RELEASED Sebastian Portrait! (Finally there's a mod to support mine)

Discussion in 'Portraits' started by inktho, Aug 1, 2016.

1. inktho

inktho Aquatic Astronaut

2017/4/5 - Oh My God There's a Mod That Supports Large Portraits Now
    AND IT WORKS!
    I even took some screenshots using mine:
    http://i.imgur.com/ndUAgoR.png
    http://i.imgur.com/YCnau5L.png

What it requires:
    - SMAPI (http://canimod.com/for-players/install-smapi)
    - "Portraiture" mod (here) (Download the older version if you're still using SDV 1.11!)

The mod uses .png's instead of .xnb's, interestingly.
    Here's the file for my portrait mod.
    (You'll have to rename it to "Sebastian.png")

There's instructions for how to use the mod on the page (let's be real if I could figure it out, you shouldn't have any issues LOL)

Now I really want to do portraits for everyone else... I'll get to them eventually but I hope you enjoy Sebby for now!

--
    I decided to make a Sebastian portrait mod (and planned to make one for the others eventually) but I foolishly pixeled him at 128x128 instead of 64x64 and to downsize it makes it look...bad (and would require a lot of reworking)...

I'd really like to implement a higher res portrait in my game but I have no luck in finding a way how.
    I found a thread from a few months ago but it seems his project was never finished bc he couldn't find other artists and therefore never shipped the mod... (his res was at 256x256 anyway but it's far easier to upscale rather than downscale)

[​IMG]

Maybe I'm just being stubborn but I think this resolution gives a lot more freedom than 64x64 so it would be really neat to figure out how to use higher res portraits!

Here's what it looks like 256x256 btw (it's just upscaled 200%):

[​IMG] (I'm not even sure if it would be this size in-game anyway)

If I can get this to work, I'd love to make more for the rest of the characters
    !

Last edited: Apr 6, 2017
    • Mr.Mudkipss

Mr.Mudkipss Big Damn Hero

THESE LOOK GREAT! I hope you figure it out :3

• peachitto

peachitto Scruffy Nerf-Herder

wow, he looks so amazing! very nice work!!

it's a little frustrating the files have to be 64x64 but what you see in-game is 128x128 anyway. i've never programmed/coded anything beyond simple HTML so it all sounds very confusing to me...
        i hope there is a solution somehow... because this looks so good! it would be a shame for you to not be able to use it!

• Sereru

Sereru Aquatic Astronaut

Ahhhh!!! My husband!!! These look incredible! I especially love the ones from his motorcycle scene *spoilers?*. Those have always been my favorite in any Sebastian set, for some reason.

• inktho

inktho Aquatic Astronaut

Thanks for the positive responses, guys! I did some light investigating and apparently the guy working on the HQ mod had been absent bc of computer issues but he should be finishing it eventually after all! So maybe I'll wait until then... ; v ;

• Noroxus

Noroxus Void-Bound Voyager

Wow these look really good! O:

• Cobalt_Tea

Cobalt_Tea Big Damn Hero

goodness,your art style is super adorable! ;o; <3

• Sky303

Sky303 Subatomic Cosmonaut

The shading is fucking phenomenal, I hope you find a way to implement the larger size. The pixel size restriction makes it hard to have nice portraits :( Well done mate.

• inktho

inktho Aquatic Astronaut

Thanks guys! Still not luck on implementing a larger size so I might try doing 64x64 and seeing the best I can make of that for now.

• HopelessSpaceCadet

HopelessSpaceCadet Big Damn Hero

OMG! I love your art style! I wonder how Elliot (my hubby ^^) would look in your style....makes me wonder...you should do him next! if you plan to do anymore. I really like you Sebastion. he looks so adorable!

• Gamerweiss

Gamerweiss Scruffy Nerf-Herder

HIS SQUINTY DISAPPROVING LOOK AFJALKSDJOIAWJAWJFJADFAWODJI--

*rebooting*

Unfortunately, I can't actually assist with your question at all. I don't have any idea how coding works or anything like that. I just think this art style is absolutely adorable and I hope you do more. If I didn't have a thing about every portrait needing to be in the same style, I'd totally use him. ;u; <3

• Cobalt_Tea

Cobalt_Tea Big Damn Hero

hello again! theres a mod that just came out on nexusmods that allows larger portraits. i saw it and immediately remembered this thread :) its here if you want to give it a look!

• Rachaelora

Rachaelora Void-Bound Voyager

I really dig his look in this hoping for a download soon

• Bold Heart

Bold Heart Void-Bound Voyager

I just found this and wow, wow, wow. Cutest Sebastian ever. Now I'm a huge fan of your art!

• inktho

inktho Aquatic Astronaut

OH MY GOD finally! I'll try it out and if things go smoothly I'll share here.

• inktho

inktho Aquatic Astronaut

It worked!! T_T I'm so pleased that it actually worked so easily... I put up the file for sharing. Definitely thinking about doing more portraits but I haven't done any pixeling since this project... 9 months ago LOL.

In the meantime I could easily do non-pixel portraits if anyone is interested.

Kateish and SheepMilks like this.
                                  • asdasdgfrw

asdasdgfrw Title Not Found

I'm not sure if bigger than 128x128 would fit with the rest of the game, but it would be fantastic if you made other characters!

• SheepMilks

SheepMilks Phantasmal Quasar

I would personally love it! your art style is amazing <3
                                      I wonder how you would do Alex!

• inkumi

inkumi Scruffy Nerf-Herder

HOLY COW your art is so gorgeous ;_; I'd love to see more - pixel or otherwise!

Orion and Dog likes this.
                                        • Anul

Anul Orbital Explorer

This is so beautiful I hope you make more *.*