1. Welcome to the Starbound support forums. Please check the support FAQs before posting: http://playstarbound.com/support

Bug/Issue Game performance (Lags)

Discussion in 'Starbound Support' started by Cat_Fuzz, Sep 20, 2016.

1. whereaminow51

whereaminow51 Void-Bound Voyager

I do not suppose you could give me a little more information on this Bottlenecking? I am able to run Tomb Raider and some other games without lagg at medium and low settings, so how is it my computer? If so, Give me a little help here?

2. lazarus78

lazarus78 The Waste of Time

What are your computer specs?

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us...1b4-b746-d14de804b246/open-and-run-dxdiag-exe

Equating game performance between unrelated games is moot. Different games have different requirements. A game like Tomb Raider, for example, is more reliant on GPU power than CPU, where as Starbound is more heavy on the CPU due to it needing to generate content on the fly. Tomb Raider just loads a static level with pre-processed lighting, and relatively no complex physics, so there really isn't a whole lot to process.

If you had a performance issue between, say, Left 4 Dead and Left 4 Dead 2, THEN there is something going on there, because those games use literally the exact same engine, so they should have almost identical requirements and performance levels.

Don''t let Starbound's 2D look fool you, there is a lot going on under the hood that you don't see.

The fact that you say you run Tomb Raider on medium/low settings clues me in that your system isn't very powerful off the bat.

3. whereaminow51

Okay, itll take a while to get specs off my desktop, It has 0 Internet capability. I get all stuff through laptop and then transfer it to desktop basically.
    Left 4 Dead II works perfectly at full details and everything except the Fire and rain sounds do not sound like fire and rain, more like Massive static, other than that, Not a single touch of lagg or frame rate anywhere. Starbound won't run on the laptop for sure. Took 3 minutes to move the mouse over to click exit. Nvidia, I do not have the latest versions installed, I think I am still using version 2.62 of graphics version , anything more and 1/3 of my games stop working completely. Duocore 4gig ram 1 terra drive, windows 7. Resolution is 1360x768. Not sure if it helps but Terraria runs without lagg also.

4. lazarus78

Left 4 Dead is another example of a static environment. A single level is loaded in at a time, lighting is pre-processed. Plus it is an older game, so it isn't very demanding by really any standards.

Terraria generates its whole world at creation, so there isn't much demand there. It is also a few years ahead of where starbound is currently, so it has had a lot more done to it in terms of optimizations and whatnot.

Overall it just sounds like your hardware isn't really up to the task.

5. whereaminow51

That is going to suck. Can't afford a new computer. . . . . So there is a chance they might optimize this later?

6. lazarus78

Optimization is always on their list, but don't expect much from that. There is only so much they can realistically do before it has diminishing returns. Eventually it would be more effective to just start stripping things, but obviously that is not the way to go.

7. glassdragon

glassdragon Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Since it keeps cropping up in this thread, what's a good way to tell if game performance issues are due to CPU bottlenecking or something else? Having that information somewhere easy to find would probably save you and others here a lot of time and effort.

8. lazarus78

Unfortunately making such information more "avalible" does little. Just look at how well pinned threads work out.

There are a lot of things can can be a result of bottlenecking. Slow loading and slow generation are the primary signs, but it can really be a lot of things depending on what a game needs. Starbound may be CPU heavy, but that doesn't mean that your GPU can't bottleneck. Or maybe you don't have enough RAM, so your system starts using pagefile space, which is quite slow. Or, even if the hardware is more than capable, the bottlenecking could be cause by too many applications running, which takes up system resources, so there isn't enough left for the game.

Overall it is easier to just take it case-by-case, even if it is a little annoying repeating things.

9. Nexus Of Chaos

Nexus Of Chaos Parsec Taste Tester

if ur using windows go to power plans or advanced power options and set your computer to the highest performance you can...

or get a different computer if you can't

10. rel00p

rel00p Scruffy Nerf-Herder

In singleplayer I'm dipping below 60 FPS at my base at zoom 4: 55 fps day, 50 fps night, 40-45 fps with rain. When I host a server for two others from the same PC it's much worse. I turned Vsync off, tried adding frameskip 5 (not sure if it worked), turned Steam Overlay off, changed Starbound to high affinity in Task Manager, messed with cores for when hosting (4 cores game, 2 cores server). None of those seem to have helped.

1080p@60Hz Borderless
    FX 6300@4.4GHz
    GTX 970 slight OC
    16 GB DDR3@1600MHz
    120GB SSD
    Windows 10

What am I doing wrong? I did everything I could yet I'm still suffering from low fps. Is this just horribly unoptimized for the FX series?

