Modding Help Multiple Choice Dialgoue .yaml explanation?

Discussion in 'Mods' started by haywrites, Mar 12, 2017.

1. haywrites

haywrites Big Damn Hero

Howdy folks!
    I'm having a hard time understanding how Multiple Choice works in Dialogue. I've read the Stardew Valley Modding Guide and unfortunately it leaves an important piece of information.

Here's my example.
    Code:
    Mon: "Yep. I'm a blacksmith.#$e#My father was also a blacksmith.#$e#My grandfather was a blacksmith as well.$u#$q 9/9 Mon_old#I bet you can't guess what my great-grandfather was...#$r 9 30 Mon_9#A blacksmith.#$r 9 50 Mon_clown#A silly clown.#$r 9 -50 Mon_rude#A sarcastic jerk." #!String
        Mon_old: "And yes, my great-grandfather was also a blacksmith." #!String
        Mon_9: "How'd you know?$u" #!String
        Mon_clown: "Hahahaha. Good one.$h" #!String
        Mon_rude: "Wow. That was rude. I was just being funny and you took it to a whole new level." #!String
    What does the 9/9 stand for after the $q? What is that number called? What is it's purpose? Why does it change from conversation to conversation?

Would Mon_9 as a response clash if you talked to the character on the 9th of spring?

Also, why are the replies always started with "word_old"?

I hope to hear from you!

• springacres

springacres Phantasmal Quasar

I think the reason the replies start with "word_old" is so that the game can tell which response to use if you've already answered the question. As for the rest of it, best guess is that the "9" might have to do with the heart level after which this dialogue no longer comes up? I've only just begun tweaking .yaml dialogue files though.

• Androxilogin

Androxilogin Giant Laser Beams

I believe the / is to tell the logic to look elsewhere for other responses. I'm mobile now so I can't scroll to the right.. I've edited this specific dialog though. And I believe @springacres is right about the _old. Mon4 would be hearts Mon4_1 would be four hearts year one, I believe. It would be nice to have a better tutorial.. I just figured it out as I go along by what is there and this thread was extremely helpful, although not 100% the same.

Last edited: Mar 13, 2017
        • joykiller91

joykiller91 Astral Cartographer

From my own tinkering it'll be written as 'spring_9' if you want it to trigger on 9th of spring. Mon_9 will probably be like 9th year of spring on a Monday (but I haven't edited year dialogues so I'm not 100% sure) I'm actually still confused about the 9/9 part. I'm okay reading the other stuff but I don't get the number. Abigail has different sets even 17/18...etc
          :(

Androxilogin likes this.
          • Androxilogin

I'm actually very accustom to it while editing but explaining is completely beyond me. I typically go for ie:

Mon4: "Blah blah.$2#$e#Eh?#$q 01/02/03 #$r 01 10 Mon4_01#Hey! #$r 02 5 Mon4_02#Yeah. #$r 03 -5 Mon4_03#No." #!String

Type-format. Works for me.

joykiller91 likes this.
            • joykiller91

@Androxilogin I more or less get the idea of it... it's more like what numbers do I use haha. I haven't listed all the used numbers from the questions so I don't double.
              Trying to read from the dialogues itself doesn't give me much X). I'm currently looking into $p which seem to have something to do with $q also.

I appreciate your example though, thanks~

Androxilogin likes this.
              • Androxilogin

Exactly! I agree $p is confusing. Maybe 9/9 ensures it doesn't come up again? Meaning clown and rude could be used elsewhere? Idk, some is still a bit confusing. I get the response and heart addition/release.. Some is just a bit unclear. Some is just soo unclear. There is sense but it barely makes sense if that makes sense.

• joykiller91

@Androxilogin , yeah. I'm fervently wishing for a manual that will never happen. :(
                  I want to test on all possible combo I can think of but my mod is demanding most of my time already so maybe next time haha. Hopefully at least one of us triers can get it working someday hehe X)

• Androxilogin

Here is a starting thread. Lol. It just sucks to not "know it all" beforehand. After learning new things in dialogue and events I'm constantly backtracking. Well, map edits and everything else too, can't rule out the 'everything'.

[Edit]

Hijack unintended. I understand you're looking for answers rather than unconscious conversation, I apologize.

• joykiller91

Haha yes~ if I know how to understand computer language the better (what is it even java? c++?) . I've backtracked a lot... even for something simple like spring_19, for some reason specific dates won't trigger for me and uneven numbered hearts. *sigh*

Lol. Yeah. Sorry original poster. No hijack intended :D