mouse sprite can be wherever you want it to be, the idx 1972 tile is just where the trigger for the shop will be and it doesn't have to be the door, you can change the tile in the sprite sheet to look like anything and place it anywhere on the forest map in the buildings layer. You can also extend the original tilesheet or add custom tilesheets to the map if you need more tiles. The fact that the trigger tile needs to be at index 1972 doesn't really limit you in any way.

You don't need SMAPI to build the new map though, only to wire it all in. I would advice you to just finish all the maps, sprites, dialogs, shedules etc. and then ask on the forum if someone will do the coding part for you. It's not all that complicated if the content itself is already there, but if you're not familiar with C# it sure adds a lot of unnecessary time to the process. And there's really no good Tutorial for the specifics either, you mostly learn from reading the decompiled SDV code and other mods with available source code. Learning C# is nice and all, but you don't need to it to get this mod working.

• sallychan

Ah, that's excellent news! But how do you edit it then? When I open up the tiles properties for it, I cannot change the index.

[​IMG]

Right now the tile where the shop trigger should be is on 1782, and I can click on it and highlight it, but I cannot type anything to change it. :(

OH Yes, I know that I don't need it to design the maps, I only meant to get them up and running in-game. The Seb/Abby map is all finishd in tiDE, I just can't test it without SMAPI, since it's totally new. (Not edited, like the "Trailer" one for Penny's new house.)

It's so kind of people on the forum to help others with their mods like that! I'd love to have someone help/do the code for me... I guess I'm just more accustomed to completing projects on my own. I thought I should be finishing all the maps/sprites/etc before I did any coding anyway, so that works out. :'3

• Platonymous

I think you might be misunderstanding what that index is. The tileindex is fixed to the position in the spritesheet but is completely unrelated to it's position on the map, you can just delete it at its current position on the map and put it somewhere else, you could even put multipe tiles of index 1972 on the map and it would triger the shop at each of them. And ofcourse you can use your paint tool to make the tile at index 1972 look like anything. So in your current state I assume tile 1972 is the bottom tile of your door just like before. That doesn't work, you have to plaint the replacement tile somewhere else on the spritesheet and put that new one onto the map, while the one you are currently using as yout bottom door tile (1972) needs to look like it should look at the new mousehouse and be placed accordingly.

I looked into your Cursor.XNB problem some more and my xnb node version does the same thing, it seems to happen during unpacking. So I extracted the XNB through Stardew itself using SMAPI and now it doesn't seem to have that issue, but you can test it yourself:
                              - Cursors_unpacked.zip contains the extracted content as is (with mouse still in it) in case you or others want to make changes to it,
                              - Hatterless_Cursors.zip contains the packed Cursors.xnb with the mouse already edited out. I didn't encounter any graphical issues with this version, let me know if it works for you.

Attached Files:

• sallychan

OH I SEE!! I'm sorry, I've kind of been picking this up as I go, and was thinking perhaps I misunderstood what the index was in the first place (which is the tile # in the tilesheet)
                                It works, it works!! :DD I'm so happy yay!!

And thank you for looking into the Cursors issue too! Fortunately, I found a solution a little bit ago--I had to use XNB.Kit.1.1 to unpack/repack it, and that kept it from pixilating. So bizarre.

• Cider

Cider Ketchup Robot

Yeeeees I love this idea. Can't wait to see more of this.

Few questions, how will you handle the ten heart quest when the other spouses start to couple with each other? Will they get new events? Also do you have any plans on giving them jobs and having more businesses entering into the valley?

Last edited: Mar 4, 2017
                                    sallychan likes this.
                                  • sallychan

I was actually really debating adding new quests and events in, mostly because I'd like to remove the option to date/marry whichever characters are married/in relationships. The easiest way would be with quests, like "I'd like to give my wife [name] this, can you bring it to me?" etc etc, but I'd love to be able to work in new triggered events, even just new ones for 2/4/6/8 heart events! Just to give the player a glimpse into their new lives, and update on past personal issues that they've since resolved.

I definitely wanted to make a cinematic for when you first enter the new homes at the very least though :')

• sallychan

Been silent a couple weeks on this, but I've been playing with maps and sprite sheets in the mean time! :p

Of course, I've run into a bit of an issue again... how does one add into animationDescriptions an animation that doesn't follow the 16x32 frame size?
                                      I found Willy (Dick's) fishing animation while looking around, and thought it would be cute to have Sebastian fishing some days... but how does that work?
                                      [​IMG]

[​IMG]
                                      I thought they were all temp sprites (like Elliot/Pam's for the ice fishing) but then realized Willy fishes like this all the damn time: so how would you do that?

Thanks guys!! ;v;

• DreamerDrop

DreamerDrop Scruffy Nerf-Herder

This both extremely ambitious and very cute. For the most part, I am very excited about possibly not having to feel guilty every playthrough because I married someone other than Penny. Alex would make a good match for her, they'd both relate to their circumstances, and Penny would never make him feel "stupid".

But also, that house for Abigail and Sebastian is REALLY cute. I like their cat.

sallychan likes this.
                                        • sallychan

Thank you!! <3 Penny having to stay in that trailer is just so dang sad ;-;

The cabin for Seb and Abby was so fun to make! Packing all of their nerd/adventure gear into such a small space just seems so... them, hehe