Best possible first day?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Chibi88, Mar 20, 2017.

1. Chibi88

Chibi88 Aquatic Astronaut

Hello,

I want to maximise my income and want to have an optimal first day. I thought I can get a lot of money with fishing to buy more seeds but I do get the fishing rod on the second day.

Any tips to get as much money as possible on the first day to buy more seeds to maximise the income? Any other tips to get a _perfect_ start?

• LuthienNightwolf

LuthienNightwolf Oxygen Tank

Sell anything you can get your hands on. That's about all I can think of for day one, you won't have much else available to you yet. Bare in mind though a lot of what you pick up is going to be very useful later on. But you asked about profit. ;)

• Jerev

Jerev Pangalactic Porcupine

• LuthienNightwolf

^Good advice for the first season, but as far as day one...

Use can also use your scythe to start cutting as many bushes as you can reach, they will occasionally drop mixed seeds, which can grow into several different types of crops. You can find quite a few of these bushes around town as well, so it pays to wander around a bit.

• Reuter

Reuter Space Spelunker

Best first day has to be cutting weeds for mixed seeds like Luthien said and getting every forage item that's available I think. Can;t make to much money the first day. You could sell you're wood you cut but wood is real important early on imo.
          That guide is kinda misleading I think. He calls it a powergamers build but a lot of the time when people gave suggestions for how it could be better he got kinda defensive and called it a farm-heavy build. I know he said it wasn't perfect but you gotta take advice when it makes sense i think. If you only wanna farm then I guess his is the way to go. It seems like it works but I guess I wouldn't call it powergaming. Theres a long guid e I used that was very good. How to make money something by Shourky. If your good at fishing you'll like ti. Another guy Filmstudy made a guide that gets a lot of sprinklers and he makes huge farms but I didn't try his.

• Jack Of Shades

Jack Of Shades Pangalactic Porcupine

Foraging is number one. As mentioned, slicing up plants on the farm for mixed seeds could mean the difference between a good first start and a slow first start-money wise. Again though, there isn't a whole lot you can really do to maximize the money at the very first day. But if you forage around town, gather mixed seeds, and accumulate raw materails (stone, wood, etc) you'll be blasting through the rest of the year.

• Jerev

I know that it isn't a perfect build, but if you look for that you should search this forum. There were some threads in the last weeks and months.

• Borodin

Borodin Oxygen Tank

Since your goal is money, you have to think longterm. That means planting crops as soon as possible is essential for you. Fish will bring you more immediate income, but if you want to get your cash crops going at once, you need to clear some land, buy seeds, plant and water them. And while you're at it, if you have any cash left over, buy a boost or two to energy. You'll be needing them.

• Dwarfus

Dwarfus Big Damn Hero

I agree with what most people have said about selling anything you find. It can be a while before the gold starts really rolling in, and any little bit helps. I'd like to add that if you see a dig spot with the worms/stems, dig in it! Sure, there might just be clay, but there might also be an artifact. You get a really nice gold reward for donating your first artifact that's really helpful in the very beginning of the game.

Jack Of Shades likes this.
                  • Chibi88

Do you guys know any Youtubers who do "speed runs" or "optimal runs"? I mean videos which are fast and not 20 minutes in the char creation screen to get a quick overlook how they manage the first days.

• Jack Of Shades

Jack Of Shades Pangalactic Porcupine

From what I noticed (and read) the first day will not yield TRUE profits. This game is mostly about: If you want money, you can have it... later. Invest, snowball your actions, and in the coming months/years you'll be making LARGE sums of gold. Basically, invest time and energy and it pays off. Just like anything in life! :) So , make wise decisions early on and it will pay off in the long run. That's a REAL fact.

oldbutgamingstill likes this.
                      • LuthienNightwolf

One of our forum members has a LP series and as far as I'm aware it's pretty straightforward. His approach is for optimal financial results but you can probably still learn a lot of good tips. Here's the first video, I'm sure you can find the rest. :)

• Shoukry

Shoukry Big Damn Hero

Speed runs . . . how? What are you trying to do quickly? Finish the Community Center? Level your skills? Optimal meaning what? What are you trying to optimize? The thing about this game is you usually have to focus on one aspect to the detriment of others, and I use the word detriment loosely. Are you trying to complete all of the achievements? Are you wanting to ranch or farm? Min-max or relax? Level skills equally or max one and move on to the next? Optimal, much like this game, is subjective and it will be difficult to help you without a little more detail. The fishing mini-game is a microcosm of Stardew Valley itself: it's never harder than when you first begin. People seem happy to help you, but we need a little more information, in my opinion.

P.S. If this is your first character, I would recommend throwing yourself into the game without using any reference materials. My first playthrough resulted in me retiring with a terribly inefficient, ugly farm, which has, by far, been my favorite farm I made and I wish I could go back to not knowing anything about this game for how immersive and magical that first playthrough was.

• LuthienNightwolf

^ My feelings are the same, if this is your first save, however I'm pro-Wiki. lol I don't think it hurts to have a resource to look to if you aren't sure about something. I studied the Wiki for a week before I even started playing and there were still plenty of things I didn't know, or wasn't experienced enough yet to do well. It also helps to keep notes, and write down your objectives each season so you can tackle them in order. The amount of things the game will ask you to do can be overwhelming in the beginning, especially to a newcomer.

My first farm was a mess too. I didn't plan out the layout, it all just sorta came together as I learned. This was pre 1.1, so if I wanted to move a building, I had to destroy it and build it again. If I didn't like where my fruit trees were, I had to chop them down. All of this on top of the incredibly rushed pace of default time, which I fixed with a mod somewhere in mid-year 3. After that I had much more time to plan, explore, take things in. It was by no means the "perfect" farm, but it was my first, and your first farm is kinda special. :)

Your first farm is for figuring things out. The second farm, you'll be pretty experienced and you'll have a better idea of what direction you want to go and the best way to get there.

oldbutgamingstill likes this.
                            • Smallcorners

Smallcorners Subatomic Cosmonaut

What she said, and it is not a race to the end, or about making the most money by day X. The point is being able to continue to the next season, and the season after that. Grandpa only cares a couple points about how much cash you made on day one, or day 600. Plant your parsnips, chop trees, make fertilizer, sell parsnips that are not gold, buy more of them and some of the other seeds, rinse/repeat. Pay attention to how long they need to grow, add one day, and subtract that from 28 to see if you have time for that crop.

You really do start making money, farming, when you get those first couple chickens and mayo machines. Preserve jars and kegs, help rack up gold too, and work to get that greenhouse! Just know that none of that will happen overnight, it is a process, and you will, in time, develop a rhythm.

My first farm is a mess, still, my second is much better, and my third is another mess! Mostly from trying the different landscapes. Just enjoy it.

LuthienNightwolf likes this.
                              • Chibi88

I saw a lot of youtubers only buying parsnips. May I ask why? I've read that potatoes are the best crop in spring and it is the best to get them.

• LuthienNightwolf

You do need 5 gold-quality parsnips for one of the community center bundles, it's possible they were trying for that. Or it might just be they were going for the cheapest seeds. Everyone will have different strategies, I myself usually buy a little of everything, even in the beginning.

• Jerev

If you want to have the greenhouse in your first year, you need the five goldstar parsnips as Luthien said. I would highly recommend it. When you take the fruit bat cave you can speed up the process even more, because you can use easily obtained fruits instead of animal products for one of the other greenhouse bundles.

• LuthienNightwolf

For the Quality Crops bundle, you also have the option of using 5 gold-star pumpkins, melons, or corn (and you can grow corn in Summer *and* Fall, in addition to it being a multiple-harvest crop, so you'll have plenty of opportunity with it) - so if the parsnips don't work out, you still have other options.

• NikkSword

NikkSword Pangalactic Porcupine

Just to paraphrase everyone-
                                        • Stardew Valley is more of a 'long term' game, meaning it is hard to answer your question about an optimal first day. It depends on what you want to be optimal. There are different strategies you can use, but I think the best one is just to go at your own pace and enjoy the game rather than asking what the best strategy is. Stardew is not a 'Speed run' type of game, as there are a lot of different aspects you can choose to focus on, and your optimal first day would not be nearly as important as your optimal first season.
                                        • Overall, forage as much as you can, chop wood, break stones and gather for the long run. There is only so much you can do with the energy you have, so you can eat some forage items for more energy and not sell them for skills and materials to use (and not get gold) or sell your items for gold (but between running around to forage and chopping wood/breaking stones you might not have the energy left to till/plant/water)
                                        • You can focus on farming and buy turnips to start out. Socializing is important, foraging, fishing, mining... and so on. It depends on what you want to focus on. I hate fishing but many people really enjoy it. I like farming, but some people love mining instead, some people focus more on materials like chopping wood to make a chest, a scarecrow and other items. I have seen others suggest upgrading tools, and others say that you only really need a certain tool like the watering can upgraded