Modding Help can you use humanoid arm and body frames?

Discussion in 'Starbound Modding' started by Zanderfel, Mar 2, 2017.

1. Zanderfel

Zanderfel Big Damn Hero

I would like to use some of the frames for the front and back arms and some of the body frames like when you jump, swim, run etc. and add them to the windup, fire, wait animation frames for attacking with a melee weapon....if this can be done then i can make some seriously amazing attack animations!

ive tried doing something like this

"fire1" : {
    "frontArmFrame" : "idle.1",<-----\
    "backArmFrame" : "run.3",<-------- tilesets in the same folder as the .weaponability that i use for the combo's maybe? idk
    "malebodyFrame" : "idle.4",<----/
    "backArmRotation" : -10,
    "weaponRotation" : 55,
    "allowFlip" : "true",
    "allowRotation" : "true"
    },

or something like that..this was just an example of something i would have done
    but it does not work...well the arm frames seem to do something but its hard to tell in game.

so am i coding this the wrong way or is it just not possible?.....please help!

2. The | Suit

The | Suit Agent S. Forum Moderator

That really isn't how it all works when it comes to weapons.
    The hand animations are tied to data fed to it by the weapons and rotate in a 360 by the weapon.

Essentially it goes like this

Weapon Detects Mouse Position Activator--> Information provided to body - with weapon specific modifiers -> angle of arm will move accordingly.
    If you want a specific location of each hand - then each weapon has to be one handed - feeding data to each hand separately.

Also the weapons need to be made purely in lua.
    An example is here,
    https://github.com/xxswatelitexx/Starbound/tree/master/mad_Exp/active_item

The other option is - creating a full sprite sheet of custom animations and turning it into a tech
    which is equally complicated in the long run.

Something similar done by Starbender
    http://community.playstarbound.com/resources/starbender.2952/

3. Zanderfel

Zanderfel Big Damn Hero

interesting...so is it safe to say i could theoretically make a script for all melee weapons that would give the ability to utilize both arm and body frames.
    Then using those tile sets so that you could add a line as shown above and it would allow you to slip whatever humanoid frame you want into any weapon swing animation you want?

4. The | Suit

The | Suit Agent S. Forum Moderator

No.
    I think it is better to avoid this until you actually look at how these things work.
    It seems you have a lot of confusion even on the fundamentals, which would result in a lot of wasted time.

Edit:
    Look at the vanilla files and experiment, and look at other mods that do similar things.

Last edited: Mar 2, 2017
  5. Zanderfel

Zanderfel Big Damn Hero

I see...well I suppose my next course of action is to read some literature on the matter first and then revisit.
    thank you for your help and advice :)

6. Inf_Wolf14

Inf_Wolf14 Parsec Taste Tester

Recommend looking into the bow.lua script.
    Code:
    "/items/active/weapons/ranged/bow.lua"

(Or somewhere around there...)

Bows manipulate the arm frames to create the drawback animation for bows. It sounds like a good point of reference for what you are looking for.

IHart likes this.
  7. Zanderfel

Zanderfel Big Damn Hero

!
    thanks I will start there then!, your input is most appreciated

8. IHart

IHart Scruffy Nerf-Herder