Let's talk Slingshots.

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by Xylia, Mar 14, 2017.

1. Xylia

Xylia Tiy's Beard

Seriously.

The most useless item in the game, for me. The Slingshots.

First, you can't drop or sell them (which I would totally do if given the option the way they currently are). I have never used a slingshot and I never will. I roll my eyes when I get to the floors where you get the slingshot, wishing it would have been a new sword, pair of boots, or even a ring. But the slingshot is 100% useless.

Why is it useless?

The controls make it impossible for me to actually use the stupid thing. I cannot wrap my head around the totally strange and awkward controls that make no sense to me whatsoever. Unlike any other game, you have to do this weird thing where you hold the mouse button (I think?) and jerk the mouse in the opposite direction of where you're pointing the thing to pull the sling back. It's very counter-intuitive and entirely awkward.

So here's a suggestion:

Step 1). Mouse Cursor aims the thing.
    Step 2). Click, hold button down to pull the sling back.
    Step 3). Release button to let go of the sling, thus firing your shot.
    Step 4). ???
    Step 5). Suddenly the slingshot is awesome and it works like any other similar weapon in any other game and I would actually find it useful and non-useless.

Oh, and Step 6).

1 Stone -> 10 pebbles (Combat Lv3-4 crafting recipe). Pebbles are the new ammo. Pebbles would obviously stack to 999.

There. Slingshots would suddenly be something I would enjoy getting and would keep one around for the utility, and/or the explosive rounds when I need to kill mummies or some such.

Not that I'd actually go to the Skull Cavern or anything, as per that thread about said Cavern on the main general discussion forum...

waffleblooded and Fuzzyman like this.
    • Fuzzyman

Fuzzyman Scruffy Nerf-Herder

yeah, mine just occupy a spot in a chest

• GARRthePIRATE

GARRthePIRATE Big Damn Hero

Yeah... Right there with you. It's a very awkward experience and I was totally bummed when I couldn't sell mine... neither could I throw it away into the trash... nor could I throw it into the lakes. SMH

• Jack Of Shades

Jack Of Shades Pangalactic Porcupine

Slingshot, meh. Was really hoping for a bow of some sort.

waffleblooded likes this.
          • waffleblooded

waffleblooded Intergalactic Tourist

I was excited when I got my first slingshot in the game. Controls were a real let-down and I currently have an "out of sight, out of mind" chest holding more slingshots than I would prefer.

Fixing the mechanics is definitely something ConcernedApe ought to look in to.

• Jack Of Shades

I do too. Both versions sit in my chest with my ores and ingots. Although, they're at the top (where I hardly venture) so I sometimes forget they're there. Lol

GARRthePIRATE likes this.
              • Baruch_S

Baruch_S Big Damn Hero

I've honestly never even used the slingshot in over 300 hours of gameplay. CA could just as well remove it entirely since it doesn't work in the simple combat system.

• Jack Of Shades

I have yet to try explosive ammo, but I feel like it would be useful given the chance. I totally forgot about that until now.

• Lilliput

Lilliput Supernova

In theory, with the right ammo, it can be a devastating weapon. The problem with it is a) as everyone else on this thread has noted, the mechanics of using it stink like a warthog in July, and b) the 'right ammo' is Iridium ore, which is a heck of an expensive and wasteful use of the stuff.

• GARRthePIRATE

I do agree with Xylia, ammo should be "pebbles" like 1 resource=10 pebbles. Then if there were modifiers like in Journey of the Prairie King arcade game. Like 2-shot or spread, shotgun. I would definately use it even with the funky controls.

• sunlite

sunlite Pangalactic Porcupine

I put a chest in front of a villagers walkway and my slingshot inside it. It's gone.

Hammurabi and Lilliput like this.
                        • Lilliput

Lilliput Supernova

And then, two weeks later, you roll over in bed and find it on the pillow next to you.

*FADE TO BLACK*

• Jack Of Shades

We have the rough beginnings to a "Stardew Valley Nightmare."

• GARRthePIRATE

I like it. "Stardew Valley Nightmare: Tales of a Useless Slingshot"

Jack Of Shades likes this.
                              • Dwarfus

Dwarfus Big Damn Hero

I agree. I've actually made mental notes of which levels in the mine have chests with slingshots so I know not to open them. They can't be sold or thrown away, and pretty much just occupy space in a chest.

• jafred2015

jafred2015 Void-Bound Voyager

I find "use hardware cursor" option helps with knowing where your cursor is behind you when aiming the slingshot. With this, I've been able to make it somewhat usable. I agree that the controls as is are awkward, but like with fishing, a little practice helps.