11. lazarus78

Well... yeah, that is expected. That is much more demanding than just running the game on its own.

No solid proof, but I have suspected for a while that there is an over-arching AMD issue. Many of the people I've seen with issues, unless otherwise explained, are often using AMD based systems. I see it more often than one could reasonably call a coincidence, but I have no baseline for the claim.

12. Gotcha!

Gotcha! Pangalactic Porcupine

After not having played for a while (since 1.1) I decided to check out 1.2 and I see the performance issues are still here.
    Are you guys ever going to fix these?

Videocard: AMD Radeon R9 290x (4 gb memory)
    CPU: Intel i7-4820k, 8 cpu's @ 3.70 ghz
    RAM: 16 gb

Being able to run GTA 5 and The Witcher 3 at max settings, but having struggles with a game that's mostly drawn in crude pixels. Come on, guys. Fix this stuff already.
    Note that the performance issues mainly exist where there's food growing/npc's present.
    Also having major low fps spikes when my character travels the line between the underground/surface level and when going to the core of the final boss level. The latter is especially annoying, since I can't do anything else but watch a frozen screen for a second after which my character dies from impacting after the long drop.
    Certain missions are very slow as well.

Pardon me for sounding annoyed, but I haven't been able to play this game normally since 1.0 came out.

Last edited: Mar 29, 2017
  13. lazarus78

As has been said many times before. whether or not they resolve the issues is dependent heavily on if they can find the source of them. Otherwise, they would have more luck finding a needle in a needle stack. And that is assuming your issues are the a result of the same problem that others are having problems with as well.

Sounds like slow loading off the hard drive.And SSD can fix most of that.

14. Gotcha!

I have SSD's. I refuse to believe it has anything to do with my own hardware, since it's the only game out many games I've played in the past years that runs like a one-legged dog and because plenty of others experience it as well.
    I'm sure you're just trying to help, but you're not helping me; I just want the developers to stop adding more and more content and bring their game to a playable state. I'm utterly flabbergasted that these things still remain an issue after such a long time.

15. lazarus78

Again. If they cant find the source of the problem, then they have little hope of resolving it. They need to know what triggers the problem in order to reproduce it on their end, thus they can debug it and find out what in the code is failing. What do you expect them to do when they cant reproduce the issue? Unless you are willing to ship them your computer, they clearly can't reproduce this issue on their end, so expecting it to get fixed is moot.

And, as I also said, that is assuming your performance issues are caused by the same issue as everyone else.

16. Gotcha!

Again, I'm sure you think you're helping, but you are not. How do you think your standard answer is helpful to me? It is not.
    Devs can get all kinds of info from me if they want, if they haven't already have enough from the many other people out there. If so, I'd love to hear from them. But I can't do anything with your standard replies.
    Just stop replying to me, thanks. I'm frustrated about this broken game enough already and have no need for your information.

17. lazarus78

Actually I am not really trying to help you here. Your comment about why the devs haven't fixed the problem is my issue because it shows a lack of understanding of what is going on. You cant fix what you cant find. So you being "flabbergasted" about this seems baseless to me.

18. Iris Blanche

Iris Blanche Pudding Paradox Forum Moderator

And now we all calm down okay? :nurushock:

Regards
    Iris Blanche

19. Gotcha!

By all means, stop replying to me then.
    Sure thing.

20. Gotcha!

@Devs;
    - Turning on debug mode I noticed that the max frames do not go past 30, both when running the 32-bit and 64-bit .exe. This seems abnormal to me since my other games run at 60 fps and from what I read from some players so should Starbound. Is this normal behaviour?
    - Note that my fps drop as low to 10 when I'm in my home base, a base that isn't as gigantic as some bases I've seen. It's quite modest actually.
    - Turning off vsync puts my fps between 50-60 on my ship and on random planets. It's still between 10-20 in my base. (Why isn't there an option menu in the game to tweak settings like this?)
    - Why is the OpenGL option removed? That option always ran the game fine on my pc.
    - I've uninstalled the Steam version and installed the GoG version; no difference, so no Steam-related issues for me.

I've added a log file, just in case.

Come on, Chucklefish. Please stop creating more content and fix people's issues first. Then take baby steps while adding more content to insure the game doesn't cave in on itself.

Again, pardon my frustration here, but after years of waiting I do think it's time for Starbound reach a playable state. The game's at 1.2, not in a beta phase.

Attached Files: